5.0 out of 5 stars All my love
The best thing you can say about any movie's soundtrack is that it can stand on its own, and that no matter what you think of the movie, the soundtrack is chock full of amazing music.

Published on 3 Jun 2010 by E. A Solinas

3.0 out of 5 stars Book to film and lots of CGI
I love the twilight saga books and am a huge fan of Stephenie Meyer, BUT......

I must admit, that out of the four books this isn't my most favourite.

It's a battle all round, for the Cullen's, the new born army, the voltori and Bella, Jacob and Edwards relationship.
Book 3, the film is a good adaptation and continues the story of Bella, Edward...
Published 18 months ago by Reader

5.0 out of 5 stars All my love, 3 Jun 2010
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Twilight Saga: Eclipse - Original Soundtrack (Audio CD)

And the soundtrack to "The Twilight Saga: Eclipse" is one of those. Whether you love or hate the teen-vampire-infatuation series, it's undeniable that the soundtrack has some excellent (if less indie than the last one) bands -- expansive rock'n'roll and lush echoing pop, some of it well-known (Muse, Vampire Weekend) and some relative obscure (Florence and the Machine).

"Tear me down, they can't/take you out of my thoughts/under every star/there's a battle I've lost..." It opens with Metric's "Eclipse (All Yours)," a beautifully layered pop melody filled with shimmering rough riffs; after that it segues into the painfully passionate "Neutron Star Collision (Love Is Forever)" by Muse -- a lament that explodes into a supernova of dark racing riffs and wailing vocals.

There's a pretty good rock'n'roll showing after that, with the Bravery's fast-moving angsty "Ours," the Black Keys' raw bluesy "Chop and Change," the Dead Weather's slow-burning bleak "Rolling on a Burning Tire," and the mildly funky folk of Cee Lo Green's "What Part of Forever." The best: UNKLE's collaboration with the Black Angels is a brilliantly eerie, murky rocker, while Vampire Weekend slips effortlessly into the expansive, glittering "Jonathan Low."

Then there's the pop songs, which are even more remarkable -- Florence and the Machine's exquisitely spooky "Heavy in my Arms," Fanfario's sprightly "Atlas," Sia's haunting strings-and-piano ballad "My Love," Band of Horses' starlight-filled "Life on Earth," and Howard Shore's bittersweet piano melody "Jacob's Theme." But the best of the bunch is Beck's collaboration with Bat For Lashes -- a sensuous, elusive duet of piano and blips.

This soundtrack is pretty different from the two that precede it. It's not as deliciously indie as the "New Moon" one, but it's not crammed with emo popmetal either. In fact, there are only a few songs on this album that don't thrill me to the core, and only one I dislike -- namely, Eastern Conference Champions' blandly monotonous "A Million Miles an Hour."

And the bands included set a wonderful double mood -- some of the songs reflect bittersweet romanticism (Metric, Sia), but there's also a feeling of dark raw menace in others (The Dead Weather). There's a lot of slow sad piano, veils of electronica, bouncy acoustics and some deeply brilliant guitar riffs -- they can shimmer like starlight on the water, or erupt into a fast-moving, expansive band of sound.

And both the singers and lyrics stretch across a wide range. They can be dark and distorted, quirky, sweet, filled with pain and sorrow ("Love is forever... we'll die together"), and sometimes understatedly powerful ("Who is the betrayer?/Who is the killer in the crowd?/The one who creeps in corridors/and doesn't make a sound!").

You don't have to be a fan of the Twilight franchise to appreciate the music in "The Twilight Saga: Eclipse" soundtrack -- some is creepy, some is lovely, and most of it is brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars All my love, 4 Jun 2010
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Finally, there are a pair of bonus tracks -- the ominously perky "The Line" by the Battles, and the vaguely hallucinatory Bombay Bicycle Club's "How Can You Swallow So Much Sleep?".

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the best of the three soundtracks, 27 Jun 2010
I have enjoyed the previous two soundtracks but I think this one may be my favourite. It has a definitely rocky feel to it and the best mix so far of already established bands and little-known artists. I think they also got the balance right on the mix of tempos, plenty of upbeat songs with a faster pace, but also some softer more balladic songs, and some really darkly moody ones too. You can see how they will reflect the romace/action/dark drama of the film. Like all Twilight soundrack tracks, they have amazing lyrics, each song telling a distinct little story of its own and often it's easy to pick out which part of the film/book they got their inspiration from. I enjoy the fact that they all seem to have been very carefully selected to suit a moment in the plot, rather than just "Oh I like this song, let's stick it on the soundtrack."

So the tracks...
Standouts for me in order of preference:
** The Black Keys (Chop and Change)- great lyrics, heavy beat, guitars. A masterpiece and my favourite track.
** Florence and the Machine (Heavy in Your arms)- what else to say, it's Florence and the Machine, but she has surpassed herself. It's dark, dramatic and a little bit addictive. My second favourite on the album.
** The Bravery (Ours)- feels very current. Could probably be released today and do really well in the UK charts.
** Cee Lo Green (What part of Forever)- it starts and you think, really, what's this rubbish with the whistling, but then great lyrics, really catchy tune, can't stop listening to it.
** Metric (Eclipse All Yours)- deceptively gentle vocals, love it.
** Muse (Neutron Star Collision- love Muse but this one took me longer to appreciate than any of their other work. After several listens, you can't help being sucked into the melodramatic romance of it.

The other tracks are all good too, none that I hate. I find Band of Horses track, Life on Earth, a little dreary, couldn't listen to it too often and Vampire Weekend's Johnathan Low seems out of place. I don't know their music at all really but I like this song. It just seems strange to have a song with story-telling lyrics about an Irish clan boy's life on this soundtrack. Perhaps it's meant to parallel the Wolf Pack and their roots.

I love this soundtrack and the new artists it has introduced me to. I expect I will love it more when I have seen the film and the songs' placement. I would recommend it to anyone who has liked the previous soundtracks. This one is a step above those.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not just a good Florence track, 24 Sep 2010
T. Christie (Inverness) - See all my reviews
Well, being a huge Florence & the machine fan I fell in love with the track "heavy in your arms" which was only available on the soundtrack. I thought it might be one of those albums that I end up transferring the one track I love onto my laptop and the cd would just linger in the cupboard. Actually, it's pretty good. There's quite a lot of good music on there. I'm not an mp3 or ipod girl but the cd has found it's way into the car which is where I enjoy listening to music most of all. Definately worth a listen and I don't regret the purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Out of All three, 8 Aug 2010
Samantha Jayne (Stourbrigde, WM, UK) - See all my reviews
One thing can be said for the Twilight Saga albums and that is they are always good. Even if the films are not the best films ever made the albums and the music is always steller.

The Twilight Saga:Eclipse is the latest album and it is fabulous. It's full of brilliant tracks from some of the best artists around at the moment. Like always the album includes a Muse track, Neutron Star Collision (Love Is Forever) is a great track and it's nice to see Muse still contributing to the albums. Other artisits like Florence and the Machine, Sia, The Black Keys, Bombay Bicycle Club and Metric all contribute to the album and they really do make it the best album out of all three.

New Moon was a good album but several of the tracks were lacking and Twilight's soundtrack was very comercial whereas this album goes back to the rocky nature that should soundtrack the film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just keeps getting better!!!, 7 July 2010
I absolutely love this!! I got it about a week before I saw the movie at a preview on Sunday and instantly loved it. The album flows nicely and I really appreciate the fact that the artists involved wrote the songs especially for the movie. Stand out tracks for me are Heavy In Your Arms - Florence + The Machine, Chop And Change - The Black Keys, Let's Get Lost - Beck and Bat For Lashes, With You In My Head (feat The Black Angels) - UNKLE and A Million Miles An Hour - Eastern Conference Champions. Once you see the film, they fit even nicer. Can't imagine these songs featuring on the bands own albums as they feel so good together on this and flow so well. Even if I didn't like the movie I'd still love this album and recommend it to anyone into any of the bands. You'll really appreciate all the album. Really hoping bat for lashes and beck work together again soon as their styles really work together. This album is a lot more up and down in emotion just like the film in the same way as the last film was more downbeat in emotion like the mirroring soundtrack. Well done artists and Twilight people. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Turn the Music Up!!!!!, 9 Jun 2010
This sound track is 100% different from the other two but fab in it's own way. My advice to really enjoy this sound track is to turn it up to the maximum volume and feel the strong beats of the music. The other two I can not help but sing to but this one I love to dance to.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Twilight Saga: Eclipse Soundtrack, 30 April 2011
S. Wilson (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
I am just catching up on my reviews and noticed that I haven't yet given this one! Even six month after buying this it is still on my favourite CD pile in the kitchen for when I'm cooking. They always make really brilliant soundtracks to go with the films and this one was yet another brilliant one. If you haven't bought it yet or you think that soundtracks are rubbish they I would definitely recommend buying not only this one but the others too. I love that fact that they find unknown artists as well as the big names and by doing so introduce you to a whole new set of music. Definitely worth buying!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful music!, 20 Feb 2011
The music really goes with the tone of the film and all the artists have wonderful voices. My favourite has to be Florence and the Machine's 'Heavy in Your Arms', really captures Bella's feelings down to detail. Cee-Lo, Metric, Battles, Bombay Bicycle Club; EVERY ARTIST provides fantastic music perfect for the tone and storyline of the film.

This Deluxe Edition comes with two extra tracks (How Do You Swallow So Much Sleep by the Bombay Bicycle Club and The Lines by Battles) which are very good. It also comes with a poster of the beautiful Kristen as Bella. Unlike the orignal version, it is in a cardboard case that folds out.

Recommend to Twilight fans and people who can appreciate decent music!

5.0 out of 5 stars Twilight Soundtracks are always great, 28 Dec 2010
I always find that Twilight soundtrack never disappoint. It's a great way of learning about bands from the USA that I didn't know about. A good mix of both ballads, catchy tunes and instrumentals. Well done!

The Twilight Saga: Eclipse - Original Soundtrack
The Twilight Saga: Eclipse - Original Soundtrack by Howard Shore (Audio CD - 2010)