5.0 out of 5 stars A Haunting Album
I have been a fan of Tracey's wonderful voice since a band I played in shared a bill with Marine Girls (her first band, I think she was still at school then!)many,many years ago.

This album is sparse and haunting in tone, allowing her wonderful voice to shine through, rather like the earlier EBTG (I was never a fan of the 90's electro-dance stuff)albums, but...
Published on 17 May 2010 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the old sound.
Nice,pleasant,very competant but the voice has changed and isn't as attractive as it was when "Deserts" was produced. The whole c.d is like,watered down, and if possible Tracey should return to her old "voice"
Published on 23 Sept. 2010 by Bamba

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 9 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Love And Its Opposite (Audio CD)
On time as advertisied...you can't ask for more than that!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 19 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Love And Its Opposite (Audio CD)
Great cd delivered quickly.

3.0 out of 5 stars Love and Its Opposite..bit depressing!, 20 Jun. 2010
G. Glover - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love And Its Opposite (Audio CD)
I have loved EBTG since Eden, and didnt like the electro period they went through at all,althoughI love Tracey Thorns voice. I have listened to the CD about three times now, its very intense indeed..and a little bit depressing in places! the words are quite deep and I am wondering if poor old Tracey had a few probs!! Anyway its perfectly produced and her voice sounds beautiful. I think it goes back to the original EBTG but in a mor mature style if that makes sense!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 7 Sept. 2014
Great album

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 14 Dec. 2014
Very Good.

2.0 out of 5 stars Miss Havisham's Dirge, 16 May 2010
This review is from: Love And Its Opposite (Audio CD)
The song Overture (not on this album) done with the Hungarian singer (band?) The Unbending Trees was rather excellent. Tracey covers another of their songs 'You are a Lover' on this album - one of the better tracks. Tracey is gifted with a beautiful voice (and I wish she would show it off at some concerts - or do Meltdown), but most of the songs on this album don't sparkle.

Lyrically and musically the songs on 'Love and its Opposite' are not very inspired. 'Oh! the Divorces' is a snappy title (like a Tom Lehrer song)- and I expected something of dashing wit and some sorrow, but it's pretty embarrassing: 'He was a charmer / I wish him bad karma'. You can tell me it's a deliberately bad rhyme, an ironic couplet, if you like, but it's still awful. The piano refrain is mildly catchy, in a theatrical way, but, really, what kind of music is this? Hangover music?

Kentish Town - another dirge. Tracey always looks back. Nostalgia is alright, well it used to be, but songs like this give it a bad name.

The Long White Dress - God, that's dreary. Whiny. Some other reviewer mentioned 'Blue'. Believe me, no one with ears would ever compare these songs to those.

Imagine Miss Havisham doing a dirge. That's about the sum of it.

3.0 out of 5 stars What a Shame, 17 May 2010
This review is from: Love And Its Opposite (Audio CD)
I have been a Tracey Thorn and EBTG ever since hearing her on the Style Council's "Cafe Bleu" LP, great! Saw her play during the "Eden" tour in Cheltenham. Loved "Eden", got really excited by a copy of "Night and Day" I found in a record store in Soho in '83ish.
Things just got better, loved the "Idlewild" tour, saw it at the Albert Hall! What a mindblast! Some great stuff followed, particularly "Walking Wounded". Then, out of the blue, "Out of the Woods", a joy. It was like we'd all grown up together and this was our soundtrack.
So, you get the picture, I was very excited about this new album. Sadly, I find it disappointing.
Let's start with the sleeve, I don't believe that I've seen a more depressing cd cover. The only question is why? Well, I guess it's to support the first track "Oh the Divorces". I really can't imagine sitting with some friends and enjoying this with a glass of wine - it's uncomfortable listening.
The album continues in this style, and aside from some highs, there are some obvious lows too (Hormones). Besides I never really got over the beginning. In some ways it reminds me of John Lennon's "Plastic Ono Band". But that isn't necessarily a good thing. As one friend said "It's a bit like going through John's dustbin". Too personal and too self indulgent.
I give this album 3 because it is Tracey and her voice makes anything sound beautiful. Also because she is a gifted writer who can beautifully craft a song, even the awful ones on this album. However, I'm not sure I want to hear it again.

I don't like criticizing art, but if you are out there reading this review, this is just the opinion of one long time fan.

Come on Tracey. It's a lovely day and the sun is shining!

4.0 out of 5 stars Just as expected, 18 Jun. 2010
Ian Hale (Nottingham UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love And Its Opposite (Audio CD)
If, like me, you enjoy jazzy Everything But The Girl then you are going to like this album. Tracey Thorn's smooth and wonderful voice has always appealed to me. I find it difficult to imagine that she coud sing anything that I would not enjoy listening to.

It is a very good record of its type but I doubt that it is really a classic. The songs aren't Cole Porter or Irving Berlin at their best - but what songs are?

This is probably not an album for the very youthful however. The songs reflect coming into middle age - divorce for example - which is not that romantic a topic.

All in all if you buy this CD I am sure you will not be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Still a bit foghorn, 14 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Love And Its Opposite (Audio CD)
Been a fan since the marine girls, I imagine Thorn and I are the same age. Always been a bit wary of her voice which she can too often 'blast' with. Makes the drinks cabinet rattle.

Lyrically still good despite the fact The Guardian likes her, nearly always a sign of second rate talent, for once they are right even if they like her for all the wrong reasons - box ticking as usual.

Sounds like Ben Watt has been kept off the mixing desk, which is good, he was always the least talented of the pair but seemed to dominate her musically with his 'arrangements' which killed her poetry. As for his singing, well least said the better.

1.0 out of 5 stars glue in packaging causes damage, 26 April 2013
This review is from: Love And Its Opposite (Audio CD)
There is a glued in rubber piece to hold the CD in place in the CD cover. The glue melted and got onto the CD itself. Even with multiple cleanings the glue won't come off and I will not put it into my expensive CD player to ruin that. So the CD is basically useless to me.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Love And Its Opposite
Love And Its Opposite by Tracey Thorn (Audio CD - 2010)