5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect introduction to a great talent
I will try to be brief, but it won't be easy.
This was McEwan's first foray into print after attending the now famous Creative Writing course at UEA under the tutelage of Malcolm Bradbury.
This was an outstanding first collection for any writer and created plenty of waves when it first appeared in 1975. I personally remember the compulsion I felt and the sheer...
Published on 9 May 2003

2.0 out of 5 stars Short Grubby Stories
I am not generally a prudish person. I might not like the odd swear word in a book if it jars or seems out of character, but I don't believe reading should always be comfortable and in fact some literature needs to be confronting to address certain issues. Odd then that, a favourite author of mine too, Ian McEwan's debut collection of short stories `First Love, Last...
Published on 28 Mar. 2012 by Simon Savidge Reads

3.0 out of 5 stars Just about kept me reading, 22 Feb. 2013
This review is from: First Love, Last Rites (Kindle Edition)
Stories and writing a bit underdeveloped. I have read almost all IanMcwan's books and this is probably the least enjoyable. Although chronologically first ( I think) this book is probably not a good place to start for anyone new to his work as this may put you off and cause you to miss some of his later excellent work.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dark Yet Wonderful, 9 Nov. 2012
This review is from: First Love, Last Rites (Kindle Edition)
Ian McEwan is an absolute master of word craft and after reading his latest book - Sweet Tooth - I thought I would delve a little into his earlier works. There are some deep and dark stories in this collection, but I found myself galloping along unable to hold back from the collection of words that so cleverly pulled you along through the stories. You can see that McEwan is a master of short stories and we were given a glimpse of them in Sweet Tooth. The story that gives the book its title is an absolute cracker but not necessarily the best. My favourite was the story about the mysterious Mr M. and his whereabouts and wonderful way in which this leads to a satisfactory disappearance of a moaning and violent wife. Read the stories and I am sure that you can not fail to enjoy the beautiful descriptive stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Challenging, 9 Mar. 2012
McEwan writes in a style that reserves judgement on the characters in his stories, even as they tend often towards amorality. The collection of short stories are unlike any I've read before. If you have read and enjoyed 'The Cement Garden' also by McEwan, then these fresh writings will offer thought provoking perspectives in a contemporary Gothic kind of way, dealing with subjects of discomfort.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ian Macabre, 5 Jun. 2009
This review is from: First Love, Last Rites (Paperback)
I am a huge Ian McEwan fan and one day in work I was speaking with a colleague about McEwan's novels when I was directed to "First Love, Last Rites" a piece I was familiar with but due to the subject matter something I'd always foud a rather daunting prospect. Nevertheless, I decided last Winter to finally get round to conquering Mount Macabre! And indeed, macabre is just one of many adjectives the book could have stamped across it.

McEwans ability to present and describe the most horrific things with such clarity and indeed, calmness really is something special on his part but it has to be said that the troublesome subject matter that appears in each story does somewhat overshadow some marvellous writing.

I am completely in agreement with McEwan's later admittance that the work was something of a "laboratory" where he could try out different things. This feel of experimentation and the different shades that he brings to each abhorrent tale is well worth considering when the reading the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Twisted twists, 12 Jan. 2014
This review is from: First Love, Last Rites (Kindle Edition)
Twisted twists and uncomfortable plots looking at the darker side of human behaviour. Each short story leaves the reader with a sour taste in their mouth - exactly what I think McEwan would want.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good and Interesting, 17 July 2014
This review is from: First Love, Last Rites (Paperback)
A good read but as it was recommended thats really why I bought it,but I will buy more of his as it turns out my daughter likes him too...........

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection, 8 Jan. 2013
This review is from: First Love, Last Rites (Kindle Edition)
As usual, McEwan cannot put a foot wrong. Scary and real, there is a little of these characters in each of us

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 10 Mar. 2015
This review is from: First Love, Last Rites (Paperback)
Old fashioned and very much adolescent, at least in my view. A shame as I've enjoyed his longer novels.

2.0 out of 5 stars McEwan honing his craft, 30 Sept. 2008
This review is from: First Love, Last Rites (Paperback)
A sort of cross between A Clockwork Orange and The Wasp Factory; this was probably considered daring and probably well received for that reason on its publication in 1975. Macabre, and interesting mainly to see how McEwan has developed. It would be unreasonable to call this writing bad, it's just that it does not live up to the very high standards he set for himself later in Enduring Love and Atonement. Last Day of Summer, Homemade and Butterflies are the best of the stories here.

4.0 out of 5 stars Prepared to be shocked, 25 Oct. 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: First Love, Last Rites (Paperback)
This is a book that will make your hair curl. The first story wades into the little talked about and taboo area of incest, and it doesn't get any more light hearted. However, the writing is so descriptve and lucid that it is a pleasure to read. If you're a prude though, leave it and read Enduring Love.

First Love, Last Rites