on 6 June 2000
Being a great Stephen King fan, I was delighted to find the first Dark Tower book at reduced price. Upon reading it however, I was to find it was not one of his best works. The book boasts some intriguing characters, and fantastical situations, but the fargmented nature of the volume really shines through, It seems to be a book made up of short stories, which of course it is. Of course, it is customarily well written, I especially loved a part of the book where the main character, Roland (The Gunslinger of the title) challenges an opponent to a duel with a particuarly unsusual weapon.
Though definately a good read, I believe this is not one of King's best.
on 30 June 2014
bought as a present he loved it.
on 19 February 2011
I really enjoyed this book vary much. It is not as heavy going as many of Mr King's books and really had me wanting to "read just one more chapter before I put it down."

I won't say what they book is about as it has been stated so many times in the reviews, but suffice to say the storyline had me gripped.

However, I actually felt more drawn to one of the secondary characters: Jake, an 11-year-old boy that the main character of the book befriends. This kid lived a happy life somewhere in (I believe) modern day USA, but was killed (murdered) by a car. But then he awakes in this wild west setting of Mr King's, his memories of his former life more of a dream that he couldn't quite remember. There were so many things that happened to him in the story that frightened him and had me feeling vary sorry for him. I was vary saddened by what happened to him in the end.

Anyway, if you are a Stephen King fan, have not read this book of his yet, and want something a little easier going than his normal (excellent) work, then this is the one for you.

One note on the Kindle edition: perfect! No proplems with it whatsoever. Enjoy.
on 22 April 2016
An interesting novel from a young Stephen King. Will leave you with more questions that answers but that is OK as it is the first in the series. As a stand alone read, it may be frustrating but a must if you are willing to start the journey through the Dark Tower series.
on 14 September 2015
Superb, intense and addictive.
on 5 April 2015
Cant wait to read the next one
on 7 April 2014
I think Stephen King is a brilliant writer - his stories hook me from the "off".
The Dark Tower is no exception, but I did feel that in some parts, and certainly towards the latter part of the book, he does get a bit carried away with his concept (and it IS a brilliant idea to bring so many of the plots and characters from his other books into this series, and make them part of the overall story), and things get a little bit contrived and over the top in some areas.
One thing.
WHY does he always manage to give a cruel death for an animal (usually a dog, but this time Oy), in pretty much every book he writes. I hate it when he describes a kind and lovely dog (for example) allows us to bond with it through his clever writing, then kills it off in a horrible way.
I KNEW Oy would die, and was dreading the moment from the start of the book.
Why do you do this Stephen King????
on 9 June 2016
perfect quality, like new
on 13 August 2014
Finding a particular version of a book is difficult, but one would think that, with electronic publishing, many of the issues associated with different issues (i.e. presence or absence of certain materials) would be resolved. I certainly thought this would be true of the Dark Tower novels, long associated with some excellent illustrations which, for one reason or another, have not been included within many of the published editions. Erroneously I believed that they would be included here, partially due to checking an FAQ on what turned out to be an overseas edition that stated that the Kindle version did, indeed, contain the illustrations.

I'll make a warning here that the UK Kindle edition does NOT contain the illustrations, and I find this deeply dissatisfying.
on 1 February 2009
Having read the other reviews on the book, I was left wondering whether I was the only person to have enjoyed the first book in the Dark Tower series more than the second. For all that it does occasionally suffer from a convoluted writing style, it is a thoroughly enjoyable book, with a definite Western feel to it. There are many things to be admired throughout the book, such as the brisk pacing and the aloof-yet-accessible, instantly-unforgettable gunslinger of the title: Roland of Gilead.

The jumps in the novel's time-scheme are probably a problem that hamstrings a good fantasy from becoming a great one in this volume, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it, and recently re-read it a third time.