on 23 July 2012
I wanted a rack that would hold just one bike. All the racks I found were for two or more and I dont need one that holds more than one bike. Also I wanted a rack that was which to fit to the back of the car. This works on both accounts.

I was concerned whether this would work on my Kia Picanto (08 model) as I couldnt find anything that said it would fit onto it. I risked it anyway as, looking at the various pictures, it looked like it should work ok. The rack fits just great. So long as the straps are adjusted and tightened properly there is no problem at all.

I was also surprised to see how well it worked. Once on the car I did wonder if the rack would take the weight of my bike. After a practice drive round and a few slight adjustments to strap positions on the car I found the rack to be very sturdy. If the straps arent tightened the rack does move a bit but that, I would imagine, could be said for all bike racks that are held on with straps.

All in all pleased with this. And it has the bonus of fitting into the boot of my car too (anyone who has seen the size of the boot on the Picanto will appreciate that the boot is actually quite small so may understand why its difficult to find things that actually do fit in there!)
on 22 September 2013
Brand new to cycling so can't really compare it with other bike racks but my experience of it is as follows;

Pros:
Really, really quickly and easily fitted to the car. Four straps with smooth metal hooks that fit to the top and bottom of the rear door (I drive a Suzuki Swift 2010 model hatchback). Big rubber feet mean it easily fits the back door of most vehicles without risking the paint work and is easily removed upon arrival.

Cons:
The anti-roll strap at the base could be better as even tightened fully it still allows the bike some movement.

The bike is held quite close to the car and with that movement it could potentially rub pedals against the paintwork; I supplement by padding the pedal with bubble-wrap or similar, but this means you must remember bubble wrap and tape whenever you travel.

There is no place on the rack that allows the steering on the bike to be fixed to hold the front wheel still. I've tried several ways and struggled. Because of where the bike then sits this means the bottom of the front wheel is free to swing around. To be fair; it doesn't much and hasn't caused a problem for me as yet after several 20 minute journeys, but on a longer drive I'd be concerned by it much more.

Overall: I'd definitely recommend it. For the money it's excellent. I bought mine as mountain biking is a new hobby and I wanted something cheap, cheerful and easy to use. I got slightly more than I bargained for with this rack, but it's not without some concerns. That being said, I'm impressed enough that my next rack is likely to be the Saris Bones which obviously is made by the same company, so they've obviously done a reasonably good job with this one!
on 17 April 2012
Although the bike rack is easy to use and does exactly what it is meant to, the only criticism is that the metal hooks do not have any soft linings on them. As a result the metal hooks hook over the metal door.
on 18 September 2012
Easy to use and just what I needed. I have a Kia hatchback and it fits well. I glued pieces of felt inside the hooks to avoid paint damange.

Delivery was very fast too.
on 9 August 2012
This product is easy to attached to the car and is light weight making it easy for the weaker person. If I had a bad point to say about this product it would be that I cannot tighten the straps as much as I would like and the carrier moves slightly up at oneside but I think it is more of me not getting the balance correct with my bike. I have only used it a few times and can now master a technique where I put cables round the bottom staps and the bike to make the bike more secure and solid.

Its a good carrier for the price.
on 21 September 2012
I have to say, I didn't expect the bike rack to be so light. I surprised by its weight, and at the same time a bit scared that would break on the first ride. But the rack is strong (maybe that's why they chose the name 'Bones'?), very small and light; you can even carry on a backpack if you wish. The straps were easy to adjust and the remaining straps that 'hang' after tightening the rack to the car can be used to stop the wheels of the bike moving, giving a little extra security to transport the bike. I highly recommend!
on 14 August 2014
Very well made. Only used it a couple of times to be honest but it held firm and didn't give me any reason to worry. It has a strap that holds your front wheel to stop it flapping around and mess up your car but I'd advise that you use an elastic bungee just for the extra protection.
on 15 April 2015
I bought this bike rack from another retailer, it looked robust on the picture and so thought it would be a good buy. Receive the consignment on Monday, very surprised to see that it was plastic!, fitted the bike rack to my car on Tuesday, collected my bike Tuesday Evening, and that is where the ease of the entire process ended. Placed my bike on the rack, and it really did not seem sturdy AT ALL. Gave the rack the benefit of my reservations, hasten to say I didn't go that far down the road when I had to stop because the rack started to buckle! Fortunately a car park was nearby, took the rack off the car, and placed my bike in my boot (after 20 mins of faffing around).
I wouldn't even give this bike rack a star, but needs A star in order for the review to be published, would definitely NOT recommend to those who will use it for an adult bike, probably best for a children's bike at best.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 April 2016
Doesn't work for me. Listed as fitting my car but either have to have lower feet on the numberplate or, fit it so far forward and upright that the bike is touching the boot. Also, the strap that is meant to go round the downtube doesn't reach if you are using it for a smaller framed bike or BMX etc.
on 14 November 2014
Im surprised this hasn't come up before but if you have cables running underneath the top bar, like on a lot of hard tail bikes, the cables fowl on the clips ensuring a lack of security. Not to mention that over time is will scratch the buggery out of the frame. I also think its made pretty terribly. I will be sending mine back for a refund and looking for something a bit better built and designed.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse