5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome back, 7 Dec 2009
Like walking into your favourite pub and seeing most of your best friends. The perfect blend of established favourites and new music (for me). The musicians, "old and new", are many of the finest on their different scenes, and the exchange between them adds a new dimension to every track. We share the fun they had making it. Congratulations to Pelicula and Whirlie. When is Transat 2 coming out? and 5 & 6?

5.0 out of 5 stars transatlantic, 23 Feb 2010
Na Danby (uk) - See all my reviews
I have been enjoying the BBC4 series and wanted a permanent memento. This album has provided it.

The standard of musicianship is very high and the participants' evident enthusiasm rings out, loud and clear.

I would have no hesitation in recommending this to anyone seeking beautiful and unpretentious music played at a very exacting level.

5.0 out of 5 stars West meets Celts, 11 Jan 2010
Graham Douglas (Swanage) - See all my reviews
Once again an amazing gathering of musicians reading like a proverbial "who's who".
Its an eclectic mix especially some of the Americans who are less from the folk tradition and one or two of the songs are "interesting" with pipes/fiddles et al in the backing when perhaps the original arrangements were more electric. None the less the performances are all great and provided you are not expecting a "traditional" scots or irish acoustic sound then its really enjoyable. I have not stopped listening to series 3 and I think series 4 is also going to be regular in the CD player.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZON'S CHRISTMAS MAGIC, 19 Dec 2009
China Geordie (Macau, via Hong Kong Macau) - See all my reviews
Thanks to the magic of Amazon's distribution system, my DVD arrived just before Christmas. It must be every exile's dream to have these guests around the `hearth' at this time of year. The in-house laddies: Jerry, Aly, Russ, Michael, Ronan, Phil, Donald, Danny, Todd, and James (when will he get his own `spot'?) are in fine form, while the lassies: Julie, Karen, Jenna (looking even more beautiful), Mairead, Allison, Emily, Martha, Rosanne, must be what the Guardian meant by "looks as good as it sounds". For me the standout tracks are the instrumentals: Allan and Ronan dueting on pipes (Allan on Northumbrian pipes?); Jerry on "unionhouse Branch'; Aly's medley in Programme 4, and Ronan's amazing `Black, Black, Black'. The spirit of John Martyn seems to be present in Liam O Maonlai, while Allison Moorer really captures the spirit of the exile's lament in `Carrickfergus'. My only criticism would be the lack of banjo - surely the ultimate Transatlantic cross-over instrument (would have sounded great with Russ Barenberg's `The Pleasant Beggar'), also Donal and Phil should sing more often (and play bouzouki together!). Hope my Transatlantic 5 arrives by next Christmas!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great CD fron the Transatlantic Sessions., 4 May 2010
What more could you ask for? Superb musicianship, excellent songs and detailed arrangements. The recording quality is top notch and the whole package is a great addition to anyone's music collection. Can't wait for Vol. Two to come out...

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 11 Dec 2009
Just can't stop watching and listening to those great musicians. Wish I had been among them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 19 Aug 2014
fast delivery and great CD

4.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps you have to see it as well..., 26 April 2011
Teemacs (Switzerland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
With two such prodigiously gifted musicians as Aly Bain and Jerry Douglas, this can't fail, I thought. Well, to my ears, it only partially fails. The aforementioned twosome play wonderfully well, as only to be expected, and there are some great vocal contributions (Dan Tyminski's "Man of constant sorrows" - as Alison Krauss famously remarked, Dan the man made George Clooney sound good). However, I found some of the vocal contributions from the ladies (and that of James Taylor) to be lacking. Subsequent listenings haven't improved things. Perhaps I simply don't get this folk music business, at least so far as the vocal side of it goes. Or perhaps I need to buy the DVD and absorb the atmosphere.

P.S. The answer to my title is, yes, I needed to see it as well. For me, the visual aspect adds enormously to the whole thing. Or perhaps I just needed to get used to the style. I tried the DVD of another TS series, loved it, bought yet another, loved it too, and ventured to buy this one on DVD - and guess what? I still really don't get James Taylor, I'm afraid, but much of the rest I really enjoyed. Moral of this story; it can take a while to get into, but it's worth persevering with it. So, a promotion from three- to four-star.

Transatlantic Sessions - Series 4: Volume One