5.0 out of 5 stars Really useful
I was unsure about this as it seemed so cheap, but I have been really pleased with it. Have used it for SD, XD and compact flash cards with a Mac and all worked immediately. Only negative comment is that compact flash needs care when loading, but have used several times without problem. Unit itself is compact, strong and light. Am really pleased with this.
Published on 13 May 2010 by Archibald F

3.0 out of 5 stars Useless for CF cards
Published on 9 Nov. 2010 by SP

5.0 out of 5 stars Really useful, 13 May 2010
This review is from: eSecure High Speed USB Card Reader for Digital Memory Cards - Wide Compatibility (Personal Computers)

3.0 out of 5 stars Useless for CF cards, 9 Nov. 2010
Looks good and has a sturdy casing so asthetically very good. However I needed a card reader for a Compact Flash card for my SLR. Having read the reviews I thought this would be ok and the price was good also. However it became very apparent that the slot for the CF card is very poorly designed and the pins inside are very brittle and as a consequence broke very quickly. I have had several card readers in the past and never had this problem.
I rang up the company and they kindly sent me another one free of charge, however the same thing happened and when I rang up and said I was having a problem the guy instantly said "is it to do with the CF slot", so obviously a known problem.

To sum up good for anything, other than CF cards.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Buy, 15 May 2010
C. Mckenna (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Love the wee card reader works grate with my mac , i use it with a large capacity CF card and it works grate . The casing did fall off however this may of been to be own fault , as it was being carried around in a large camera case in beside lenses the bashed it about it a bit . i taped it together and it works fine grate peace of kit. !

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little gadget, 18 Aug. 2010
A great little gadget that plugged in and worked first time. I am a Linux user and was a bit sceptical about this working on my laptop. I needn't have worried. It works well on XP also and reads my old Sony Memory Sticks as well as the standard SD card. The unit is compact and has a rubberised texture which gives it a feeling of robustness. So far, so good!

5.0 out of 5 stars Esecure - USB Card Reader., 26 Mar. 2010
S. NG - See all my reviews
Another purchase from esecure.
Thought i'd leave a review this time round to express my delight.
Fantastic item. Well packaged, Good quality as always.
Nice and small to carry around.
Works well with both my PC and my MAC.
Have already recommended to my friends.
Well done guys, keep up the good work!

4.0 out of 5 stars Super cheap, good quality and nicely finished., 1 Jun. 2011
I have edited this review thanks to 'Hoof Hearted"'s comment - Hoof, you were absolutely right, with a bit of extra force the mini USB connector clicks home satisfyingly well. I stand corrected and feel a bit of a fool. However, it does mean that I also feel very pleased with this purchase now. Thank you! My only (rather weak) defence is to say I've only used it twice.

I originally said my initial impression of the product was good and I'll leave it there. I've very pleased with it. Apologies to the seller for my original rating. I would now recommend this product without reservation and have upgraded my rating accordingly.

For completeness I've included my original review below.

----

My initial impression of the product was good, it has a nice matt lightly rubberised finish making it feel (deceptively) solid and of higher quality than you'd expect for the price. However the mini-usb socket on the side with which you connect it to a computer is dreadful. It feels as if it's been made too shallow, so the connector sort of sits in it loosely instead of engaging fully. A small knock would disconnect it.

That said, it's so inexpensive as long as I'm not going to start using it on the move or more heavily (it was only intended for occasionally transferring pictures from an old camera's compact flash card) it'll probably serve its purpose. I do wonder though if with repeated use the socket will worsen to the point of being too lose to maintain a consistent connection. Somewhat surprisingly memory cards fit very reassuringly into the compact flash socket. I have not had cause to try the other sockets so can't comment on them.

I would be hesitant to recommend this to others as that mini usb connector is on the edge of being so loose as to be unreliable, so even a small variation in product quality from one item to the next might mean some of these really are unusable. Given the price I'd say product quality and consistency checking is probably not high on the manufacturers agenda. To be fair, equally I suppose another might have a better fitting socket. Buyer beware. Maybe spend a few extra pounds in the hope of some quality assurance.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic service ? BUT, 29 Jun. 2011
Mr. R. L. Sparkes "Ron Sparkes" (Bradford, West Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
I loved the card reader got it plugged it in read my sd card loved it, gave them top marks, then I borrowed a flash card off my son to get some photo's of a wedding he'd been too. The card was difficult to get in, and when I'd finally got it in it wouldn't work, then nothing else would so really I paid them for reading one sd card, not worth returng it the package and posting would cost similar to the price of the thing, no fraid it's a binner. Even though I initially gave this item a good review I have changed my opinion of it.
My advice is leave well alone I've gone and bought one from the high street now and it's reading all my cards great including my son's flash card. Sorry, but I give this product a thumbs down and look at my buying record this is a first for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars All memory card reader., 14 May 2010
G. F. Cork (Farington Moss, Leyland, Lancashire.) - See all my reviews
Makes all my other card readers obsolete. Lovely quality build, plug and play as removable drive. Recently got a small camera with a micro SD memory card. As all my other card readers, built up over time as different cards were introduced, did not accommodate a micro SD card I looked through the Amazon list and I consider myself very lucky in choosing a card reader from eSecure that turned out to be as good as this one. Well done eSecure for only stocking the best, as usual. Thanks.

Ged.

1.0 out of 5 stars DOES NOT WORK, 10 Feb. 2013
This card reader has to be held in a certain way with the wire half in half out with the card at a certain angle, i know that its not the card that is broken as it works on every other reader/slot and it is the same with other cards used with this reader. Also, the same reader in white on Amazon is cheaper?

after leaving this review above, the seller sent me a new card reader, THIS ALSO DOESN'T WORK. suppose you get what you pay for. not happy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor service, 13 Dec. 2011
I ordered this several weeks ago, and while it arrived on time, it does not work at all. I have tried it on various computers, from Apple laptops to desktop Alienware computers, but none of them recognise the device. I emailed the sender immediately requesting a replacement, but they never responded. Terrible.