4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to grow, and plenty of fruit
Published on 5 July 2012 by Roger W

Published 4 months ago by Mr

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to grow, and plenty of fruit, 5 July 2012
This review is from: One-Pot Chilli Growing Kit (Kitchen & Home)
I bought and planted this chilli kit last autumn (spring would have been better, but they managed OK). In a few days,four of the five seeds had germinated, and the fifth followed maybe a week later (this last plant hasn't grown as much as the others, probably due to their head-start allowing them to out-compete it for light. It seems healthy, but hasn't born fruit so far).

The kit really is all you need to grow chillies. The plants would probably benefit from re-potting before they get too big, but that's by no means essential; I've kept mine in the original pot and compost and they're doing fine. The four large plants have given me a good crop of chillies already, and show no sign of stopping. The fruit itself is pretty strong, certainly hotter than a mild chilli such as a Jalapeno (I've done some background reading, and the 'Apache' strain seems to be about level to wax peppers on the Scoville scale).

The only thing I can fault about this kit is the instructions. They are very basic, and while this won't matter to experienced horticulturists, a novice like me would benefit from a few more details. In particular, the instruction card doesn't mention that the fruit won't grow unless the flowers are pollinated (yes, in retrospect I should have thought of that!). This probably won't matter if you're growing your chillies somewhere that gets visited by flying insects, but mine are in a fairly sterile office environment, so I had to pollinate them with a pencil. That done, the flowers started to grow into fruit (you can tell if a flower's been successfully pollinated as the petals shrivel and fall off, but the central part of the flower remains and soon starts to grow).

All in all, I'd highly recommend this kit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 2 Feb 2011
This review is from: One-Pot Chilli Growing Kit (Kitchen & Home)
Arrived very quickly, and I planted them straight away. I'm living in student accommodation so I needed a kit with everything included, and this really has got everything - even a bag to rehydrate the compost in. Three plants have already germinated (ahead of schedule) and have grown a good inch just in the last couple of days - they're being grown in a fairly dim room, just with a standard desk lamp shining on them, and tinfoil all around to maximise light, and I haven't even used the plant food that came with them yet.

I'd definitely recommend this kit to anyone who wants to grow chillis, the instructions make it totally fool proof. I chose this one for the good reviews (and because I'm from Devon) and it's brilliant - I've already been to their website to look for different kinds of chillis to grow.

3.0 out of 5 stars So - better off going to the garden centre and buying individual ..., 14 Aug 2014
Mr (LEATHERHEAD, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One-Pot Chilli Growing Kit (Kitchen & Home)
one small pot, one small propagator lid, one seed label, one small pot chilli feed liquid, one plastic bag, one pack dried compost and a packet of just five (5) seeds. None of which germinated despite ideal conditions. So - better off going to the garden centre and buying individual bits unless you want to give someone a gift that may just be a pot with some soil in it and no chillis (or maybe up to 5 plants if you are lucky).

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought for my dad!, 2 Aug 2013
This review is from: One-Pot Chilli Growing Kit (Kitchen & Home)
I bought this for my dad and he is very pleased with it, and was surprised at how quick it grew!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, 17 Oct 2011
This review is from: One-Pot Chilli Growing Kit (Kitchen & Home)
I would really recommend this kit to anybody. I was a little disappointed at first when I saw there was only 5 chilli seeds. Had bought as a gift for my husband and he's not the most green fingered but loves chilli. However all 5 seeds grew into strong healthy plants with plenty chilli's (maybe too many!!). Very pleased with the product has everything you need and very easy to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!!, 4 Mar 2012
This review is from: One-Pot Chilli Growing Kit (Kitchen & Home)
I bought this kit to add to a little herb garden I've got going indoors. My herbs aren't doing that well but my chilli seeds have all germinated and the seedlings look like they should be getting their second leaves really soon...There's something really satisfying about growing something yourself. I can't help but check these every morning to see how they're getting along as the sun comes in the window and they all stand to attention to soak it up :)

4.0 out of 5 stars 5 successes, but pricey for what it is., 17 Nov 2014
This review is from: One-Pot Chilli Growing Kit (Kitchen & Home)
Bought as a Christmas present last year, but we didn't plant them until June. All 5 seeds germinated and we decided to pot them on into 5 individual pots since we felt the pot provided was too small to allow them to grow as well as they might. They definitely do not look as big as the "week 12" picture on the box, but they all have fruit on them and continue to grow even now in November. Overall very happy with the purchase, but highly recommend not sowing the seeds until Spring particularly since a lot of other reviewers have said their plants failed having planted them when still cold.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 28 Oct 2014
This review is from: One-Pot Chilli Growing Kit (Kitchen & Home)
I've been growing my chilli plant for a few months now and it is huge and covered in green chillis! We also have a few red ones. I've tried the green ones and they're pretty hot. The plant isn't too hard to grow and seems reasonably hardy as it's survived the last few months under my care. My three and four year olds have also been fascinated watching the plant develop from a tiny seed. Very pleased with the purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars which is just as well as they're pretty big now, 17 Aug 2014
This review is from: One-Pot Chilli Growing Kit (Kitchen & Home)
Bought for Mum, and boy did these grow! She does have a shed/greenhouse to put them in, which is just as well as they're pretty big now. Before that a sunny windowsill was perfect. The chillis are big, and they are seriously hot. Used them the other day to make a curry, and she said it was her best ever - two very happy customers.

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, 10 July 2014
This review is from: One-Pot Chilli Growing Kit (Kitchen & Home)
Bought this as a gift. Seeds failed to germinate, so complete let-down.

One-Pot Chilli Growing Kit