on 23 September 2013
I was going to Orlando on holiday in September 2013 and decided to purchase this book and read it whilst there. Catherine I absolutely loved it from start to finish whether I read it out by the pool or in bed after a long day walking around a park. Loved your description of the hotel where you worked and its location within the Disney area you were spot on. I have been going to Florida for 19 years and there were things in this book even I didn't know about the area. Great detail about Celebration didn't know the 'background history' to the area but went for a visit and what a fantastic beautiful place for those lucky enough to call it home.

Catherine I am now a fan keep the books coming.
I read Backpacked, the story of Catherine's trip in Central America that she did after she left Orlando and really enjoyed it. I liked her style or writing and was keen to read more so I bought Mousetrapped. Although it was easy to read it was also fairly dull, and I spent a lot of time wondering if I'd got it totally wrong and that Mousetrapped was written by a different person to who wrote Backpacked, they just didn't seem like the same person and it seemed that somewhere along the lines the author had had a personality shift. There were also things that she'd alluded to in Backpacked about her time in Orlando that were never mentioned in Mousetrapped, like how she had gotten used to staying in posh hotels thanks to her staff discount, yet in Mousetrapped she mentioned a couple of trips but nothing about posh hotels.

I am also not very interested in NASA, and Catherine clearly is. Sure it was interesting reading about her attempts to watch an actual shuttle launch (which I'd really like to see too) but reading about her trip to the Kennedy Space Center made me start to loose the will to live.

The most interesting part was hearing about the town of Celebration, a purpose built town built by Disney and something that Catherine had always been interested in, and so was able to inform the reader about many facts of the town. I had never heard of it, but the idea was interesting and if I ever go to Orlando I'd really like to go and take a look myself.

So, this is an easy to read story of a not particularly interesting persons (sorry Catherine) account of their time working in Orlando. Unless you have a big Disney interest then I'd suggest that you go and read Backpacked instead.
on 1 November 2012
I loved this book - I wish I had had the gumption to do what Catherine has done in working abroad - I did manage a 3 month stay at a children's summer camp in the USA but that's hardly the same! Catherine is funny and her books a real page turner - I always wanted to find out what happened next - her humourous way of writing hits the note perfectly. Her infectious enthusiasm for anything 'space exploration' related made me make a point of watching a documentary about the USAs space programme.

I read the Kindle version, after my husband had read it, and I laughed out loud as much as he did.

Catherine, please get back on your travels and write more books :)
on 13 September 2011
When I saw the title of this book I was very keen to start reading it. It began very well but then tailed off and wasn't at all a good read which was very disappointing.
Like other reviewers I was expecting a bit more than this. It was more like a mini travel guide than a persons experiences working for a huge company. The only section I truly liked was the shuttle launch as I too have seen one but unfortunately mine was the one in 2003 that never returned!
on 22 March 2013
Really enjoyed this and have purchased other books by the same author.

If your interested in working in the US, it's well worth a read. In fact even if your not thinking of working in the US, buy it anyway!
on 4 March 2011
Sometimes you just buy a book for padding your Kindle prior to leaving for a holiday. This was one such book. However having dipped into the first chapter with the intention of getting the feel of the book I finished it some hours later non stop. Why? The author has the rare knack of placing you beside her as she plows though the Disney dream. Enjoy the book for what it is and you won't be disappointed.
Well worth the money for a fine vision of a young persons 'dream' experience.
on 14 January 2014
Catherine Ryan Howard has written a humourous and delightful, behind the scenes travelogue that all Disney voyeurs must read! Whilst she undoubtedly fell under the spell of the Mouse, she retains and conveys a refreshingly cynical edge that reminds you the massive Disney corporation is first and foremost about extracting the maximum $$$$ spend from their besotted visitors. A great read - finished in one session! Go back, please, Catherine (never Cathy!) and do some more. G'wan, g,wan, g'wan!!
on 26 February 2011
I have never felt the urge to go to Florida but I have now! This is a great read and makes it difficult to turn off the Kindle when you should be doing something else. I don`t mind that it was mainly `in the dream` ~ I enjoyed the enthusiastic tone. It has brought a bit of Florida sun to this dark,dreary and damp February week.Off to check the website for the videos. Oh and it was very reasonably priced!
on 5 January 2012
I bought this when I got my Kindle as I was looking for a light read, it looked like an interesting topic, and it was quite cheap. I wasn't expecting too much from it, but found myself gripped by Catherine's experiences in Florida. Having visited the US alot, and Florida once, a lot of things rang very true (e.g. people in some parts of the US being disbelieving, and worried about you, when you don't have a car).

For those expecting behind the scenes stories of Disney World itself, this book will not give you this, as she does not work in the park itself. However, it's a really compelling read, and a fun travel memoir. I'd recommend you read it anyway!
on 25 November 2013
My family love visiting Disneyworld and have often asked the question 'I wonder if it's as good working here as we think it would be' - this book answers that question perfectly! And I'm happy to say, in the positive. A great read, entertaining and fun.