5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book from the Kimball Group, 17 Mar. 2010
Andrea Vincenzi (Arezzo, Italy) - See all my reviews
This book is based on articles that had already appeared, in print or on the web, but it's much more than a collection. Even if I already had 90% of these articles in electronic form, having them all put together in a book, revised and organized by topic, is a great advantage.

In my personal opinion, this book creates an even greater gap between the two main Data Warehouse approaches. I'm not going to mention the other approach since everyone who knows about BI also knows what I'm talking about, but this is an infinitely useful collection of practical tips that is completely lacking in the other approach.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another 'must have', 27 July 2012
Robin Everson "Robin Everson" (Redditch, England) - See all my reviews
I've had this book for more than a year now, I'm reviewing the paperback version, and yes I bought it myself.
I've reviewed several other Kimball books and in my opinion, this is another 'must have'.

Although it's essentially a compilation of articles written by Dr. Kimball, Margy Ross, Joy Mundy, Bob Becker and Warren Thornthwaite, it's so much more than just that.
The emphasis is well placed on the customer view, understanding and getting the business rules right, and to use technology for business objectives.
The articles range from late 1990's to today, they've been updated and expanded where needed, so now align with current best practices promoted by the Kimball Group
It can be read cover-to-cover, but if you're like me, you'll jump into sections, then search through for articles as needed, then read whole chapters

I personally prefer the index in the paper edition, it's been said this allows ready access to the book's contents that a text search doesn't provide.