Me'shell NdegeOcello is probably one of my favorite artists as she is so diverse and is influenced by many different styles of music, from soul to hip-hop to jazz. However, her eighth album "Devil's Halo" is probably my least favorite.

Published on 13 Mar 2011 by Amillionmiles

3.0 out of 5 stars Expected more
This is a CD I won't play very often. It's a good CD, but not brilliant. I was expecting something more vibrant. Maybe it has to grow. Let's add it to my iPhone playlist for a while and see if I like it more.
Published on 4 Jan 2011 by Ben D

4.0 out of 5 stars A slightly disappointed fan, but it is still classic Me'shell, 13 Mar 2011
Amillionmiles (Hove, East Sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Devil's Halo (Audio CD)

Although most of the songs are of good quality, they tend to be very short and feel very unfinished, with only 2 songs over 4 minutes long. "Slaughter" is a great opener, but is an example of a song being way too short. Other examples of this are "Tie One On", which is a slightly monotonous dreamy ballad and "Hair Of The Dog", which has lovely string arrangements. They are very disappointing to me as they can barely be counted as songs and I feel robbed of their full potential.

However, there are a number of really great tracks on this release. "Lola" is probably the best track here, having an infectious rythym and a great instrumental ending to it. "Mass Transit" is another highlight with a funky beat and catchy guitars and bass. "Love You Down" has a more soulful vibe to it and Me'shell takes her time to craft a very seductive slow jam. "Die Young" has an experimental feel to it, but is very effective and quite dark. "Crying In Your Beer" is an acoustic guitar ballad which is something I have never heard Me'shell do, but it works.

I will rate this album 4 stars, but it really deserves 3.5 as it is shorter than 40 minutes long and has some mediocre songs such as "Bright Shiny Morning" and "Blood On The Curb". Nevertheless, it is worth the purchase as it is still creative and entertaining, just like all her previous work.

3.0 out of 5 stars Expected more, 4 Jan 2011
This review is from: Devil's Halo (Audio CD)

Devil's Halo
Devil's Halo by Meshell Ndegeocello (Audio CD - 2010)