Format: Audio CD|Change

on 17 May 2010
I have been a fan of Tracey's wonderful voice since a band I played in shared a bill with Marine Girls (her first band, I think she was still at school then!)many,many years ago.

This album is sparse and haunting in tone, allowing her wonderful voice to shine through, rather like the earlier EBTG (I was never a fan of the 90's electro-dance stuff)albums, but with a more mature depth nowadays. I have played it through about five times now, each time it gets a little better, after three listens, I would have said four stars.....but now, 'I'll give it five!'.
on 16 May 2010
I had been a little worried that - after the electronic 'bedsit disco' brilliance of last album 'Out of the Woods' - the promised return to Tracey's acoustic roots might prove something of a letdown.

In reality, these tracks (concerned with growing older, reflecting on relationships) are delicate and touching. There have been a few sniffy reviews in the press which seem unable to believe that an adult woman should be writing about what it's like to be a mother, to see friend's relationships break up or to worry about their own future. Yet it's this specificity that makes the album so affecting; the details of other people's lives that say something about our own.

I particularly enjoyed 'Late in the afternoon', which contemplates the passing of time and wonders whether it's possible to keep a long term relationship fresh when there's little new to discover about each other. Alongside 'Long White Dress' and first single 'Oh! The Divorces' this is Tracey at her best: direct lyrics, haunting vocals and a sensitive acoustic production.

There are some faster and more production heavy tracks - 'Hormones' is a handclappy, amusing look at a mother/child realtionship whilst 'Singles Bar' is a brutally honest look at dating again after the end of a relationship. 'Swimming' is a brilliant track that builds and builds.

If you've loved Tracey Thorn's voice in the past, then you should enjoy this album immensely. I do miss the electronica but there's no doubt that these starker backdrops allow the lyrics to really stand out and also enable the vocals to sit right in front of the mix. It's a beautiful album that moved me in its honesty but also made me smile at its sharp observations.
33 comments|20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 July 2010
Like many EBTG fans, I have missed the duo, although not a fan of the last album (I do not like out and out disco music where the beat drowns out any tune). I was hooked by their first single 'Each and Everyone' and consider 'Idlewild' to be their best album by far. 'Missing', 'Single', 'Driving' & 'Better Things' were also good tracks amongst many.

I must admit, I didn't listen to 'Out of the Woods' much, perhaps the mood wasn't there when I bought it, so I approached this new offering with caution. Not to worry, as a complete album, it is good to listen to and I even found a couple of tracks to grace my ipod playlist of favourite EBTG tunes.

In conclusion, if you were a fan of EBTG, then buy this with confidence, you may not love every track according to your own particular taste, but it has everything but Ben.

Oh yes, and I've re-visited 'Out of the Woods' and would recommend that also.
on 17 May 2010
I heard about this album through the guardian website. Tracey Thorn's voice just captured me. Stunningly beautiful as ever and her songs are very honest and open drawing on experiences of life and relationships. I cant stop listening and loving this album.
on 24 June 2012
Tracey Thorn's third solo album "Love And Its Opposite" is quite a beautiful follow-up to the superb "Out Of The Woods" which was undoubtedly more rhythmic. Where this album may lack in tempo, it certainly componsates on lyrical meaning. Tracey's vocals are as strong as ever with their wonderful story telling qualities and soft tones.

The album opens with two heartfelt ballads, both different in styles but equally meaningful. The beautiful piano and string led "Oh, The Divorces!" tells the story of the torment that couples go through when they split up and how this ruptured relationship affects all of those around them. The gentle and soothing "Long White Dress" talks about the propect of marriage and the turmoil of indecision that this may bring. The tempo elevates with the infectious "Hormones", an uptempo yet suave pop song, which discusses moods swings caused by the chemical imbalances we all suffer at different points in our life. The other songs on this release are just as poignant and true to life. "Kentish Town" is a dreamy ballad which focuses on Tracey's childhood memories. "Why Does The Wind?" is another upbeat track with a strong 80's feel to it and a catchy rhythm. "You Are A Lover" is another magical and subtle Folk influenced ballad. "Singles Bar" has an addictive Blues inspired melody and "Come On Home To Me" has very plaintive and dark vocal harmonies and arrangements. "Late In The Afternoon" is a melodic mid-tempo track with a very nice choice in rhythym and guitar chords. "Swimming" ends the album on an atmospheric note with dreamy vocals and arrangements.

"Love And Its Opposite" is a very well crafted third album with some very inspiring lyrics and interesting choices in musical arrangements. This album is her most subtle to date, but the softer nature of her music does not compromise on its quality and draws on her abilities as an experienced and talented songwriter to create another beautiful collection of songs.
on 6 January 2016
Tracey Thorn has long been a musical companion to me over the years, often when I needed some relaxed quality tunes, vastly underrated in my opinion as an artist. The collaborative track 'Protection' being one of my all time favourite tunes but I've not purchased an album from her in a while and was so glad this was under the Christmas tree. The vocals on this are so personal, truly one lady whose vocals have improved with age, a vocal delivery unlike any other album I've listened to. Simply delightful recording and, if like me, you have lived a bit you will love this view into her thoughts with some lovely writing about very mundane but profound every day events that effect us all delivered, perfectly.
on 5 April 2012
Tracey Thorn has been responsible for some of the most beautiful music in Pop.

Why this woman is not much better known and respected, amounts to a mystery and a tragic loss to many who have never heard of her.

Having amassed such an incredibly high standard and poignant body of work over the decades, surely Tracey must be approaching 'National Treasure' status.

That unique voice, those emotional lyrics, used together with an always deeply expressive melody.

Yes, Folks, real songs.

I have been listening to Tracey since I was a student back in 1983.

She has provided the soundtrack of my life through her solo work and with Everything But The Girl.

For those of you reading this who have never heard her, I envy you. Buy it all. You are in for a real treat.
on 9 January 2013
Another classic album from Tracey Thorn capturing common life experiences at certain life stages as well as contemporary musical genres. Have given it as a gift to a number of friends, feeling the themes to have resonance...
on 25 February 2011
I have followed Tracey forever and thought everything she touched turned to gold, I was desperate to hear this album as soon as it was mentioned in the pipeline. When I eventually did I thought oh no. I just didn't "get it". I left it and walked away for a few months then went back. Now I understand it. A complete new direction from some older stuff but that's what happens, people grow up and change. I guess I expected more of the usual but that's not a reason to dislike something just because it's different. Good one Tracey!
on 19 December 2010
There are few singers in pop with such a beautiful voice. This is a pared down album, and the simplicity and melodies are spine-tingling. Shut out the world, and envelop yourself with this record.