4.0 out of 5 stars Mousetrapped
The author, Catherine Howard, was at a bit of a loss as to what to do with her life. She didn't feel old enough to settle down to a traditional job and relationship and she knew that there were still plenty of experiences and fun to be had before she had to grow up. With this in mind she applied to work for a year at Disney World, Orlando. Catherine was offered a job...
Published on 27 Oct 2011 by D. Jones

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent read with one main fault- She was not really in Disney World
I enjoyed this book- quite well written and moderately interesting, although really a diary account of a gap year.
Given the title, a lot of people will buy this thinking it is an insider's account of working in Disney World, it is not really.
This is because the author simply got a job at the Duck and Tuna hotel. Now this is technically on Disney World...
Published on 9 Sep 2011 by Holmsey from Yorkshire

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fresh take on life in Orlando., 3 Sep 2014
This review is from: Mousetrapped: A Year and A Bit in Orlando, Florida (Kindle Edition)
Back in 2006 I made my last trip to Orlando. Feeling a touch nostalgic (& a bit nosy) I decided to buy Catherine's book after a trip to Disneyland Paris ( where the cast do wander around at ground level when their shift ends). Firstly, I loved how she brought Orlando to life again for me, especially Kennedy Space Centre. Secondly, she is very funny & I found myself reading chunks outloud to my Husband (he said he enjoyed it too, but as we were trapped in the Channel Tunnel it's hard to tell ;-) ) & I finished the book in record time & downloaded the next. Anyway, this book is an enjoyable read for those who have visited Disney World & within it's pages there is a little bit of magic that makes me want to go back, however I think I like to stay in a private villa!

2.0 out of 5 stars Highlights the problem with self-publishing?, 25 Aug 2012
Philtrum (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I was tempted to read this as we'd just come back from a family holiday in Orlando and I thought it might provide some interesting insight into working for Disney.

There were some funny moments, and I did find some of the space/NASA stuff interesting but, on the whole, sorry to say, I found it rather disappointing.

The Irish author is a self-confessed academic failure and university drop-out (she lasted three weeks at a University in northern England). After seeing her life heading down the pan in Ireland, she gets a job in Holland for a year or two, then lands a job at a hotel in Walt Disney World. She's miserable for the first six months, as she never learned to drive, but then she borrows money from her parents back in Ireland and buys a car, which she (seemingly) drives around central Florida without passing a test (bizarrely) - though then admits in the epilogue to having caused two road traffic accidents.

She goes into a fair amount of detail regarding what she does from week to week, but what comes over most is her child-like infatuation with both all things Disney and all things NASA-related, and her inability to offer anything resembling intellectual insight into her experience. She comes over as something of a good-time gal who jumped into something without thinking it through properly, muddles through with the financial help of her parents, and then writes it up as a kind of diary.

As noted, I did smile in sections, but mainly when she was describing things I had done myself just a few weeks earlier: visiting certain branches of Starbucks and Barnes & Noble.

The author comes across as a perfectly nice person. I see she's published other works and I note the many four and five-star reviews so I may have to accept I'm out on a critical limb here. Suffice to say I am not tempted to read any of her other books.

3.0 out of 5 stars The decision is out!, 13 Sep 2011
When I saw the title of this book I was very keen to start reading it. It began very well but then tailed off and wasn't at all a good read which was very disappointing.
Like other reviewers I was expecting a bit more than this. It was more like a mini travel guide than a persons experiences working for a huge company. The only section I truly liked was the shuttle launch as I too have seen one but unfortunately mine was the one in 2003 that never returned!

5.0 out of 5 stars If you are interested in disney then this is the book for you, 6 Feb 2011
Purchased this book, thinking will I enjoy it and I have. Would recommend to anyone, the only problem is once you start reading you just can't put it down. I like books like this, I am now struggling to find another like this.

Well written and hope that she writes more books about her travels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 21 May 2014
Excellent read, as a huge Orlando fan I loved every minute of this book! Would definately recommend. Very fu. Y!

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable lightweight read, 2 May 2014
Really enjoyed this book, well written and funny. Having worked for an American employee can relate to some things in this book.would definitely recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars Unmissable read for all WDW/Orlando addicts!, 14 Jan 2014
Catherine Ryan Howard has written a humourous and delightful, behind the scenes travelogue that all Disney voyeurs must read! Whilst she undoubtedly fell under the spell of the Mouse, she retains and conveys a refreshingly cynical edge that reminds you the massive Disney corporation is first and foremost about extracting the maximum $$$$ spend from their besotted visitors. A great read - finished in one session! Go back, please, Catherine (never Cathy!) and do some more. G'wan, g,wan, g'wan!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read!, 25 Nov 2013
My family love visiting Disneyworld and have often asked the question 'I wonder if it's as good working here as we think it would be' - this book answers that question perfectly! And I'm happy to say, in the positive. A great read, entertaining and fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining read., 18 Nov 2013
I really enjoyed reading this account of one young Irish woman's 18 month stay in Orlando. Written with a wonderful sense of humour and an acute sense of self-awareness, which is put to use as a comedy device. I was glued to it. I particularly enjoyed Catherine's account of watching the launch of the space-shuttle - it actually made me weep! In the local swimming pool spectator area, where I was waiting for my kids - embarrassing.

5.0 out of 5 stars :), 8 Oct 2013
I love this book and all her books so much, I think the things she writes are hilarious. But that is because her humour is as quirky as mine.
Mousetrapped really brought me alive and I loved reading about the different places and experiences she had, I think there are plenty of books describing how horrible guests are in certain establishments and I felt that that is why this book is special - it didn't do anything predictable, the author just wrote about what she wanted to write about really and I found it fascinating!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›