4.0 out of 5 stars Worked out of the box - TV not needed
It maybe because Samsung now ships the BD-C6500 Blu-Ray Player with the right firmware, but this was a very easy piece of kit to set up, contrary to the experience of some reviewers here. That is, it was easy after I had abandoned attempts to get it to work on old computer monitors. As soon as I plugged it into an HDMI enabled monitor away it went.

That's the...
Published on 2 July 2011 by Michael Kenward

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Good player, but the wireless set up could drive you insane
Update: 7/11/12. fails to boot up, have to turn on off 3 or 4 time to get it to work.

Very Good player, but the wireless set up could drive you insane -
Setting up the wifi to connect to my router was the WORST experience of my wifi life.
I could set up wired connection with no problems but the wifi! I could only get it to work with no security set or...
Published on 1 Dec. 2010 by M. Ashman

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Blu Ray player but that's about it, 20 Nov. 2011
M. L. Donaghy "M. Donaghy" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung BD-C6500 Blu-Ray Player - Built-in WiFi (Electronics)
This thing is a great blu ray player, but sucks for lovefilm and MKV playback. Lovefilm app often fails to work showing debug menus etc and movies are displayed zoomed in at an incorrect aspect ratio. The MKV playback is terrible, you can't fast forward, cannot resume and it cannot play an MKV with embedded subs.

I wouldn't normally have a problem with any of these issues, but I just bought a sony bds185 for 50 quid and it does doesn't have any of these problems, Samsung should be ashamed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great system ......pity about windows 7, 18 Feb. 2011
M. J. Connolly (Liverpool UK) - See all my reviews
This is a very good and efficient blu-ray player. the incorporation of analogue 7.1 sound is nice as I have been looking to replace my original BP-1500 with an internet ready version due to my current sound system. the menu is easy to use and the network set up was simple. the only fly in the ointment is that it is currently incompatible with windows 7 so you can't access certain features. Come on samsung fix this and this is why only 4 stars

4.0 out of 5 stars Blue ray dvd player, 27 Jan. 2011
A lot of money for what it is, The internet side of it is a bit of a con, just means you can play a few games on the internet or you can get freeview/BSBSKY etc over the internet, Nice slim unit though, Plays DvD`s and all kinds of discs that i put in it ok. Usb port on the side comes in handy to. not a lot else you can say for it really its a blue ray disc player..

2.0 out of 5 stars Would have been good if it worked., 20 Feb. 2012
Plugged it in & spent ages setting up the wifi options. Eventually, got all that sorted and all seemed well until I tried to play a disc, but it refused to play any disc of any kind. Sent back & got a refund. Shame, it seemed ok, if a bit laggy.

1.0 out of 5 stars I must have been sent a dud, 4 Nov. 2010
I bought this player, having read the other reviews on this page.

At first, it looked great, it connected to my wifi router without a problem, it updated it's own software without a hitch too and also installed a bunch of naff games I didn't want - easily removed.

Blu-ray playback was great although a little blocky on my Blade Runner disc for some reason.

The bad:
Start up seemed pretty slow and the screen seems to blank between different operations.
There's an awful clunking noise when you first insert a disc and when browsing disk menu's.
Streeming playback from my PC froze between 5 and 10 mins of each video I tried. Also tried streaming from my laptop, which did exactly the same.
The video player seemed to get stuck in a loop if I tried to play a video it couldn't decode from streaming, disc or USB. I could quit the video player, but upon starting the video player again, it would try and play the same file again without a prompt. Only way around this was to reboot the machine.
The apps you can install are all a wee bit naff. Youtube does have a search option, as one review here suggested it didn't, you just have to scroll down to it. The thing I found weird about the apps were that they all run in low blocky resolution. I expected super sharp graphics within the apps for a Blu Ray player. Google maps was a let down due to this. Some of the apps seemed to crash and throw you out to the main menu.

Maybe I was unlucky and was sent a dud player. I ran out of patience and returned it and got a Sony BDP-S570B instead. Much better operation. Seems to play everything and stream everything fine. Making multi-region was a bit weird due to having to buy a magic remote (£5 ebay).

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Player, 9 Dec. 2010
Simon Skinner (Penge, London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bought a Blueray player when they first came out, the only downside to it was the amount of CD's it used to update.I bought this because it has wi-fi.
It connects to my internet and downloads and updates as and when updates become available.
It is also slim and looks good. The blue light given off when the unit is in use is unobtrusive.
I would recommend buying this if you have no desire to waste time updating the software.

5.0 out of 5 stars sound, 19 Sept. 2013
Great piece of kit, so gooding, sleek and contemporary, works well, user friendly, wacking picture, in all a jolly good bargain. Well happy!!.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good, but only at the basics., 12 Jan. 2011
If it hadn't made itself seem more than it is, I'd be very happy with this player. As the listed features seem more impressive, their functionality gets more disappointing, so in descending order:

The basics work well, Blu-Rays & DVD's are no problem and it plays 90% of files I've tried from the USB. It's accepted a range of different drives too - my biggest (1.5tb) only takes about 10s to be recognized. Browsing drives doesn't look all that good and it's little clunky but once you find what you want, you can forget that.

Wifi signal leaves something to be desired. I have to drag the thing to the middle of the room to get half a signal. Although it is 2 rooms away from the router, nothing else has had any problem from the same position (I tried laptops, iphones and a wii). This means the DLNA streaming suffers, although even when i ran an ethernet to the player, it still occasionally threw me back to the menu.

Last and of course LEAST is the internet@TV. It's dire. After seeing iPlayer stream flawlessly (and in HD) through a samsung TV at a friends house, I went out and bought this blu ray player expecting the same. I did some research (although I wish I'd read the reviews) and the samsung site led meto believe it to be identical. Only later did i notice "Lovefilm & iPlayer coming soon Blu Ray" in the smallprint. Samsung need to look up the meaning of "soon" because soon is long over.

I'll probably never be a lot more careful buying samsung in future, they look good, the hardware is good but I've seen better software in a microwave.

2.0 out of 5 stars Samsung BD-C6500, 6 Dec. 2011
Unfortunately the player arrived without a remote control so could not even try it out,so i had to send it back

3.0 out of 5 stars Unlike claimed there is no AVCHD playback, 4 July 2011
C. Silva "Adamastor" (Milton Keynes, UK) - See all my reviews
"Samsung's Blu-ray players can handle more than just Blu-ray discs. They will all play standard DVDs, even upscaling them to near full HD quality. Samsung Blu-ray players also allow you to plug in a wide range of digital devices via USB, so whether it's in MP3, DivX, Divx HD, JPEG, JPEG HD, MKV, or AVCHD file formats, you're able to enjoy your favourite files from the comfort of your sofa. "

No joy playing AVCHD. It does not recognise .mts files.