Format: MP3 Download|Change

on 1 December 2006
I am a binman and I love it. Not one for big words like most Lloydy fans but this album makes me feel as good as when the UK finally converted to wheelie bins and I didn't have to do no more heavy lifting. Brightens my day - well done!!!
on 10 July 2007
Songs for maturing to ? Quite possibly ! LLoyd Cole has recorded another superb album. He does capture the essence of growing older,gaining family responsibility & looking back at the "folly" of youth, remarkably well.
Lloyd is a very intelligent & articulate songwriter & this album is chock a block full of classic Cole.
His music seems to move on, change & progress as he gets older & this latest album continues to reflect this - if you love Lloyd, you'll love this - it's cracking. God only knows why he remains so under rated, it's almost criminal !
on 4 October 2006
It's been a while since Lloyd Cole released a solo CD and you can tell that all his solo acoustic tours have an impact on this disk. On the first listen there are a lot of similarities to "Music in a Foreign Language"

Track 11 "Rolodex Incident" is by far the most instantly appealing on the first listen - very haunting sound to it.

Personally I think "Dont get wierd on me babe" is still his best solo CD!
on 25 October 2006
Presumably an album titled anti-depressant should leave you feeling bouyant and joyous. But like the effects of real anti-depressants this just leaves you feeling a little better than before you started.

It's not that it's bad album, it's a perfectly fine lloyd cole album. It's just that it lacks any real spark, any tunes or lyrics that really drag you in or prick up your ears. I doesn't have the full 'car stereo friendly' production of "The negatives" or the craft and honesty of previous album 'music in a foreign language'. What's more the production (or maybe the cd mastering - Im not an audio specialist) is muddy.

Of'course if your a lloyd cole fan you'll buy it and enjoy it, it just isn't something you'll hold to your heart like some of his previous albums. But then again, maybe it's like prozac and takes 4-6 weeks before it starts to take effect.
VINE VOICEon 4 November 2006
A welcome new release from LC and worth the wait. It isn't as good as I would have hoped, but it isn't as "treading water" as it could have been either .

Having said that, it is well worth the money, and I would have given it 4 stars, if it was by another lesser artist, or if I thought he didn't have the capacity to make some more "belters", which I am sure he can.

Melodic, amusing, witty, dry and very listenable, but could do even better.
on 22 October 2006
As a fan of over 20 years of the consistently superb Lloyd Cole, this is another fine release. Although perhaps not quite as good as his previous Music in a Foreign Language, this new offering follows in similar vein to that album and will surely satisfy fans.

Stand out tracks are the opening number The Young Idealists and the very catchy How Wrong Can You Be? Unlike other reviewers I actually feel Rolodex Incident is the least memorable track on the album, without much of a tune (normally always a great strength of LC's to match his outstanding lyrics), although maybe it will grow on me.
on 2 December 2006
I'm glad I waited a while before submitting a review as this album is a grower. I wasn't too keen on Lloyds last album, but for me this is a real return to form. Whereas the last album seemed a little bleak and cold, this is warmer and more melodious. The epic sounding 'NYC Sunshine' is a stand out track, as is the quieter and strangely evocative 'Travelling Light' which sounds instantly familiar. 'Antidepressant' is a return to Lloyds early New York days and 'Woman In A Bar' is the type of wordy and complex track for which Lloyd is probably best known and admired. The arrangments are superb and several of the tracks benefit from the input of Neil Clark (ex Commotion), whose guitar playing really is something else. This album combines all of the things I like so much about Lloyds work and I think it's his best for over a decade.
on 7 January 2007
Having been disappointed by some of Lloyd Cole's work during the 90's, his last two albums represent a return to form with better song-writing and a much more satisfying sound. Anti-depressant may well be his best work yet. The gloomy title masks some impeccable composition while the execution is more convincing than Music in a Foreign Language. There aren't really any weak songs on this album but the ones that stand out for me are Woman in a Bar and Rolodex Incident. The latter has a richly textured sound and arrangement that is simply exquisite and well worth the price of entry on its own.
on 27 April 2008
The new Lloyd Cole album, Anti-Depressant, is a joy. Not a word is wasted and the knowing wit and sharp intellect that wooed me as a young chap remain twenty-odd years on. The rhyming of `Scarlett Johansson' and `driven to distraction' is worth the admission price alone but there are lyrical gems galore. Right now, my favourite is, "I said `I'm working on my novel' / She said `Neither am I'" - very Lloyd Cole. The tunes are marvellous too and complement the world-weary thoughts of Chairman Cole with a pleasing subtlety. Of course, I had the chance to name my son Lloyd Cole but bottled it. It might have worked.
on 4 October 2006
Yet another fresh collection of mature Lloyd Cole songs - as beautiful as "Music in a Foreign Language" but more optimistic than its predecessor. Typically, the more you listen the more you love it - a quality only true great singer songwriters pocess unlike the bland youngsters on the radio.
This trully is a collection of standout tracks from the whimsical "Nyc Sunshine" to the brilliance of "Rolodex Incident", they are all a treat and Cole's lyrics are as clever and insightful as ever, hilariously so at times. And as with all his cd's, I know I will be listening to this one in 3 years time enjoying it even more than today.