5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT!!
Published on 26 April 2001 by tishwebb@hotmail.com

3.0 out of 5 stars A Senior Citizen as the main hero
Another of King's book which is set in the (fictional) town of Derry, Maine. The main protagonist in the book is Ralph Roberts, a man in his 70's who has recently lost his wife. He starts to suffer from severe insomnia which seems to be getting worse and worse, and he wakes earlier and earlier. Than he starts to see hallucinations, auras around people, and he thinks he is...
Published 8 months ago by The Pegster

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT!!, 26 April 2001
This review is from: Insomnia (Paperback)
unlike other people who have read this book and thought it rubbish, i have to disagree. some of kings books have to be read right the way through before you start to appreciate them (dreamcatcher for one), i thought this was an enjoyable read and the plot had a good number of twists in it. As with every Stephen King book, i was there with the characters and experianced everything that they went through and thought the story was fabulous and although some parts were slow going i kept with it and was glad i had. i have read the book twice and found it just as enjoyable the second time round.i loved it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best listened to as an Audio Book - My Favourite !, 16 Aug 2011
D R. Weedon "Limeydivad" (Brighton, Sussex U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Insomnia (Audio CD)
Insomnia

Audio read by Eli Wallach.
Like many great novels, starting is like unwrapping a christmas present. You anticipate what's inside and it takes a few moments to unwrap and reveal what's there. 'INSOMNIA' is like that; but I admit it takes a wee bit longer than unwraping a present to perhaps capture King's intentions in the novel. I read a comment about the novel saying the main character, Ralph Roberts wasn't believable because he came across too young and energetic for 70 year old man; ignore this; it soon becomes evident how he becomes 'young & energetic'. The 'real life' parts of the novel give you a clear view of retired people in American Derry and their interaction with others. The fantasy parts are complex but intriguingly interesting. Lots of great characters, both real and of the fantasy world.
ELI WALLACH IS RALPH ROBERTS, he reads it perfectly and you believe! This is fantasy supernatural; there's no scary ghosts or ghouls jumping out at you but some very creepy strange characters in both the fantasy and real world will make you think twice about death; is it set in stone when, how we die or is there a force at work whose intent is to bring a sense of random to death. Read/listen to Insomnia, it's thirty odd hours of shear entertainment.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's 2am while i sit writing this about Insomnia..funny that, 22 Feb 2004
Sue Lewendon "Film fanatic" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Insomnia (Paperback)
This was the first book I read by Stephen King and it got me hooked. I received it as a birthday gift and I must admit that I was a little disappointed. I thought it wasn't my kind of book. How wrong I was!
I started reading it eventually out of sheer boredom and quickly forgot all my preconceptions. It is a brilliant tale of Ralph, an elderly gent who has a little trouble sleeping after his wife dies. As he sits at his window in the dark of night, he sees things that aren't quite right. Little bald headed men in white doctors coats. He also begins seeing auras around people, or balloon strings as he refers to them.
This is a story of magnific proportions. Ralph and his loyal friend Lois begin a journey of discovery and terror. The Crimson King shows his ugly face once again too. Along the way there is tragedy and romance. This is the first book to ever have made me cry and it's a horror by King!!!
I recommend this to any true King fan and to anyone else who fancies something a bit different. I mean there aren't that many books where the hero is an old guy is there?! Point made I think!

5.0 out of 5 stars King at his best, but then when isn't he?, 6 Mar 2003
This review is from: Insomnia (Paperback)
I read 'Bag of Bones' before 'Insomnia' and I noted a character named Ralph Roberts who informs Mike Noonan (central character in Bones)that he looks tired, perhaps he's suffering from insomnia, and Ralph Roberts knows all about that.
Much as I expected, Ralph Roberts turns out to be the hero of 'Insomnia', surely one of King's most unusual and unpredicatble novels.
King himself admits (in the forward to 'The Green Mile') that he experiences bouts of insomnia, thereby explaining the incredible insight he shows into the nature of the condition; any erstwhile insomniac will be able to relate to Ralph's experiences in the early part of 'Insomnia' in the same way that it's easier to understand the nature of a pain once you have experienced it yourself.
In some ways Ralph Roberts isn't a typical Stephen King character; for one thing he's much older than King's usual lead characters and he's neither a writer or a teacher. In some ways this is a welcome break from the pattern, although King does manage to retain other patterns which his 'constant readers' will find both pleasing and gratifying.
The story is set in Derry, surely the strangest town this side of Castle Rock and there are plently of references to other events in the history of that troubled place which should be familiar to those who have read 'It' (Mike Hanlon is still the librarian), 'Bag of Bones' or 'Dreamcatcher'. There's also a nod to the Dark Towers and intelligent suggestions concerning the layering of reality.
This is a surprising, compelling and somehow inspiring book. Ralph's insomnia is a key to far, far stranger things. It is scary in the right places, amusing in the right places and thought provoking in the right places.
Incidentally, if you do read it, and I ernestly suggest you do, it adds an extra dimension to the proceedings if you reflect afterwards that, in mythology, Atropos (one of the three fates)was considered 'The Inevitable'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 11 May 2012
S. Harris "scott" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Insomnia (Kindle Edition)
This was my third attempt at reading Insomnia. Having recently purchased a Kindle Touch and loaded it up with a few books, I read 11.22.63 and the new Dark Tower novel Wind Through The Keyhole. These books renewed my interest in King as an author, so decided to once again try and read Insomnia. On my previous attempts I have got no further than approx 100 pages. This time I gave the book my full attention and I am glad that I did. I read this inside 10 days.

Granted it is not an easy read. But it is a rewarding read. Unlike many King books. But a worthwhile exercise. The main character Ralph is great and you really lose yourself in his journey. The key events and people all drop into place and with the now what seems obligatory references to the Dark Tower.

It is by no means one of his better books but I did enjoy it once I got into it. If you like me had problems getting into it persevere it is well worth the time and effort.

4.0 out of 5 stars Reading this book actualy gave me insomnia!, 18 Oct 2010
This review is from: Insomnia (Paperback)
I've read a lot of King's books and I have to say that this is not his best work. However it is still a capturing story. At times it can be slow and a lot of concentration is needed to work out what is actually going on. But it all comes together in the end! I found the concept of the story extremely intresting and the charecters loveable. Which made me disappointed with the ending! It's a definiate read!

5.0 out of 5 stars A favourite, 4 Aug 2007
Ms. L. M. Morris (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Insomnia (Paperback)
I've only read about seven or eight of Stephen King's titles but I must say that this has been my favourite, and definitely up there in my top ten of all the books I've read. I love the concept, it's very otherworldly while still close to home and heart and I enjoyed the characters' company immensely.

I'm somewhat confused about a couple of the previous reviews; it has been said that the main character is unbelievable due to the fact that he is seventy and has insomnia, and has energy and youth despite this. Firstly, the insomnia affected him in such a way that it did become beneficial; he did become more youthful and he did gain energy and this was a big part of the plot, it wasn't an accident... so I don't really understand what is not to get.

The reviews may be referring to the character before he started losing sleep? Well, I happen to know a few fellas of seventy plus, and they have more energy and vibrancy than most of the twenty-five year-olds I know. They may have a good few decades behind them but they still know how to hold their own and charm a young lady like myself.

What I'm trying to say is, those who consider the character unrealistic due to his energy need to get out more and have a few beers with our wonderful pensioners. This book is easily read, loveable and unusual and I will always continue to recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Long time in process, 11 May 2014
Radiojock (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Insomnia (Kindle Edition)
At the end of this story, there are two dates written, suggesting it took three years to write this book.

Ralph; Lois; Ed Deepnaeu and other main characters make up a huge cast for a story I haven't read in many years. I wonder how King sees a story come to fruition? He has got a brilliant mind. Also, he's always had a cleverness for telling of the supernatural. Where on earth did he get it from?

Balloon strings; auras, abortion clinics and a madman who was once a good neighbour. How could someone end up so completely mad? And Clotho; Lachesis and Atrophos are three spirits you wouldn't want to meet on a wet and windy night!

Scary; creepworthy, call this what you like, but it's an intense read, well worth anybody's time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous book of solitude, slow paced life, and mystical characters., 2 Mar 2013
This review is from: Insomnia (Hardcover)
I have read numerous Stephen King books. I think I have read Insomnia 3 times now. Insomnia (as well as IT and The Stand) is one of SK's books that I sometimes fondly think about when glancing over my bookshelf and have the urge to read again. I think I like the book because I find it very relaxing, perhaps because of Ralph's solitude in those small hours of the morning. But also, the mystical, other-worldly characters in the book, adds a wonderful dimension that we start to discover as Ralph's powers start to strengthen and he sees what we cannot see. This is making me want to read it again! So, basically, in my top 3 SK books. Best wishes.

5.0 out of 5 stars stand alone or sideline to The Dark Tower, it's good!, 31 May 2014
This review is from: Insomnia (Kindle Edition)
Ralph is such a likeable person fumbling his way through a world where nothing is as it seems, where the ever present menace of the Crimson King colours all he does, but he does it in style. A true hero.
This is a typical Stephen King blockbuster book, loaded with good varied characters you can believe in and get involved with, whilst looking for and finding the links to the Dark Tower, where everything begins and everything ends. As someone who can't get enough of the Dark Tower, this made the book even better for me.
After some unsatisfactory reads, it was good to get involved in something this big, this real, and this entertaining.

Insomnia