5.0 out of 5 stars Just read the whole book in 24 hours - excellent
Published on 16 Nov 2008 by L. Grace

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I had hoped
Published on 12 Jun 2011 by Dr. Bojan Tunguz

5.0 out of 5 stars Just read the whole book in 24 hours - excellent, 16 Nov 2008
L. Grace (Belfast, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Just After Sunset (Hardcover)
I might be biased as I am a Stephen King fanatic but these are his best short stories yet. If you enjoy his work you will love these. If you are new to Stephen King and not sure if you will like his stuff then I would recommend this set of short stories as an introduction. As King is getting older (he turned 60 this year) these stories have a running theme throughout of mortality and what kind of afterlife there could possibly be (In stories such as Willa, The New York Times at Special Bargain rates). He also has an uplifting story about September 11th - someone who survived who was meant to be in the twin towers and how he comes to terms with this. The Gingerbread Girl I think is the best story in the book - I couldn't put it down until I'd finished - a woman who has lost a child starts running and just runs away from all her problems only to find a bigger problem where her running comes in handy.
I don't want to give too much away but other themes are mid-life crisis (Stationary Bike), Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (N), a cat from hell (!) nuclear bombs, and a story involving a porta - loo.

If you are a SK fan you probably already bought this, if not buy it if you like short stories, buy it if you like weird and wacky and stories, uplifting stories and stories that cause you to question the world.

I got this book yesterday and just finished it as I couldn't put it down

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I had hoped, 12 Jun 2011
Dr. Bojan Tunguz (Indiana, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
A few years ago I had read Everything's Eventual : 14 Dark Tales, a collection of 14 short stories by Stephen King. For years I had been a big fan of Stephen King's novels, and I had always enjoyed short stories as a genre. Therefore I was pleasantly surprised to find out that Stephen King is not only able to write book-long narrative thrillers, but was equally if not more at home with the constraints that short story imposes on the writer. I saw that King's writing style is in its own right a very compelling tool that he deftly uses to keep readers interested in the story, even there is nothing supernatural or out of this world in the narrative. This sentiment had led me to look forward to The Best American Short Stories 2007 collection for which Stephen King was a guest editor. However, this collection of short stories proved to be a complete disaster - the stories were some of the most boring and unimaginative that I have ever read in the Best American series of books. It had shaken my impression of King as someone who can truly appreciate a well-crafted short story, but I still believed that it bore no relation to his own writing ability. So when I came across this new collection of his own short stories, I was very eager to give it a try. The first red flag came in the introduction. It turns out that King was inspired to write this collection by his experience as the editor of "Best American Short Stories" collection. As I read through the stories my misgivings got confirmed. The stories, by and large, turned out to be the worst of the two worlds: they had all of the discursive, aimless rambling of some of King's longer works, and none of the shocking potency of immediacy of a short story. The characters find themselves in a variety of supernatural and otherwise strange situations, but for the most part we are not sympathetic enough to their plight to care what happens to them in the end. There were a couple of stories that I genuinely enjoyed, but overall this has been a rather disappointing reading experience. I still believe that Stephen King is a great writer of suspenseful stories that reflect on some of our deepest fears and anxieties, but this collection of short stories doesn't do justice to his talent.

3.0 out of 5 stars SK has done better in past, 7 Jan 2010
This review is from: Just After Sunset (Paperback)
This is not as good a collection as Nightmares and Dreamscapes, Skeleton Crew etc. Stephen King seems to borrow more and more from his past unpublished works. It is eminently readable but does not linger on the consciousness as his better works do.
Being a huge fan, I set the standards pretty high for him and so will mark it as a mediocre compared to his other masterpieces.

5.0 out of 5 stars King at his best, 25 Feb 2013
This review is from: Just After Sunset (Kindle Edition)
As a "constant reader" of Stephen King books I was brought this book as a present when it first came out. I have to say that although I love SK books, sometimes I do very occasionally struggle to get into them, Under the Dome being a good example! I left Just after Sunset unread in the bookcase for a long time before finally settling down with it yesterday morning.

However, this one hooked me from the first story onwards and I sat on the sofa most of yesterday unwilling to put it down. I'm nearing the end of the last story now and will finish it off tonight. King at his best. An excellent read.

4.0 out of 5 stars OK through the night, 13 Mar 2011
Clipper 314 (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Just After Sunset (Paperback)
Good set of short stories with some interesting ideas turned into tales for our delight!.. as a bonus he has included the inspiration for the stories.. either through events or his own views/thoughts on life. Good read and nothing that scares the pants off you so you're OK to pick it up at at 2 a.m.

4.0 out of 5 stars A writer of substance, 28 Dec 2008
Amazon Customer "Boo62" (Ilkeston Derbyshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Just After Sunset (Hardcover)
I have to confess that to a certain extent I miss the old days when Stephen King had a simple aim when writing. Scare the reader as much as you can. This has all changed and although he retains the ability he seems more interested in structure & character development. Rather than outright scares the short stories here are either fairly straightforward thrillers or slightly weird. Beneath them all is a strong sense of melancholy & what might have been.
The beauty here is a variety of styles, from a strong sense of Ray Bradbury 'other worldliness' to the best murder thriller writers. King has a superb ability to describe settings and characters emotions in a detail that draws the reader in & makes a connection between you and those being described.
The plots here vary wildly & some are just a brief look at a moment in the lives of others, such as the writer who must decide whether to intervene in a domestic incident or the middle aged couple whose lives have hit a rut but who are about to be torn about by the husbands dream. The decision to finish this particular story just at the point it is about to hit it's stride is both frustrating & inspired. It's just one idea out of many that are original & keep this collection lively.
They don't all work but thats not because there are dull stories in here but rather just such a wide spectrum it would be odd if they all appealed to everybody. So it makes sense that there is likely to be something in here you will enjoy.
In truth King writes best when slowly unfolding his ideas across a full novel. Although a more than capable short story writer it's not his best medium. That said for my money this is a really enjoyable collection that keeps you hooked for 'just one more tale' & continues to entertain. I would say it was also a book you could happily return to & read again.
To compare Kings latest releases with what's gone before is an impossible task that bears little fruit but this is a worthy addition to his, (vast), resume & leaves him comfortably positioned as one of the finest writers on every years best-sellers list.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Gingerbread Girl, 17 Mar 2013
The Gingerbread Girl reads just like a movie in your head. It was so vivid in my mind it made me feel uneasy. That's why I love Stephen King. He scares me, smashes my heart in a thousand pieces, blows my mind, tortures my soul and makes me beg for more. Just After Sunset is another great collection of stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shady stops on a highway, 13 Feb 2013
This review is from: Just After Sunset (Paperback)
Great stories. Nervous and grim, but compasionate. Very well done. Steven King knows all of us, for good or bad. I really like the story about the couple who realise they are dead and move on.

3.0 out of 5 stars A couple of real stand-outs in an otherwise average collection, 1 Feb 2011
Lauren Thomas - See all my reviews
This review is from: Just After Sunset (Paperback)
I am a really big Stephen King fan, and will generally read any of his work that I can get my hands on. While I didn't dislike this collection of short stories, I personally found that there were one or two stand-outs (The Gingerbread Girl, The Things They Left Behind and N. were the ones I thought about most after reading them) amongst an otherwise unremarkable selection. Don't get me wrong - they're enjoyable enough with some real classic King moments to them. I personally just didn't get the urge to continue reading like I usually do with King's books, and at some points I even found it hard work to turn the pages (Stationary Bike comes to mind)!

4.0 out of 5 stars Eight Excellent Tales (Out Of A Butcher's Dozen), 28 Nov 2010
This review is from: Just After Sunset (Paperback)
As I've written elsewhere, the short story (or novella) is the perfect form for King, just enough room for readers to settle down and warm their hands on a good campfire tale.

After Sunset opens rather disappointingly with Willa. From the beginning, this story unfolds in an etherial and rather romantic manner which reminded me of the weaker offerings from The Twilight Zone. The atmosphere is too dreamlike and predictable to accumulate any real vitality, never mind tension or spookiness. I presume the effect was deliberate, and some people like this kind of thing, but it still didn't work for me. However, the collection contains eight other stories which are excellent, a few of which I would place amongst his very best. Graduation Afternoon is one of these, a startlingly convincing horror story, but without so much as a whisper of the supernatural or a single spatter of blood (plenty of sound and fury though). Others stories I liked were:
Harvey's Dream
Rest Stop
The New York Times At Special Bargain Rates
A Very Tight Space
Mute
I believe that each of the above is resonant for different reasons. Interestingly, two of the most powerful, Harvey's Dream and the one I mentioned, Graduation Afternoon, are also the most simple. There are images in these stories that will definitely stay with me. The revenge tale, A Very Tight Space is great black comedy, one of the best non-supernatural stories he's written, and with a pleasantly wicked ending. I also liked The Gingerbread Girl and The Things They Left Behind. Gingerbread was riveting, right up to the part when the killer returned. Then, for me, it lost steam, and the showdown seemed far too artful and protracted (and the unlucky guy who came to the rescue of the heroin is weirdly superfluous, like an actor who steps onto the wrong stage and is forgotten as soon as he makes his exit).

There are good things in the other stories too, but some of the ideas are far too familiar, and had had better outings in previous novels or stories. I had assumed there was a Lovecraftian dimension in N. though apparently it is based on an Arthur Machen story, The Great God Pan. I enjoyed it (and the novel way it made use of OCD) but it just rattled on a bit too long for my liking. Also it is VERY hard to make ghoulies from another, evil dimension really convincing, though Machen and his contemporary, Lovecraft, did sometimes manage this.

I enjoyed Stationary Bike till I realised where it was going. King has used that 'possessed artist' thing at least once before (the awful Duma Key). I thought the story better than that padded, overblown novel, but it still didn't quite get there. I would have liked less of the labored allegory (complete with metaphorical not-so-bad guys) and more strangeness; and the best kind of strangeness is both unexplained and very ordinary, obdurate really: not the fairytale wolves in Willa, but the beercan that appeared (in Stationary Bike) on a road that wasn't there, a road that was really just a mural in a guy's house. King is a great man for the telling detail, the loose thread that, if pulled, can unravel the partition dividing the everyday world from a waking nightmare. But sometimes it's far better not to yank that thread too hard; just a glimpse may be all we need.

Just After Sunset