4.0 out of 5 stars Mousetrapped
The author, Catherine Howard, was at a bit of a loss as to what to do with her life. She didn't feel old enough to settle down to a traditional job and relationship and she knew that there were still plenty of experiences and fun to be had before she had to grow up. With this in mind she applied to work for a year at Disney World, Orlando. Catherine was offered a job...
Published on 27 Oct. 2011 by D. Jones

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent read with one main fault- She was not really in Disney World
I enjoyed this book- quite well written and moderately interesting, although really a diary account of a gap year.
Given the title, a lot of people will buy this thinking it is an insider's account of working in Disney World, it is not really.
This is because the author simply got a job at the Duck and Tuna hotel. Now this is technically on Disney World...
Published on 9 Sept. 2011 by Holmsey from Yorkshire

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Highlights the problem with self-publishing?, 25 Aug. 2012
Philtrum (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I was tempted to read this as we'd just come back from a family holiday in Orlando and I thought it might provide some interesting insight into working for Disney.

There were some funny moments, and I did find some of the space/NASA stuff interesting but, on the whole, sorry to say, I found it rather disappointing.

The Irish author is a self-confessed academic failure and university drop-out (she lasted three weeks at a University in northern England). After seeing her life heading down the pan in Ireland, she gets a job in Holland for a year or two, then lands a job at a hotel in Walt Disney World. She's miserable for the first six months, as she never learned to drive, but then she borrows money from her parents back in Ireland and buys a car, which she (seemingly) drives around central Florida without passing a test (bizarrely) - though then admits in the epilogue to having caused two road traffic accidents.

She goes into a fair amount of detail regarding what she does from week to week, but what comes over most is her child-like infatuation with both all things Disney and all things NASA-related, and her inability to offer anything resembling intellectual insight into her experience. She comes over as something of a good-time gal who jumped into something without thinking it through properly, muddles through with the financial help of her parents, and then writes it up as a kind of diary.

As noted, I did smile in sections, but mainly when she was describing things I had done myself just a few weeks earlier: visiting certain branches of Starbucks and Barnes & Noble.

The author comes across as a perfectly nice person. I see she's published other works and I note the many four and five-star reviews so I may have to accept I'm out on a critical limb here. Suffice to say I am not tempted to read any of her other books.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fresh take on life in Orlando., 3 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Mousetrapped: A Year and A Bit in Orlando, Florida (Kindle Edition)
Back in 2006 I made my last trip to Orlando. Feeling a touch nostalgic (& a bit nosy) I decided to buy Catherine's book after a trip to Disneyland Paris ( where the cast do wander around at ground level when their shift ends). Firstly, I loved how she brought Orlando to life again for me, especially Kennedy Space Centre. Secondly, she is very funny & I found myself reading chunks outloud to my Husband (he said he enjoyed it too, but as we were trapped in the Channel Tunnel it's hard to tell ;-) ) & I finished the book in record time & downloaded the next. Anyway, this book is an enjoyable read for those who have visited Disney World & within it's pages there is a little bit of magic that makes me want to go back, however I think I like to stay in a private villa!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - Love Orlando, 23 Sept. 2013
I was going to Orlando on holiday in September 2013 and decided to purchase this book and read it whilst there. Catherine I absolutely loved it from start to finish whether I read it out by the pool or in bed after a long day walking around a park. Loved your description of the hotel where you worked and its location within the Disney area you were spot on. I have been going to Florida for 19 years and there were things in this book even I didn't know about the area. Great detail about Celebration didn't know the 'background history' to the area but went for a visit and what a fantastic beautiful place for those lucky enough to call it home.

Catherine I am now a fan keep the books coming.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy going, funny page turner, 1 Nov. 2012
I loved this book - I wish I had had the gumption to do what Catherine has done in working abroad - I did manage a 3 month stay at a children's summer camp in the USA but that's hardly the same! Catherine is funny and her books a real page turner - I always wanted to find out what happened next - her humourous way of writing hits the note perfectly. Her infectious enthusiasm for anything 'space exploration' related made me make a point of watching a documentary about the USAs space programme.

I read the Kindle version, after my husband had read it, and I laughed out loud as much as he did.

Catherine, please get back on your travels and write more books :)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Entertaining Read, 3 Nov. 2012
Mr. John A. Hilson (Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
For anybody with an interest in either Walt Disney World or Kennedy Space Center, this book (together with More Mousetrapped) is a must. Even if neither of these things are really on your radar, Catherine's style makes this an enjoyable book for anybody keen on travelogues. I read Mousetrapped on holiday last year and enjoyed it so much that I read her next book (Backpacked) when I went away this year. All in all, I would definitely recommend giving this book a try and (for those of you like me who are intrigued by such things) Catherine has a very interesting self-publishing backstory which is worth checking out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good pre-holiday read, 7 Oct. 2012
I bought this book prior to my family's upcoming 2nd Florida trip and I was not disappointed.
It is an easy read, entertaining and funny.
I enjoyed reading about the experiences of somebody working there rather than being on the tourist side.
If you have been to Orlando before you will be able to relate to this story and I would recommend this book to anybody who is contemplating working at Disney.
I was so pleased with it that I had to follow up Catherine's further backpacking travels in her next book (see seperate review).

5.0 out of 5 stars :), 8 Oct. 2013
I love this book and all her books so much, I think the things she writes are hilarious. But that is because her humour is as quirky as mine.
Mousetrapped really brought me alive and I loved reading about the different places and experiences she had, I think there are plenty of books describing how horrible guests are in certain establishments and I felt that that is why this book is special - it didn't do anything predictable, the author just wrote about what she wanted to write about really and I found it fascinating!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unmissable read for all WDW/Orlando addicts!, 14 Jan. 2014
Catherine Ryan Howard has written a humourous and delightful, behind the scenes travelogue that all Disney voyeurs must read! Whilst she undoubtedly fell under the spell of the Mouse, she retains and conveys a refreshingly cynical edge that reminds you the massive Disney corporation is first and foremost about extracting the maximum $$$$ spend from their besotted visitors. A great read - finished in one session! Go back, please, Catherine (never Cathy!) and do some more. G'wan, g,wan, g'wan!!

5.0 out of 5 stars An honest and entertaining insight into working in Orlando, 24 July 2013
I really enjoyed reading this book. I have visited Orlando twice in recent years and loved it all. My daughter has considered working for Disney on a J1, but as ended up working summer camp in Minnesota instead. I found it both interesting and entertaining to read. I also thought it was an honest account; the author has some low times there and doesn't gloss over this fact. I think it is a must read for anyone considering the same experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining read., 18 Nov. 2013
I really enjoyed reading this account of one young Irish woman's 18 month stay in Orlando. Written with a wonderful sense of humour and an acute sense of self-awareness, which is put to use as a comedy device. I was glued to it. I particularly enjoyed Catherine's account of watching the launch of the space-shuttle - it actually made me weep! In the local swimming pool spectator area, where I was waiting for my kids - embarrassing.

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›