Format: DVD|Change

This is a powerfull drama that tells of a sixteen year old girl who is expecting her second child , both as a result of being raped by her father.
She lives with her mother and suffers constant abuse both verbal and physical.
'Claireece (Precious) Jones' imagines a very different world for herself to blot out the bad things in her life.
She aspires for things to change for her and her child, things start to work out for the better after being expelled from her school, a teacher points her to a more specialised teaching unit which together with a new social worker helping 'Precious' discover a different direction in life.
Perhaps things can start to change for 'Precious' for her, and now two children.
This is an intense film in which 'Gabourney Sidibie' shines in her first film role( as 'Precious' )
With supporting roles from 'Mariah Carey' and 'Lenny Kravitz' the film will allmost certainly hold your attenion.
on 22 August 2012
Fantastic DVD which made me feel so protective over the main character and also so proud. Despite a horrific young life with everything stacked against her, Precious triumphs over adversity. Moving and utterly watchable!!!!! Do not be surprised if you shed a few tears!
44 comments|7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I liked this film, for its honesty, its reflection of a lifestyle that is (thankfully) beyond comprehension for the majority of its watchers. The film, although less brutal than the book, is a glimpse into a world of low self-esteem, where the central character struggles to find her identity - beyond that of her welfare cheque grabbing mother. So yes, there are many flashback scenes - to a world where Precious hopes to live, complete with light skinned boyfriend and flash dresses - but they are integral to the self-denial that people suffering low self-esteem have as a defence mechanism. In that sense Precious is a very real film, a film that does the social duty of showing the majority population the problems of people who are outside the 'norm' - by being fat, black or poor. A final sentence on the performance of Mariah Carey - expertly cast as a social worker type - fantastic and one can only hope she gives up her day job as a singer!
on 23 September 2012
Having not grown up in Harlem, I can not say how true to life this story is for the folk there, but it is adapted from the book "Push" by Sapphire and all I can say is be thankful you don't have the problems of the lead character Precious.

Precious is a story full of drama and with a strong story line, the acting of the lead actress Gabourey Sidibe is superb, and how they turn her in make up into a such a drab person is beyond me as she is actually very pretty if you google pictures of her. She really is convincing in what at times is a too overwhelming set of problems, that at times is a little too hard to believe.

It's a tale of rape, incest, abuse, violence and hope - yes despite the sheer misery and hell that makes up 98% of this film, Gabourey always manages to make the hope seem real for her, even if you as the outsider just know that it is not.

The colour and transfer to blu-ray is good and vibrant despite there being mostly indoor scenes which on modern films can often be somewhat dark and blue in tone, so certainly recommend buying this film on Blu-ray.

I can't say this film is a classic in the same way as Alice Walker's "The Color Purple" which should be a set text for students, but it is a film that should be in your collection if you like a decent story.
VINE VOICEon 25 August 2010
At first glance, Precious looks like one of those dodgy tv movies that you get on channel 5 or hallmark in the afternoons, but Precious is miles better than that. This is quite simply a stunning film, one of the most well acted films that you'll see this year. It's very bleak, and you'll have every sympathy with the lead character played by the fantastic Gabourey Sidibe, a complete newcomer with apparently no acting experience, in fact, you could say that her tale is as worthy of being turned into a film as Precious herself. Mo'nique thoroughly deserves the best supporting actress oscar, playing a truly vile character and Mariah Carey is a complete revelation as a social worker. This is an excellent film that took me completely by surprise.
on 12 March 2015
The story line is really full and explores painful issues. That is good. However, the amount of foul language justs gets in the way. Also the explicit rape scene not necessary. There is a power in suspense and innuendo. I'm not sure what age range this is aimed at but I would not show to a pre teen of 12 - 14 who I think would really benefit from such a film. With all that said, the acting is superb.
on 31 May 2011
I heard alot of good reveiws about this movie but I wanted to get a visula for myself. This movie is not easy on the eye but that is what makes it so great because it depicts REAL life. Monique is just fantastic she becomes her role. Everyone else plays there part but monique stands out the most for me. Thoroughly enjoyed. Glad that I bought it.
on 25 August 2015
This is in NO WAY a children and family film - particularly noted by its "R" rating, which generally equates to a 15 in the UK.
Awarded 1 star (minimum) for this glaring miscategorisation.
on 21 June 2010
Precious is an extraordinary film that unfolds without grace, or ease. There is no sweetness to balance the bitter. There is no relief from the pain, no moment of glory or time between tragedy. This film did not make me laugh. It made me cry. And I cried - not a salty single tear that made me feel connected to our heroin, not the tears that come when pain collides with hope. These tears stung my crumpled face as I held on to my heart bursting with the force of hopelessness and despair that crept up like damp in my soul.

The clenched fist of this film reached for my guts and left me with nothing. When I walked out of the movie theatre and back into the LA sunshine I was numbed, silenced. I watched chicken soup tv that night and went to bed early. Then they came - the feelings, the thoughts the reflections. What an extraordinary performance by Gabourey 'Gabby' Sidibe, her flesh dwarfed by her spirit in a role that will surely win her an Oscar. Where did Monique find the humanity to anchor the film in a scene that allowed us to have empathy for the monster who would be mother? And how did director Lee Daniels inspire these actors to play amongst the dirt?

I watched this film as a woman, as a black woman and as a black woman sitting in America. There are a few important facts about Precious. Firstly it is not a true story, it does however look and feel like a true story and the fact that it is almost beyond our comprehension only serves to compound the illusion It is far too real. It is some body's reality. Secondly, this is the story of abuse, deprivation and illiteracy and yet it has been presented as a Black American story. It could have been told by a poor white, Mexican or Asian family or it could indeed co-exist with many films that show the broad spectrum of the black experience and therefore provide context and balance. Instead it follows Chris Rock's Bad Hair in the movie theatre and has inspired many real life stories of abusive black parents played out in national newspapers and on local tv news shows. Thirdly this is a story of a girl just trying to find her place in the world and that place is never comfortable for Precious, she is never safe, never warm, she never fits. Yes she finds crumbs of love, but they leave her hungry.

And yet this film has informed me beyond so many others. It is not the experience of this film that has enriched me, but the questions that it raises. I will be proud if Sidebe becomes the second black actress in history to win an Oscar for Best Actress and surprised if Monique does not also take home her own golden prize but I am uncomfortable with the vehicle that delivered them. How will the hope and glory of these women serve the real life daughters and Mothers for whom prejudice and resentment is both source and substance of their behaviour?

This is also a film co-produced by Oprah Winfrey a black American woman who has survived abuse, battled with weight and despite her own greatness and unparalleled success understands the struggle of identity and acceptance; and there is a sense that Oprah knows best. This film cannot be dismissed as exploitative and sadly the truth of Precious will ring with deafening authenticity in the conscience of too many in Black America yet I wanted to scream no, stop, too much. I hated the dream sequences when Daniels shows Precious dreaming of better days and sees a white blond woman looking back at her in the mirror, I think he got it wrong. Black girls in the projects want to be Beyonce not Brittney. But mostly I just want Precious to have a a chance to wash up, get dressed and get better before she is exposed to the harsh glare of the world.

Precious [DVD] [2009]
Karen L. Cummings-Palmer
on 30 March 2015
A hard film to watch to have to watch the suffering Precious goes through. Disturbing, but very good film. Only wish the ending gave us some indication of what lied ahead for Precious rather than just knowing she had escaped the brutality of her mother and abuse inflicted on her by others.