5.0 out of 5 stars An Important Book for Runners at All Levels
Published on 27 Mar 2010 by Angie B

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for advanced runners
The material in this book is not for advanced runners. It works on a number of premises that have recently been confined to history. For example, the book rarely delves into running form.

Published 23 months ago by CoastalRunner

5.0 out of 5 stars An Important Book for Runners at All Levels, 27 Mar 2010
When I started running in my 50th year nearly 8 years ago, I quickly realised that it was an all body sport and spent a lot of time researching what I needed to do in order to remain as injury free as possible. This book would have saved me a lot of time and effort. So many people told me my knees would suffer, so I found exercises for the muscles that support my knees and to date have not had any trouble. All it takes is a little effort and this book provides exercises that can be done whilst watching the TV that will help in this area and for most other muscle groups involved in running. It also gives really comprehensive illustrations and explanations to enable the runner to understand the running specific element of each exercise. I believe it provides information relevant to runners at all levels and will help to prevent most of the common running injuries just by following some of the easier exercises included in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A hidden gem for those with a passion for running, 17 Sep 2010
M. Angeli "Mike" (Kenley, England) - See all my reviews
I'm surprised that very few reviews have appeared about this excellent book from the equally impressive Sports Anatomy series. I myself was recommended this book by my physio whilst having extensive treatment on a hip/lower back injury which prevented me from running for over 2 months.

Running Anatomy, as the title suggests, is aimed specifically at runners who wish to gain an understanding and appreciation of the physiological aspects of running. The first few pages are dedicated to introducing the reader to the history and evolution of running - a fascinating subject in its own right but one which requires its own literary analysis. But the main bulk of this book contains a wealth of information, detailed illustrations and expert advice on upper and lower body exercises which - crucially - are specifically related to the movement, strength and flexibility required to be a more efficient and effective runner.

There is a small section on common running injuries (the exercises that make up most of the book are therefore designed to prevent injuries occurring in the first place), so for this I would recommend 'Running Repairs: A Runner's Guide to Keeping Injury Free'. Also, only a few pages are dedicated various training methods and preparation for races. Again, for this I would recommend another book - the superb 'Competitive Runner's Handbook' by Bob Glover.

However, in combination with other books on running 'Running Anatomy' has enabled me to introduce a number of exercises to build up strength in areas of my body where there was imbalance. Through a better understanding of the human body and how it functions when running the book has helped me to become a fitter, stronger and less injury prone runner. I believe that anyone with a passion for running would benefit from owning this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book - Detailed & Informative, 21 Jun 2011
This is a must have for any runner of any ability. It explains in detail what weight lifting exercises are best for runners and how to do them correctly. It also explains how many running injuries are a result of weak muscle imbalances. The ilustrations are excellent and show what muscles are used in the exercises.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great and informative, 16 May 2014
K. G. A. Alavi (London, England) - See all my reviews
This is a great book about the anatomy of not just running, but the type of running if you are a sprinter, and mid distance runner, distance runner or a recreational runner. The book a brief history of running. How running for sport then recreation came about as opposed to running for survival.

The great thing about this book it stress the importance of strengthening the whole body to improve as a runner. The talk about the Girth Cycle which is to do with running strides, but also the number of arm swings you would go through in a long distance race so it is importance to strengthen arms so they are not fatigued during a run so it does not diminish your running performance. The detailed pictures for which exercise strengthens which muscles are great and invaluable for any sport.

The other strength of this book is the information given on injury prevention. The BANE of every runner or athlete. The authors go out of their way to say they are only subjections on how to try and prevent injuries before they happen. If an injury occurs they recommend anyone injured seek medical help, as every case is different.

The only reason I did had to take a star away, was because of the last 2 sections I was expecting some running programs, if did give a couple of exercises when put together create a full body conditioning program, but I would have like some examples of programs for different running levels. I would have preferred this to the history of the running shoe. Also we are told of the differences of the foot type to bear this in mind when buying new running shoes. I have never had someone take me on a treadmill to try and fit my proper running shoe, or taken a plastic case of my foot to create a specific shoe for me. I don't think anyone by the most elite of runners would go through this.

All in all a great book, too bad about the last couple of chapters I think they are more reserved for the professionals not us mere mortals.

5.0 out of 5 stars running anatomy, 7 Jun 2014
My daughter has read this, said its ok, I checked it briefly and its ok. so go there you go, it's ok.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 13 May 2013
will come in usefull no doubt as im an avid runner and will hopefully improve my performance as i am contemplating my first marathon

4.0 out of 5 stars Running book with a difference., 24 Nov 2010
Mr. T. Jones (North Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
After suffering a number of injuries over recent months and numerous visits to the physio I purchased this book to try to understand my injuries more, hopefully reduce their occurence and become a better runner.
Although Runners World and the internet provide a myriad of information this was a simple to follow guide of running kinetics, what can cause certain movements, injuries and steps to prevent them.
There are also strengthening exercises and suggested training initiatives to improve your running.
I didn't give it 5 stars as some of the material is dated and there are more up to date exercises and theory that you can find but for an all in one, simple to follow guide, this was great. Highly recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for advanced runners, 7 Oct 2012
This review is from: Running Anatomy (Kindle Edition)

The book doesn't provide answers to injuries such as piriformis and other common complaints. I'd also say the book is slightly over priced. Much of the information in this book can be gleened from an internet search.

Running Anatomy