5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious
Trisha Ashley has always been able to write wonderfully charming, funny romantic stories which have a bit of bite, and this new novel is as fabulous as the best plain chocolate that's been spiced up with a hint of chilli.

Published on 5 Mar 2010 by Lally

2.0 out of 5 stars Average Can do Better
Chocolate Wishes, 3 Mar 2010
Published on 9 Mar 2010 by Cod

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious, 5 Mar 2010
This review is from: Chocolate Wishes (Paperback)

I loved the heroine Chloe, who is a successful businesswoman with a delightfully crazy family, and the hero strides into the story like a rock god coming on stage to a rumble of thunder - which is appropriate because Raffy is indeed a former rock god turned vicar. I wish we had vicars like Raffy where I live.

This is a great story about love lost and found again, enlivened with a sparkling cast of wonderful supporting characters. I love Grumps and Zillah - I could see them in my mind's eye as I read about them. It was also good to go back to the village of Sticklepond, which is one of those fictional settings that become real for the reader as the author trickles more information about it into each subsequent novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real treat!, 5 Mar 2010
P. C. Fenton (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chocolate Wishes (Paperback)
If you need a really good book to curl up with in front of the fire on a cold Sunday afternoon, this is exactly what you want - a lovely, feel-good, romantic story suffused with humour and with the sort of characters that stay in your mind long after you've put it down. A likeable heroine who has made huge sacrifices in order to take care of her younger brother (a most appealing teenage Goth!), a grandfather who is a warlock complete with coven and a gypsy aunt are only some of them, not to mention a most unusual (and gorgeous!) hero. The village in which they live is peopled with loveable eccentrics and you are swiftly drawn into their affairs. I highly recommend this, but be warned - you will fall in love with the sexiest vicar ever and if you don't have a box of chocolates to hand, you'll be very sorry!

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Chocolate Wishes' by Trisha Ashley, 9 Mar 2010
This review is from: Chocolate Wishes (Paperback)
As a bloke I was wondering what I was going to encounter when I first started to read this particular book going by its title, but I soon found out that I need not have worried!
Trisha Ashley is a wonderful writer. This particular story revolves around Chloe Lyon who lives with her younger half brother Jake and her grandfather 'Grumps', who heads a covern which practices pagan rites! Her life up until now has not been easy and also appears to have been fairly complicated in places, to say the least.
Chloe makes chocolate wishes in her spare time (hollow chocolate shapes containing 'wishes', which are small pieces of paper with encouraging thoughts,suggestions or predictions printed on them). All is looking well for Chloe following a house move to the picture perfect Lancashire village of Sticklepond, until a new vicar arrives in the village!
This story is not just for the ladies, but is a very readable book for the male species as well! Trisha's writing style is easy to read, flows well and is very humourous in places.
As a bloke I actually really enjoyed reading this particular story about Chloe, her family,friends and the unfolding events that impacted on the regular routine that Chloe once seemed to have!
This is a story well worth reading.

2.0 out of 5 stars Average Can do Better, 9 Mar 2010
Cod "fantasyfan" (UK) - See all my reviews
Chocolate Wishes, 3 Mar 2010
I am not really writing this review for new Trisha Ashley readers. If you have not experienced how excellent she can be then you may find this acceptable as standard fare chick lit. But if like me you are a fan because of "Good Husband Material"," The urge to jump", "Singled Out" and "Every Woman for Herself" (we will draw a veil over Lord Raven's revenge) then don't bother to buy this book wait for the Library edition.
Let me start by saying that I absolutely love Trisha Ashley. I recommend her books to my friends and re- read them. I like her books because she has interesting feisty heroines usually with a nice line in humour, different and amusing plot lines. Plausible but at the same time unusual characters but most importantly she WRITES REALLY WELL. I buy a lot of books so I divide authors into the ones I pre-order from Amazon and the writers I wait for in the Library. Up till now Trisha Ashley has been the former.
I waited for the new novel with keen anticipation. But I agree with another reviewer that Chocolate Wishes is not up to her usual standard. I also agree that there seems to be homage's to Christina Jones.
What is missing is the high standard of writing - It is not particularly well written, the wit and witty asides are missing. The plot is weak and muddled with several ideas rehashed from earlier books. There are some very weak links - why introduce the satanic villain Mr Mann-Drake if we are never going to meet him. It might have been more interesting if he had been younger and a possible rival for Raffy. I got the feeling that she had missed a deadline at the publishers and cut him out. And an ex- rock star vicar ( p-leese) Equally Raffy Sinclair was mentioned on Page 1 and thus on page one I already knew the ending - as the author has used the device before. This was particularly annoying. Same with the best friend idea. And why mention Skint Northern women magazine without quoting some of the really funny ideas in that publication.
I have read Winter's Tale so I understood the allusions to Hebe Winter I assume that they were there to try promote the previous book but they clogged up the book and were superfluous.
In summary this not a bad book it is just a standard book and Trisha Ashley is (has been) so much better than this. I really hope she improves in her next book but I will not be ordering that one in advance.

Good Husband MaterialEvery Woman for Herself

2.0 out of 5 stars It didn't capture my imagination, 24 Aug 2011
This review is from: Chocolate Wishes (Paperback)
Having never read Trisha's books before and being promised that she always delivers a good tale, have to say that this sadly didn't capture me. I struggled to identify with the characters...'Grumps' who seemed to be a cross between Victor Meldrew and Dumbledore...Zillah, a Romany-type aunt...and the heroine Chloe who is also a substitute mother to a Goth. I gave up on the book before Raffy the rock-star/vicar re-entered Chloe's life. Sorry! However, I shall certainly try another of Trisha's books because she has a strong following and I suspect this novel might just be the one that can't be good every time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating, plus wholly enjoyable story...!, 24 Aug 2010
This review is from: Chocolate Wishes (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this story, almost from the beginning, felt an afinity with the heroine...who whatever life had thrown at her, she continually bounced back, (despite a rather diverse background) due to her great friends and rather unusual family members she'd created a great business and lifestyle for herself and young brother... My only criticism being, due to the excellent narrative / hugely descriptive areas of the book relating to the making of chocolate 'wishes' etc, I found myself craving chocolate...! Even having finished the book, I'll never forget my cravings whilst enjoying the story itself. I'd definitely recommend this as an excellent winter read, (despite my having read this during Summer I feel the story would prove even more conforting as a winter read...!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant From Start To Finish, 24 May 2010
This review is from: Chocolate Wishes (Paperback)
I read the reviews about this book and they were pretty mixed. This book is really good, I read it in 2 days (but I was recovering from an operation!).

This is about a girl called Chloe who lives with her brother and grandad. She has her own business making and selling cholocate. She has never been quite lucky with her love life and she has to deal with 2 ex-boyfriends turning up, while dealing with her business as they have just moved to a new village. She also has her friends Poppy and Felix nearby her now and she would love for them to become an item and she tries her hardest to make it happen.

This book deals alot with chocolate and goes in to some detail about how Chloe is making it and you get the feeling you are actually there.

You get a bit of laugh.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't eat them read about them!, 14 Feb 2011
Jo D'Arcy (Portsmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Chocolate Wishes (Paperback)
This is the story of Chloe who makes wishes. Chocolate Wishes. These delicious treats contain a wish or thought for each customer a prediction of what might happen in the future. Similar to fortune cookies but with more chocolate!

However, Chloe's life is not so easy to predict. She was left to bring up her step brother Jake, when her mother went off on a cruise and never came back, which resulted in Chloe giving up university and the man she had fallen in love with Raffy Sinclair. He never responded to her letter. Years later it turns out she never responded to his message either and they had both been blaming themselves for no real reason.

Now time has passed and lives have changed Raffy is back in Chloe's life under a rather different and surprising guise which unites the little village that Chloe lives in.

Chloe's responsibilities are not for her growing business and growing stepbrother but also her rather eccentric family that she is attached to both through love and location. Her `Grumps' as a character makes for delightful reading as does her aunt Zillah. Both have a unique way of predicting and perhaps determining the future with some rather strange methods.

This book has plenty to get absorbed in; the love life of Chloe mainly of the past which comes back to haunt her in the present. Her friends, Poppy and Felix who it is obvious should be together but have yet to realise that themselves. Chloe needs to help them. There is the eccentricities of Chloe's family and the move to a new house to open a museum for all things `warlock' as well as expand her own chocolate business and carry on as typist to her grandfather who writes novels. There is also village life to regale at, the parish council meetings, the threat of an outsider coming in and developing local land into housing estates as well as the theories about what actually will be going on in a museum to do with warlocks' et al. It might seem very random but fits together for me very nicely.

Chocolate is melted throughout this book. We get descriptions of the smell, the texture, how the wishes are made, how the truffles Chloe makes just for herself taste, the quality of chocolate compared to the people she knows, in fact all things cocoa related.

A book to curl up with when you want some cheering up, a little cocoon to escape into and devour without perhaps putting any weight on! Though be warned it makes you want to eat chocolate......

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great, 6 Mar 2010
Cozymysterycrazy (living in a dream world) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chocolate Wishes (Paperback)
I love Trisha Ashley's books, especially the early ones like 'Every Woman for Herself' and 'The Urge to Jump' and her recent 'Wedding Tiers' - but this one didn't quite do it for me. Like biting into a chocolate truffle and finding it hollow.

Maybe it was because it seemed to promise much more than it delivered. It started quite strongly, but most of the supporting storylines just fizzled out weakly well before the end.

I did like the village setting, the characters and the chocolate theme (who wouldn't!) but the 'magic' aspect reminded me a little of Christine Jones's books.

Also, although the heroine was supposed to be about 35, her taste in music and her attitudes seemed more appropriate to an older generation, which affected the tone of the book for me.

So, alhough it passed a couple of evenings quite cosily, with the help of a large box of chocolates (because I'm quite suggestible!) I didn't stay up late to finish it this time. I will probably wait for the library copy rather than pre-ordering the next one from Amazon as I have always done in the past.

2.0 out of 5 stars predictable from page 1!!, 17 April 2012
This review is from: Chocolate Wishes (Kindle Edition)
i bought this book a while ago, becuase the front cover really appealed to me. i knew it would be one i would just want to mindlessly read - not have to think about and could pick up after a period of not reading.
it was very predictable though, from page one. i finished it, however would not rush to buy any more of trisha's books - i am not sure where the humour was, i didnt find it in the least funny!! good book to fall asleep to on the beach and not have to concentrate on so excellent as a cover while people watching.

ARRAY(0xa6675f54)