on 18 December 2009
Great product ordered and delivered all with in 4 days great service.I needed this to link my Tv to my home theatre system very good quality works brillaint and considerable cheaper than other retailers i would order from this supplier again.
on 14 October 2011
Works perfectly.

If you were particularly silly, you could go elsewhere and spend £35 on a 'Monster Cable' equivalent that would do exactly the same job as this little baby does for a fraction of the price.

Um... here's the thing: It's a DIGITAL signal. Unlike analogue signals (such as speaker outputs), it either works or it doesn't. This cable works, for less than a fiver.

Now, I'm happy to spend more on higher quality analogue interconnects for hi-fi components, and higher quality speaker cables, where things like oxygen-free-copper wossnames and gold plated thingumies might make a difference, but the whole "premium digital cable" thing is a con - especially, and I quote, marketing guff like "The Monster Cable Fibre Optic 250dfo Advanced Performance Audio Cable with its enhanced audio realism will optimise your audio components. Don't settle for second-rate data transfer.". No, it wont. Enhanced audio realism? Rubbish. It's a flexible glass rod. It can only transmit what it's given (or nothing at all), it cannot "enhance" the signal, nor make it more "real", nor will it "optimise" your hi-fi.

For transatlantic fibre links, a higher quality of glass will doubtless help reduce signal attenuation, but over a single metre? You could pretty much use recycled milk bottles. Provided your DAC can still distinguish a 1 from a 0 (or enough 1s from enough 0s that the error checking can correct any erroneous bits), its output and thus what arrives at your speakers will be unaffected.

Bottom line: If you're a sucker, go ahead and spend loads more on a flexible glass rod. If you've got your own brain, buy this flexible glass rod. Five stars.
22 comments|84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 December 2009
I purchased this to connect a digital to analogue converter box between my Toshiba LCD tv, which only had optical output for audio. The sound from the television itself was thin, tinny and flat, with little detail when it came to watching DVD's and using a PS3. The idea was to buy the DAC box and connect to my hi-fi (Rotel & Q Acoustics) using left and right phono cables. I'd been into places like Comet and Currys only to find they wanted an absolute fortune for cables like this, so I decided to buy the one recommended on Amazon when I purchased the DAC. Well, I have to say the sound quality is awesome! The quality of the cable itself is definitely not cheap and with it's noiseless performance I would recommend it to anyone in the market for a decent digital optical cable.
0Comment|97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 June 2012
I purchased one of these a few weeks ago to connect my Playstation 3 to my Yamaha Soundbar. Since then I've had to purchase an addition two. This time I needed one for to connect my Optical Switcher (has I'd ran out of free optical sockets on my Soundbar) to my Soundbar, and I needed the other for to connect my Apple TV to my Optical Switcher.

First off, make sure when you are connecting these leads (or any Optical leads for that matter) that you give them a firm push until you hear them click into place, if you don't hear the click, then there not connected properly, so push until you hear the click!

After reading the reviews on this lead and after been EXTREMELY satisfied with the same lead I'd got a few weeks previously, I had no hesitation in going back to HDCentral for another two.

For £5.45 for a 2 metre optical cable built to this quality, I found this an excellent price. The cable is of good thickness and the end parts of the lead, I was surprised to see that they are metal, a lot are only plastic, so with HDCentral's Optical Cable, it should last a while even if it get unplugged/plugged in a lot.

Don't believe all the hype of the stupidly priced Optical Cables for £50 and above that claim all sorts, and quote all the fancy materials used in manufacture and in doing so try to make you believe the quality will be different. Optical Cables either work or they don't work, has long as the light travels through it, it will work and sound the same as any expensive cable. Granted older analog leads such as such as Scart leads for example can differ in quality due to materials etc used in manufacture, but its not the case with Optical Leads.

To sum it up with my Pro's and Con's:

Pro's:

Very good price.

Excellent value for money.

Superb build quality and materials used in manufacture.

Excellent speedy service from HDCentral.

Con's:

Well there is none : )

If you are the kind of person who thinks spending £50 plus on an Optical Lead will give you better quality, then you are kidding yourself, do yourselves a favor and have an extra £45 or so in your pocket and get this lead XO Digital Optical Cable 2m / 2 Metre Premium Install Series - suitable for PS3, Sky, Sky HD, LCD, LED, Plasma, Blu-ray, Home Cinema Systems, AV Amps .
on 14 December 2009
Great product that's really well made. Works very well with nothing to complain about. Although the postage times were quoted in days the actual delivery was the next day...excellent service all round & would use them again!
on 16 August 2012
This is a great cable and it really does come at such a great price. I bought it to use with my DVD player at home, and am highly satisfied with its quality and performance.
on 4 February 2011
Needed the XO digital optical cable to connect my Sky+ Hd box to my Onkyo HTX22HDX surround system to enable direct surround sound from the Sky+ HD box. HDMI from the Sky box does not transmit digital surround sound. Movies now sound fantastic. I have a 37" LCD TV, PS3 (for games, mp3, DVD Blue-Ray etc), HTX22HDX surround sound system, Sky+ HD, and now my set-up is complete. Don't waste your money buying expensive digital cables. This one has done the job for me. Great service from the supplier too, as i received the cable soon after ordering it.
Onkyo HTX-22HDX Compact 2.1 Home Cinema System with Onkyo SKS-22X additional Speaker Package
Sony PlayStation 3 Slim Console (320 GB Model)
on 25 August 2010
This cable is excellent: cheap and high quality built. I use it to connect my Blu ray player to the Home Cinema system and the sound is amazing. Be aware that the optical cable can carry only 5.1 channel sounds, so if you want to transfer DTS-Master Audio or Dolby TrueHD sound (blu ray formats) use other method like HDMI.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 15 September 2012
I recently purchased a PS3 and wanted surround sound. It became obvious that I needed a short optical lead and I decided on the XO 1m Optical Cable based on the reviews I had read.

I am by no means an expert but it didn't take me long to set this up and link it to my amp from the PS3. I couldn't get any sound through my speakers at first but it was a case of the optical lead having to be plugged into the TV/SAT socket on my amp and not the DVD outlet that I originally thought it would have to plug into. Sound is sharp and crisp and this lead is a terrific bargain.
on 23 May 2011
Very, very happy with this cable. I believe that with optical cables you will not hear any difference between expensive or cheaper cables. After all this is just light and if it arrives then it's job done. The problems occur when you start to lose or leak light, that's when you see degraded sound as the light is not all getting there. This cable has a very good tight, snug fit. It arrived quicker than expected on a super saver delivery. Save the money you would have spent on an expensive cable and buy one of these - and buy some more music with the change.