5.0 out of 5 stars Mesmerising, 17 April 2010
varske (UK/Georgia (Caucasus)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Via Crucis (MP3 Download)
I saw this group playing on Mezzo TV and didn't realise it was a plug for their new CD. But I was mesmerised by watching Barbara Furtuna (the chorus) singing the track "Maria" and after a couple of hearings (Mezzo can be quite repetitive) I found I couldn't get it out of my head. Sends shivers down your spine. And then I realised that Philippe Jaroussky was on the CD as well, so I had to get the whole thing. Fantastic modern sounding baroque music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Via Crucis, 29 April 2010
Andrew Hooker (Somerset, U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Via Crucis (Audio CD)
Buyers of Teatro d'Amore are unlikely to be disappointed by this. L'Arpeggiata are as controlled as ever, and retain the magnificent cornett player, Doran Sherwin. One or two tracks are quite jazzy - but that's what many found so intriguing about the earlier disk.

5.0 out of 5 stars Music for the soul in Lent, 1 Oct 2010
This review is from: Via Crucis (Audio CD)
This is a meditative CD for early spring evenings, when the promise of spring is in the air but not quite yet. The old instruments put you in the mood for reflection. I found the style quite distinctive. It reminded me of something else but I couldn't tell what. The male voices of Barbara Furtuna are robust and plaintive at the same time. The Corsican four-man band sings with emotion about the suffering of Christ in Holy Week. It is simple but effective, no surplus of instruments. Quite a treat for who can appreciate it.

5.0 out of 5 stars happy easter with L'Arpeggiata, 12 April 2010
Bruce Adams (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Via Crucis (Audio CD)
My first contact with L'Arpeggiata was with their 'Tarantella' CD. Others followed until I bought the Monteverdi CD, which although well produced, wasn't exactly to my taste. However, this man Jaroussky just gets better and better. I have a couple of clips of him singing Giulio Cesare with Cecilia Bartoli, and I think he was chosen to sing with her because he is now world class. This Cd is about Easter and was released just in time for me to begin listening to it on Good Friday this year. This is a wonderful CD and I listened to it throughout, something I didn't do with the Monteverdi. Well done that group, but why do they never come to England?

5.0 out of 5 stars A recordin fully of virtuosity and style., 18 July 2014
This review is from: Via Crucis (Audio CD)
A rewarding mix of music and performers, I have not stopped playing it since I bought this album. A unique interpretation, played on instruments that bring a vitality and originality to the tracks.
I want more, I will and have collect further recordings already.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exemplary playing from the L'arpeggiata ensemble and fine singing in this reverent exploration of the Easter tradition, 18 July 2014
This review is from: Via Crucis (Audio CD)
Exemplary playing from the L'arpeggiata ensemble and fine singing in this reverent exploration of the Easter tradition. The robust harmonies of Barbara Furtuna are a joy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Via Crucis, 2 July 2010
This review is from: Via Crucis (Audio CD)
Great performers, heartfelt performances.
All musicians are outstanding, the soprano and counter-tenor superbly matched. The pieces with Fulvio Bettini and Vincenzo Capezzuto with a sound of non- "groomed" classical singers are very refreshing!
Superb CD!

5.0 out of 5 stars Peaceful and soulful, 25 Nov 2012
This review is from: Via Crucis (Audio CD)
The perfect music for quiet contemplation. Food for the soul. Beautiful voices. Gorgeous orchestral sound. The theme is Easter. Something to listen to time and time again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Musicianship of striking quality, 22 April 2014
This review is from: Via Crucis (Audio CD)
I was alerted to this recording by an airing of Merula's 'Hor ch’e tempo di dormire' on BBC Radio 3. I have not been disappointed. The musicianship is superb, the interpretations of the Early Music are compelling, and the recording is crystal clear. I cannot recommend it too highly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great accompaniment to Lent, 7 April 2014
This review is from: Via Crucis (Audio CD)
A great accompaniment to Lent (and Easter!). Especially charming are the songs looking back to the childhood of Jesus, foreshadowing his later sufferings. The singing is sublime, especially the voice of Our Lady. The unusual instruments (for one more used to piano, guitar, organ and orchestral string instruments!) are a pleasant surprise.

Via Crucis
Via Crucis by Christina Pluhar/Philippe Jaroussky/Nuria Rial/Barbara Furtuna/L'Arpeggiata
Buy MP3 Album£7.99