5.0 out of 5 stars New tool
A great piece of kit allowing quick and easy movement of the camera. Has been used with a Nikon D3 and 70-200mm lens with no problem, no creeping of the head, held very firm. Well made and especially like the tool to increase the grip.
Published on 4 Aug 2010 by MOTRP

3.0 out of 5 stars Wore out fairly quickly
I bough this about two years ago to go with a 190CXPRO4, and together they have become my most used piece of photographic equipment. This is even more so than my camera, as I have owned several different cameras in the time that I have owned this. Initially I though it was great, easy to use. light-weight and portable. Operation is simplicity in itself, and you can get it...
Published 1 month ago by Tescodirect

5.0 out of 5 stars New tool, 4 Aug 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely superb., 20 Aug 2010
This review is from: Manfrotto 327RC2 Light Duty Grip Ball Head (Accessory)
I must admit Im a bit sceptical about Manifrotto kit, having spent £30 on a tripod strap which is really worth about a fiver (its going back), and was concerned this might be in a similar vein. How wrong I was!

This is a quality bit of kit. I use it with a very heavy lens, but this thing locks solid every time. It takes seconds to adjust, and allows pretty much infinte angles almost instantaneously. Other tripod heads just look archaic now, this is fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome - just do it., 29 May 2011
This review is from: Manfrotto 327RC2 Light Duty Grip Ball Head (Accessory)
I couldnt recommend this product more! I used an 'old school' pan and tilt tripod head for years, and cant believe the ease of this head. I was slighlty concerned about the weight of a longer lens, however the head carries quite a few kg's without a problem. Well worth the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good in part - but THINK before buying, 12 Nov 2012
Richard A. McCleery (Wiltshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Manfrotto 327RC2 Light Duty Grip Ball Head (Accessory)
I first saw this concept some years ago. I bought into the idea and this model in 2011, when Manfrotto launched their new improved model. It may be right for you and your specific needs, if so it probably warrants a 4* rating. If not then it might go as low as 2*. On Amazon the reviews are almost all 5* which is pretty glowing, but in my opinion a tad overrated. I made a mistake in buying, if you understand your needs then buy accordingly. If unsure then try and borrow one. Regular users tend to like the grip, non users don't. It may be just right for you or possibly avoided - think before committing.

Very positive 5* reviews tempted me to purchase something I now don't use. I have owned for over a year. I bought this higher spec, newer model #327RC2 over the older #322RC2 and lighter duty #324RC2. On paper it was the better choice - higher load capability, magnesium, newer hollow ball. Eventually it's limitations became clear and mine is gathering dust - awaiting a time to sell.

I have taken this travelling, used for landscape work, and also people/portrait assignments. It's had a fair trial but isn't for me.

Main pros:
* Fast to use - grip/recompose/release - intuitive use
* Reasonable QR baseplate - fast in operation
* Quicker shooting vs a regular ball or 3-way head
* Good for lightweight bodies/lenses used horizontally
* OK for lighter kit in portrait mode
* Can switch to left hand operation if right hand is wanted to fire shutter

Main cons:
* Less grip than a good ball head (pretty much any bigger ball)
* Slips with 17-200 lens, batt.grip Nikon used in portrait mode - despite tightening grip to max
* Useless for really heavy kit offset in portrait mode that forces a high torque on ball
* Shake/blur vs high spec heads in really long exposure use
* Bulky vs most good/big ball heads - not good for walking far
* Relatively heavy for it's weight handling range vs a high spec ball eg Acratech
* Less intuitive if you switch it to left hand operation (palm press, not finger pull)
* Useless for panned stitch shots - no swivel base, requires recomposition
* Will wear out faster if you lose the cloth trigger belt (relieves pressure on ball)

For me the speed wasn't really that much of an advantage. If I had gone to trouble to lug a tripod then the small extra time to think, compose and position my camera properly, with a conventional ball, was time well spent. When I needed to work really fast I found it easier to dispense with a tripod altogether, although sometimes a monopod was still useful.

I'm not knocking it's use - if it's right for you or your friend then all well and good. I'm just suggesting you carefully think through your real needs and priorities before jumping in, swayed by so many glowing 5* reviews.

Once you experience a really good (unfortunately usually relatively heavy and expensive) top tripod and premium ball head you realise that this joystick grip no longer "feels the business"!

Richard Mc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Manfrotto Head, 21 Mar 2012
A. J. Roper (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Manfrotto 327RC2 Light Duty Grip Ball Head (Accessory)
Have recently purchased a Canon 7D and a 400 Canon lens (combined weight quite heavy!). Previously had a Velbon tripod which could not handle the combination and the head was very difficult to adjust to requirements, with too much "flexing" which was exaggerated on long focal lengths. The Manfrotto head is a quality engineered and innovative item which allows pretty precise positioning. For example, I am now able to fix the camera level precisely, using the Canon levelling system. The adjustment for varying weight of lens is effective and prolonged positioning does not incur any lens "creep". The head plate fits firmly to the camera with a "safety catch" release type mechanism which reduces the risk of the camera falling off the head! I still use my Velbon tripod which is quite sturdy for my requirements (had to purchase a Manfrotto adaptor as the tripode/head threads were a different size). In conclusion, a good investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 15 Mar 2011
This review is from: Manfrotto 327RC2 Light Duty Grip Ball Head (Accessory)
Used professionally with Canon 40Ds - perfect camera positioning in the studio. Ball heads are much more intuitive to position than those awkward three-plane twisty things and the chunky pistol grip makes this ball head supremely easy to use. Easy to fit, rock solid hold, accurate positioning and adjustable tension. Usual high Manfrotto engineering quality. Yes, it's expensive....but it's a top quality head and is worth the high price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of kit, 9 Mar 2012
This review is from: Manfrotto 327RC2 Light Duty Grip Ball Head (Accessory)
This ball head is so easy to attach and use. Very quick setup of your camera, the grip can be switched to suit both left and right handers. Just one clench of the grip and you can position it in almost any position you desire using just one hand. No fiddly knobs or levers to play with. This is great if you shoot outdoors, especially on cold days where you may be wearing gloves. It's very well constructed, I'm sure even with heavy use, this will stand the test of time.

Negatives, there aren't many, but they may sway your decision to go with this head or seek an alternative. It is quite heavy, especially when attached to my tripod which in turn is strapped to my camera bag with my lenses, filters and other accessories. For storing, when attached to your tripod the handle does protrude. I have a rucksack style camera bag with the tripod strapped to the side. I've almost taken a few eyes out whilst walking through crowded streets. I could detach it from the tripod and store it away, but I can't afford the space in my bag and really don't want to have to keep attaching, detaching and re-attaching as I shoot landscape and city shots on slow shutter speeds, so I use my tripod frequently when I'm out shooting.

Functionally its a great product, I do love its ease of use and quick setup. But it is slightly inconvenient to carry due to its weight and shape, especially when attached permanently to your tripod.

5.0 out of 5 stars Manfrotto 327RC2 ball head, 3 Aug 2012
Terry Trout "flyfisher" (Staffordshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Manfrotto 327RC2 Light Duty Grip Ball Head (Accessory)
Well I am impressed by the build quality of this ball head. Yes, it is quite big but feels secure offering smooth handling with my 400mm telephoto lens. You can adjust the grip pressure easily, & I found you can pan & track birds with a good level of control. I use a nikon D7000 & various lenses, some of which are farly heavy, but none trouble this head. I would consider this one over the 324, as the construction looks far better & the use of magnesium ensures it will last for years.

4.0 out of 5 stars Search for easy use tripod head, 21 July 2012
This review is from: Manfrotto 327RC2 Light Duty Grip Ball Head (Accessory)
I searched for a long time to find a strong/reliable and easy to use tipod head that was not bulky yet would take the weight of a Nikon D700 plus heavy zoom lenses.

Having tried several, this Manfrotto ball head unit is fantastic, being light, not too bulky and providing pan/tilt movement in all directions and locking solidly when required. The adjustable friction on the ball allows smooth operation if following a moving subject too.

The only MINOR shortcoming is it is designed for right handed users, I am lefthanded. Like most lefthanders I have become well adapted to using items designed for righthanded users.

5.0 out of 5 stars manfrotto 327 rc2 grip ballhead, 10 Feb 2012
J. Marsh "J.Marsh "boggy"" ((Hampshire,England)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Manfrotto 327RC2 Light Duty Grip Ball Head (Accessory)
this type of ballhead is much quicker to use than a standard ballhead, close the trigger on the grip handle move into position release the trigger,done... holds firm when locked in place... the quick release plate is the same as on my 496 rc2 ballhead, and works perfectly, nice well made product....

Manfrotto 327RC2 Light Duty Grip Ball Head