on 10 April 2010
I have followed the Late Night Tales series over the last 10 years and was waiting in anticipation for this latest release, compiled by the magnificent Cinematic Orchestra. Finally the wait is over and I have to say that this is an absolute masterpiece and one of the strongest in the series.

From intimate torch songs to swinging jazz, via lush strings and orchestration to the intricacies of modern electronica, the Cinematic's take us on a journey through the music that has inspired them, whilst dipping a cap to some of their contemporary peers. By doing so, they have also managed to reflect their unique sound that is hard to pin-point, but also present in the work of these varied artists: a wonderful balance between laid-back and sweeping but with a subtle underlying brooding tension. The result is an epic and varied journey through some of the finest music by some of the greatest artists of all time.

From the opening track, Flying Lotus' `Auntie's Harp' recalls the opening harp strings of `All That You Give' from their `Every Day' LP, while Thom Yorke's `Black Swan' would have sat comfortably nestled within their `Ma Fleur' album. Elsewhere, Sebastien Tellier's well known masterpiece `La Ritournelle' and Bjork's Homogenic-era `Joga', showcase some of the finest music under the wide umbrella of `chillout': all loping beats and heart-tugging strings that make you feel like you're soaring above the clouds! More obscure noodles from the likes of Burial and Imogen Heap also make a welcome appearance.
The golden oldies come from the much-loved Nick Drake (my favourite track from Five Leaves Left, `Three Hours'), to some wonderful undiscovered gems from Burt Bacharach, Shuggie Otis and of course, Terry Callier, with the highlight for me on this collection, `You're Goin' Miss Your Candyman'.
Also, special brownie points if you can spot the sample behind The Orb's `Little Fluffy Clouds' nestled in here as well.
If all this wasn't enough, the last track is a unique cover version by the Cinematic's themselves of Fontella Bass' `Talking About Freedom'. Fontella has been a guest vocalist on several Cinematic Orchestra tracks, so this is a fitting tribute to the classic singer.

The very careful and clever sequencing and blending together of these tracks wraps up this astounding collection into a complete listening experience.
Listen with your mind and heart open and I promise that you will love and cherish this timeless CD for a long time to come.
on 4 January 2013
This I think is the one compilation that all LNT compilers have to beat... any compiler who manages to put Sebastian Tellier's epic 'La Ritournelle',Burial's dingy 'Dog Shelter' and Thom Yorke's harping 'Black Swan' on a mix and make it work and feel blended and consistent is worth a listen. The few LNT that come close I think are Trentmollers and Airs contribution, but as a whole the LateNighTales series is by far the best series around, excellent for exposing you to new music that where else would you hear.

Get this one and then get the rest!
on 18 May 2012
Although it's taken a few listens to get into the flow of this collection, I find myself now playing it to death. Despite there being a few songs that I could do without, I tend to skip through these, but on the whole it's a really good listen.

I've never been a Radiohead/Thom Yorke or a Bjork fan, but I love both their songs and Terry Callier's "You're Going To Miss Your Candyman" is a monsterous groove where you are bound to discover your "thang", whatever that may be.

Ommissions aside it's well worth a listen or adding to your collection!
on 17 August 2010
I am enjoying this compilation/mix, I love the Cinematic Orchestra and so it's nice to hear some of their influences etc alongside their work...however, I am left a bit disappointed...The mix itself works very well but it would have been nice to have more of DJ Food ' Living Beats' which, at 16 secs, is little more than a link. Same goes for tCO own 'Restaurant' track, but my biggest disappointment is 'South American Getaway', which works well as it is but I was expecting it to get to the 'up beat' section of the song (not unreasonable as that is the section in the clip on this very page!), had they managed that it would have been genius in my opinion.
on 2 September 2010
Up there with the best of the Late Night Tales, a return to form if ever there was one. Such a well crafted mix, some really beautiful stuff on here and some real funky things too. I have about 10 of the late night series and would put this in my top 3 now. The first Groove Armada Late Night mix would be number 1, but thats an exceptional mix and hard to beat. Some real care has gone into this one. The final track where cinematic orchestra do their cover version is really stunning too.
on 11 October 2012
I absolutely love The Cinematic Orchestra and Sebastien Tellier so fancied this cd.

The tracks are not overly mixed but blend together nicely.

Really no idea why the last track was included, I'll need to remember and skip it's rather adult content whenever there are minors in the vicinity. I had to mark the collaboration down for this, the track is not music, it's an audiobook clip of sexual nature and IMO doesn't belong on this disc.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 May 2010
Amazing frankly. superb music superbly programmed. Will self at the end is a great touch.
on 20 November 2014
Love this album so much. Beautifuly put together
on 1 September 2013
Fantastic and imaginative selection of tracks from diverse artists who, if unknown to you, will encourage you to find out more about them. Highly recommended.
on 20 October 2015
This Late Night Tales is the perfect example of what this compilation series is about. All of the tracks flow beautifully. My favourite out of all of them so far.