5.0 out of 5 stars More time in the sun
I bought the first album `Volume One' and still regard it as one of my most cherished records of the past few years. She & Him where a band who I stumbled on by pure chance. I had missed the early hype surrounding the duo, most of which was conjured up by Zooey Deschanel's Hollywood star status.

On first listen you cannot help but be uplifted by an assembly of...
Published on 26 Mar 2010 by Frank Stapleton

2.0 out of 5 stars 2nd album, 2nd rate
Album 2 from she & him, not as catchy, not as natural sounding and a bit 50's. It is a good album if you do not compare to the first effort (3.5 out of 5). This one is nice in the background. Worth getting if you liked the first, just don't expect to be blown away by any of the tracks. She has a very soothing voice, and He plays a nice guitar, but sounds more like a forth...
Published on 16 Jun 2010 by Bigfish Reviews

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars More time in the sun, 26 Mar 2010
This review is from: Volume Two (Audio CD)

On first listen you cannot help but be uplifted by an assembly of angelic, soulful pop music, which has its roots firmly in 1960s America. It doffs its cap to the Californian and Nashville sounds that have preserved that decade as perhaps the most fertile period in popular music.

Volume Two suggests the pair have matured, and become more tight-knit as artists. This is not a vanity project, but a collection of beautiful pop songs spread across two volumes. It's pleasant, but not saccharine. Sure it has immense crossover potential, but this is credible song writing with meticulous craft.

I was lucky enough to acquire an early copy of Volume Two. Fans of the first record will be encouraged to hear that all of the strongest facets remain, but added is a sense of a real longevity and progression, without moving away from their trademark sound. M Ward's sun-tinged guitar hooks as well as his precise string arrangements compliment Zooey's alluring vocals throughout. It's powerful stuff, addictive and has you longing for more.

Nods to the past are evident as the duo produce a refined version of the Skeeter Davis classic "Gonna Get Along Without You Now". This is one of many highlights on a truly magnificent collection of retro American pop. You will be hard pushed to find a more satisfying listening experience this year!

5.0 out of 5 stars Summer soundtrack, 22 Mar 2010
This review is from: Volume Two (Audio CD)
I became a fan of She & Him after stumbling across them on lots of blogs a couple of years ago. I was initially sceptical of them, with the Hollywood connection, but a fan of M. Ward, checked out Volume One and it became my soundtrack to the summer 2008. A beautiful album of simple lyrics, but with blissful pop melodies and a charming voice by Deschanel.
I was so excited to hear about the return album as I had imagined this would have been a one-off collaboration, and rushed to buy tickets at their first UK show Koko, but it had sold out within days. I moved too slow. Anyhow, I have attempted to content myself with listening to the new album streamed on a US site recently, and it definitly hasn't disappointed. The second album is exactly all a fan could hope for, more cheerful summery pop tunes, with a sprinkling of unrequited love flung into the mix. The lyrics again are penned with charming simplicity, but the music once again works with this in complete harmony.
The duo seem to compliment each other just perfectly, and I for one can wait to get my hands on the new album. I would recommend all to get a little She & Him sunshine into their life.
A beautiful album to soundtrack the summer of 2010 perfectly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quirky, Fun , Melodic, Easy Listening, 22 Sep 2010
D. Schembri "EXLIBRIS" (Los Angeles, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Volume Two (Audio CD)
A great little album, perfect for a summer soundtrack as someone mentioned in another review. Some good hooks, some nice sounds. Nothing too epic or mind blowing but then that's not was this is about. A nice album to have on around the house, cooking or lounging about. If you're a fan of Zooey's movies you will like it too. Her voice and vibe really come through on the songs. Nice melodies and guitar hooks. Love the 50's influence as it's not over done or too try hard. Simple, bright, fun, sweet album with songs that will be stuck in your head.

5.0 out of 5 stars magical, 14 Sep 2013
This review is from: Volume Two (Audio CD)
The singing is beautiful and touches your heart, I love the sound of her voice and the melodies are catchy.

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT, 10 May 2013
This review is from: Volume Two (Audio CD)
Good condition case and CD.
This is definitely not a case of the first album being the only good one, and they definitely haven't lost what makes them so lovely and fresh.
Fantastic duet, lovely music. My favourites.

5.0 out of 5 stars ace, 28 Mar 2013
This review is from: Volume Two (Audio CD)
ace ye ye ye ye ye ye ye ye ye ye ye ye ye ya ya yes love it great

5.0 out of 5 stars I love She and Him, 6 Sep 2012
This review is from: Volume Two (Audio CD)
If you like Russian Red or Indie music, that's your group. It's one of my favorites groups, and I really like all their songs, and all their albums. I can't stop listen their music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this album, 25 Jun 2012
This review is from: Volume Two (Audio CD)
I watch new girl and I only recently realised that zooey deschanel sang in a band. I listened to this album and i fell in love with it. I love all the songs, they sound like the 90's kinda music which is a change from recent pop. I am so happy i purchased this, im currently waiting on volume one in the mail aswell

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful refreshing retro sound!, 30 Jan 2012
This review is from: Volume Two (MP3 Download)
Zooey Deschanel is one celebrity who deserves the hype. A talented singer and songwriter this album is such a pleasure to listen to. Makes me feel nostalgic for my mother's 50s/60s slow rock music collection. Deschanel has a gorgeous, rich tone to her voice - like liquid chocolate for the ears. Stand-out tracks for me are "Gonna get along without you now" and "Brand new shoes" but to be honest the whole album feels like a labour of love. No fillers here!

5.0 out of 5 stars love it, 27 Jan 2012
This review is from: Volume Two (Audio CD)
I adore this album its beautiful and folksie with a 60's feel, and I love zooey deschanels voice, amazing, a serious must by!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›