5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous masterpiece
Published on 26 Jan 2010 by VISA/Dankort

3.0 out of 5 stars Disapporting
First three tracks into the cd, Fire in the Moon, Nomads and Emerald and Ash, I thought excellent, here comes a great cd. But, it lost something after the third track, totally switched me off.
The bonus disc, again tracks one and three, Blood on the Rooftops and Firth of Fifth, excellent, the other three mediocre.
It's a shame, I really wanted to like this cd,...
Published on 13 Jun 2010 by Graham Richard Carter

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous masterpiece, 26 Jan 2010
This is so far the best album from Steve Hackett since the genesis years, I have followed his work since the first solo album and this has some of the freshness which were on those first albums, coverart could be better, but what the hell :o) This album has all the aspects of Steve Hackett's music, from soft romantic to scarry mystical passages into Prog Rock, BUY IT, you will not regret!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Emerging solo..., 14 July 2010
This review is from: Out Of The Tunnel's Mouth +Bonus CD (Audio CD)
In my opinion Mr H is the only member of the classic Genesis 5 piece line-up to emerge with both his integrity and artistic mojo well intact. Sonically he's the master of dynamism, "Fire on the Moon" being a classic example of a sly beginning betraying the big forces never far up his sleeve. The album's lyrics give us, whether we want it or not, an insight into his relationship with Kim Poor, and quite honestly I find that side of it all a bit doleful and perhaps a bit too personal. "Emerald and Ash" with its sonic insinuations as well as lyrical ones makes you feel you've lived some of their personal history a bit too vicariously. I can't be alone in wishing them both well, but I feel like the mutual friend stranded between loyalties in someone else's divorce and that always makes me feel awkward. All that aside, Steve remains an unsung hero, deserving of far greater success with an enviable work ethic for which he should be rewarded suitably. "Out of the Tunnel's Mouth" shows just how much he can still knock out new fusions and make musical connections with singular originality. Whether it's better or worse than previous releases is a bit of fatuous chin-stroking; Steve's always worth a punt of your shekels and this one is no different. Buy, play, enjoy, empathise and wish you too could play the guitar this well!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another work of brilliance, 8 Jan 2010
Here is another masterpiece from one of the most creative and imaginative musicians/composers on the planet. Like his previous albums Wild Orchids, To Watch the Storms, Darktown and others, this new one boldly goes where few are going: music and songs of real imagination, depth, power and passion. Melodies and lyrics hit straight to the heart and arrangements blow the mind. Not to mention the brilliant playing and performances. A real shame that he is so under appreciated because his albums, this included, beat the heck out of every light-weight album by Phil Collins and every post-Gabriel Genesis album. To anyone who seeks uncompromising music of adventure and integrity, this album and the music of this man is the real deal. Procure at once and you will not be disappointed!! Sheer genius....

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a grower, 12 Dec 2010
This review is from: Out Of The Tunnel's Mouth +Bonus CD (Audio CD)
Echoing some of the other reviews, when I first listened to this CD, I was unsure on several counts. Firstly, the absence of a credited drummer - I can only guess that the drums are computerised. Steve, why didn't you get Gary O'Toole to play drums on this? Secondly, although Chris Squire and Anthony Phillips are there, they for the most part are low in the mix, and therefore how they have been recordred and mixed does not do them justice. That aside, most of the songs grew on me, apart from one (more of later). There is the usual eclectic mix of musical styles any Hackett fan should come to expect, which I appreciate is not to everyone's taste.Favourites include Nomads, Sleepers, Ghost in the Glass, Emerald and Ash and Tube Head - all these songs are multilayered, and have different musical styles from flamenco, classical, minimalist, experimental to outright rock. Fire on the Moon is a big sounding song but not as good as soe have made it out to be (much better live though, as Hackett always is, in my honest opinion). Last Train to Istanbul sounds like 2 different songs have been cut and pasted together - it took a number of listens to get into this song, and it is a good album closer, but does not stand out to me. Still waters is the one song that could have been left off the album (and out of the live setlist, having seen Steve do this last and this year) - I like the blues, and I am not a purist by any means, but this does sound like a bad pub rock number, with vocals that do not fit the song. I'm sorry if this does sound harsh, but this is the one song I skip, and this could have been replaced by something much more imaginative from Steve, hence the 4 star review. My last gripe is that I bought this in 2009, on the Wolfwork label at one of Steve's gig's, and was a bit miffed to see this re-released with extra tracks a few months later cheaper! I do recomend this album to Hackett fans, but would not say this is a good place to start with his solo work - Spectral Mornings and Voyage of the Acolyte are the ones to start with I think. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hooked on second play., 4 Oct 2012
I have to say, I love this piece of music. Its now on my priority list of music at the moment. I listen a lot to the old Genesis albums and decided to give this one a go. I have not been dissapointed. From start to finish played on a good system its a gem. My Bose has not sounded so good for a while.
If you love wind and wuthering,trick of the tail etc then try this.
Also been backtracking to Steve Hillage Green, another nice piece of music.

5.0 out of 5 stars try to see him live. AWESOME!, 12 Mar 2011
mike "music lover" (brighton sussex uk) - See all my reviews
Steve is one of the most underrated musicians in this country, he was incredible in Genesis, and I have to say even better now. The way he throws different styles in a pot, gives them a stir, and creates musical masterpieces, is pure genius, I like them all but sleepers just shades it for me, so if you like well arranged music from a guy who knows how to play and get the best and most from a guitar, buy this and everything else he has ever done. oh! and see him live!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite A Decent Album From Mr Hackett!!, 26 Dec 2010
K. Buxton - See all my reviews
I agree! Greatly missed when he left Genesis! Always was and always will be a class guitarist, but his albums from his first to his present are at times hard to get into, very experimental at times sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't, most I like some I don't! Just wish he'd have employed a good solid vocalist though.
Anyway back to this album, after a few listens I got into this and it's very strong early on `Fire on the Moon' and `Emerald & Ash' are my favourite tracks, then fizzles out a bit over the last couple of tracks, not as strong an album as Spectral Mornings, Defector, Highly Strung or Cured, but still worth buying, as its far superior than some of the rubbish music that's being released upon us at the moment? Keep it up Mr Hackett!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars hackett stunning, 17 Nov 2010
This review is from: Out Of The Tunnel's Mouth +Bonus CD (Audio CD)
In short, a stunning piece of work from Mr Hackett that confirms every fan's reason for having continuing faith in this musician . He excels again. The first track is a tour de force - turn it up real loud! I love all of it. The appearance of Anthony Philips on the album is heart warming and the latter's 12 string work is just wonderful. How someone can present so much different music style with such class is just amazing. Mr Hackett never fails to deliver.

5.0 out of 5 stars One and only spectraly coloured guitar sound, 29 Sep 2010
This review is from: Out Of The Tunnel's Mouth +Bonus CD (Audio CD)
Undoubtedly most talented member from Genesis~1977.
Always bring us melodic subtle tunes.
Just lika a Japanese Haiku, his tunes are unobtrusive.
It always remainds me George Harrison's sensitive guitar works.
Please keep your music world, I'm happy to follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Hackett's work, 31 July 2010
This review is from: Out Of The Tunnel's Mouth +Bonus CD (Audio CD)
It's an excellent album, one of the best Hackett's work. I find it balanced, yet fertile and shows the maturity of this great guitarist. Strongly recommend its purchase.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Out Of The Tunnel's Mouth +Bonus CD
Out Of The Tunnel's Mouth +Bonus CD by Steve Hackett (Audio CD - 2010)