The book has been summarised very well by both amazon.co.uk and the other 3 reviewers before me, so I am not going to put forward another synopsis, but will mention what I liked about this book: pretty much everything.

I liked how Mercy had started to come into her own so much more as the mate to the Alpha, Adam, and how their private and loving bonds worked to save both of their lives on more than one occasion. Adam is so male and macho, yet when faced with what he thinks might be Mercy leaving him - either voluntarily or involuntarily, we see his true devotion to her and his love for her, and in one scene it brought to mind the bit in the 70's film Love Story, about love and never having to say sorry. Also, when Mercy defies/kind of leaves out info from him that might put her in danger, he hears her out and takes on board what she is trying to do, and why, even going against laid-down Pack procedures. I really liked that they were so much on the same wave-length, with one common goal, that it was not necessary for Adam to read her mind (he never does this without her permission, though) to know what she was thinking, and what her goal was and that they worked in sync. Adam seemed finally to be secure enough in Mercy's love for him that he wasn't macho and jealous and posturing unnecessarily, though he was still totally Alpha. That's not to say that it is all roses for Adam and Mercy as both fae and Pack-members are working against them, but so much progress has been made since the previous 2 books that Adam is finally able to give into his inner beast when making love to Mercy, which she welcomes and wants.

I also liked how the book focused on Samuel/Sam as a character almost as main as Mercy, and from the very beginning, when he uttered those goodbye words to Mercy in such a way, I had an inkling as to what would happen next. Suffice to say, that Samuel the man, and Sam, his wolf-side, played a great role in this book and I for one was happy to see the characters develop, after 'they' had lost out to Adam in terms of Mercy, in order for them to have a shot at 'their' HEA. Of course, there was the good old loss/pain/unhappiness/despair bit first, which made the ending all that sweeter. I hope that with Samuel/Sam back as a whole, in the next book we get to see even more of him and Ariana/Silver and that they get their true HEA - what we saw of them together in this book, both physically in the here-and-now and in reminiscing about their history, was tender, loving and romantic and showed a side to Samuel/Sam that I'd not realised existed. Also, there are some very sweet moments when Sam emerges and takes control, complete with some funny moments with Gabriel's family.

As always, there is heartache for Mercy in terms of personal losses, but at the end of the book, there seemed to be a chance that in the next, things might be better again. I liked also that through her belief in herself, and Adam's belief in her, she successfully challenged Pack members over their attitudes to her, doing much to bring about harmony and it felt as if one of Mercy's fights had ended in her favour and as the author said, the Pack was happy again.

Where the next book will go, I am not sure, as I've been so used to Mercy facing so much heartache and so many troubles, and I almost don't want the next book in case it jinxes things for her from where this book leaves off. But of course, any Mercy book is an auto-buy, so it will be preordered as soon as amazon advertises it.
on 7 April 2012
Great series would recommend u read them all. people who like a capturing twists of fantasy genre, will crave to read. If you like werewolves , vampires, coyotes, witches and more, this is your dream book! Read today!
on 2 May 2010
I'm a big fan of Mercy, the shap-shifting mechanic and the other regular characters in this series: among them, Adam, the Alpha wolf in the local werewolf pack and Samuel, a doctor and the ancient werewolf son of the Chief American werewolf. The setting, America trying to come to terms with the fact that there really are supernatural beings living next door, is well realized and clever.

This latest installment sees the fey trying to gain possession of an ancient artifact of power which belongs to Mercedes friend Finn, who has been kidnapped and tortured to reveal its whereabouts: naturally, Mercedes has it. She has to rescue Finn, hide the artifact and try to save Samuel who has lost his will to live. Lots of werewolf politics, evil fey and derry doing. Since you wouldn't buy this book unless you were willing to suspend belief, you'll find it well worth the time. Patricia Briggs writes beautifully!
on 15 March 2011
I'm really enjoying this series. I've read them all twice now, having only been introduced to them 6 months ago. There's very few authors I can re-read that quickly. I can assure those who haven't yet tried them that the quality is consistently high, but it is a series that one should read from the beginning.

As other reviewers have said, a lot of this book deals with the internal dynamics of werewolves, in several senses. I like that. I appreciate it when the author has enough respect for the reader to put some thought into the internal laws of their invention, making them consistent and logical. I enjoy discovering what those laws are, and seeing how the author uses them to build the plot. So long as it's all mixed with enough excitement, and in this book it is.
on 12 April 2010
I had been looking forward to this book for what seems like an eternity and I wasn't disappointed!
I must agree with everyone else and say that this was my favourite book of the series, I loved the way Mercy has finally gotten over her demons and is able to let Adam close. I love how their relationship has developed so slowly and gotten finally so very deep.
Mercy is one my all time favorite characters ever, I loved her since the first book and more i read about her the more I can't stop! I can't wait for the next one and I hope so badly that there would be loads of more Mercy books on their way. I cannot imagine the heartache if and when this series comes to an end....
on 8 August 2010
I eagerly looked forward to reading Patricia Briggs latest edition to the Mercy Thompson series. I was not disappointed. I loved Silver Borne as I have love all the books. Silver Borne let us look deeper into the world of the werewolf. I learnt more about the relationship between Adam and Mercy, how much Adam has come to depend on Mercy and how she is slowly coming to terms with the tragedy that took place in Iron Kissed.
My only regret with the book was that the situation with Sam seemed a little under played...hopeful there will be more of him in Patricia Briggs next book...which I'm counting the weeks to buy!
Having been a bit disappointed with Patricia's Alpha and Omega series I was really happy to find that the new title in the Mercy Thompson series was the author back on form for my own personal tastes. The writing was great with Mercy learning to adapt to her new responsibilities as well as discovering a new foe in the shadows. Cracking mystery, as well as great inter-character personal emotional conflict backed up with dialogue that feels that it was written with no real effort on the author's part, as if the characters had spoken directly to her mind. A real treat for any reader of the Urban Fantasy genre.
on 16 May 2010
I eagerly looked forward to Patricia Briggs latest edition to the Mercy Thompson series. I was not disappointed. I loved Silver Borne as I have love all the books. Silver Borne let us look deeper into the world of the werewolf. I learnt more about the relationship between Adam and Mercy, how much Adam has come to depend on Mercy and how she is slowly coming to terms with the tragedy that took place in Iron Kissed.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 17 April 2011
aside from the weird formatting problems that were also present in the fourth book (large gaps between sentences and paragraphs), the story was good and followed on from the fourth very well. mercy is presented with the fact that not only is she not completely accepted by adam's pack, some of them are willing to go extreme lenghs to get her out. at the same time she has to stp a good friend from hurting himself indefinetly...she also has someone trying to kill her....again. great read highly recommend it.
on 23 June 2010
I have read all the Mercy Thompson books to date and have to say this one has now become my favourite. In my opinion, Mercy gets more of a clue of what's going on for others around her. I thoroughly recommend it to followers of the story but it is not a stand alone. It needs to be read in the correct order. An absorbing read.