4.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous design - worth 200?
To counter the potentially Dyson oriented review above, I am a non Dyson employee but a complete sucker for anything weird and wonderful:

And yes, the Dyson air multiplier is indeed incredibly weird and rather wonderful!

In a nutshell: Noisy as hell/ Beautiful design/ Effective air cooling/ Gadget freaks dream.

In more depth:

To...
Published on 28 May 2010 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Noisy and overpriced
Prior to this, I had a 30 bladed fan with two speeds, that chucked out a massive amount of air for very little noise. I was suckered in to the Dyson "Air Multiplier" for two reasons: 1. It looks extremely cool and 2. It has no blades, and therefore is safer if you happen to have a crawling baby in the house (which I did).

What a mistake. The two...
Published 16 months ago by The Happy Space Invader

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous design - worth 200?, 28 May 2010
Amazon Customer - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Dyson Air Multiplier AM01 12 Inch Desk Fan (Silver/Iron) (Kitchen & Home)

In more depth:

To take its basic function - a fan/ air cooler - its performance is, as you would expect from Dyson - remarkable. Ive no idea how it properly works but it does, and is akin to having a window open on its lowest setting. On its highest, its like standing outside on a breezy day (it wont blow your cheeks out but it will certainly have your hair horizontal). In short - it would work well in most sized rooms.
The breeze from it is very cooling, even in a warm room, so to cool you at your desk it is brilliant.
It pulls air through its base, and blows this over an aeroplane style circular wing. Its very clever, and produces a soft, smooth stream of air (though to be honest Ive never been uncomofrtably "buffeted" by a standard fan, but whatever).

The noise however is borderline obscene! On its quietest setting its a little louder than a standard PC fan - again, not a problem on a desk or in a conservatory, but it would likely keep you from falling asleep and certainly score problems watching TV. On its loudest setting it sounds somewhere between a hairdryer and a cooker extractor on a low setting. For a fan - startlingly loud in other words.
So essentially - the noise tollerance is personal: I could get used to the noise at lowest setting, but never at any other level - I was dissapointed with how loud it was (its much MUCH louder than a normal desk fan or air con unit) hence it dropped a star.

The design though is exquisite. The finish is soft grey in complimentary detail shades, its plastic is similar to that of a dyson cleaner (its not thick or shiny, its matte and very light, so easy to move around) and in terms of over all looks, its a real man-fan, and certainly gets people talking. The base unit as it revolves does so fully from top to bottom, so it looks really cool and clever, and the power button (flush with the unit so very nice styling) has a soft blue LED behind it which fits nicely to the design.
Controls are simple and intuitive, as is set up (it arrives in two parts, the large circular "wing" is slotted and clicked into place easily), and the tilt function is really tactile and simple.

As touched on, its a very masculine looking product, though not exclusively so, and as it has no blades is indeed very safe (I proved this by putting my head through it, as you do). Im not sure how much an issue safety really is though, as most fans have a fine mesh guard on.... so....

Worthy of its 200 price tag?... I really dont think so now; I would happily pay maybe as much as 150 for it, purely for its tech appeal, and it really looks stunning on my desk (everything is grey, black, silver shades and it fits in beautifully) but the noise level really does make it's price tag a bit insulting.

If you are a tech head, design freak or gadget monster, then its definitely one of the more impressive toys you should ask for for christmas, but I would suggest you wait til the price drops or you can get it on sale.

2.0 out of 5 stars Noisy and overpriced, 13 Mar 2013

What a mistake. The two biggest problems with this fan are:

1. It doesn't push out much air... even on the highest setting

2. It's very noisy. On the highest setting it sounds like a hairdryer; on the lowest setting it makes a high-pitched whining noise.

So, when I want to actually cool the room down, I use the 30 fan... and when I just want to show off to friends visiting, I get the Dyson out of the cupboard. And I think that last part really tells you all you need to know about this product.

2.0 out of 5 stars So noisy!, 6 Jun 2010
I wanted to replace an ugly pedestal fan in the bedroom. Read reviews and saw the Dyson working in a shop. On the plus side, the design is stunning compared to bladed fans and it does deliver a good airstream without buffeting. Unfortunately the downside is that it's extremely noisy even on its lowest setting and totally unsuitable for use overnight in a bedroom or anywhere where peace is more important than cool air. I'll move mine downstairs and maybe during the day in the home office or where the TV is on the general daytime noise and other equipment may drown out that coming from the Dyson fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 9 Jun 2010
John Inglis - See all my reviews
The fan does everything that it promises and looks fantastic, sadly it has no timer or remote control. I am still pleased that I bought the product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Go With The Flow, 19 May 2014
prisrob "pris," (New England USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This was a pretty good buy. This bladeless fan draws in surrounding air, and amplifies it 15 times. The result is a smooth airflow with no choppy, unpleasant buffeting. Because there are no blades or grilles, this fan is easy to clean and has a sleek, modern design. The touch tilt, pivots on its own center of gravity, there is a dimmer switch control, and one touch oscillation.

It does move air much better and quieter than any fan I have ever used (and that is 30+ years of experience). I have been able to cut back the AC use because of this "air multiplier". Perhaps this, over time, will justify the price. However, If it were half the price it would be a dream machine.

Recommended. A prisrob 05-19-14

4.0 out of 5 stars If only it was quieter, 2 Sep 2011
Doug "Doug" (York, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
After a long, and I mean long time considering and reading reviews I took the plunge and bought one of these fans.

The design is beautiful.

The fan also works very well, I have it on the corner of my desk and it is perfect for moving the air round my sometimes stuffy office.

So If it is beautiful, no incredibly wonderfully beautiful, then why not five stars.

Well there are a couple of drawbacks

To be awesome I would have liked

A remote control to vary the speed.

The vary the speed control to be better designed, it sticks out like an afterthought

A longer cable

But all of these pale into insignificance with THE NOICE WHICH IS DISTRACTINGLY LOUD

The voice is such an issue I wondered about returning it, and maybe I should have, because I sometimes turn it off to get rid of the drone.

So if you are thinking of getting one, they look awesome, friends will comment, but you won't be able to hear them if it is turned on!

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it, 6 Jun 2010
A. Harper "A J H" (UK) - See all my reviews
Its expensive, its not as quiet as I would like it to be and its not as strong as it should be on full power, but I like it. Its neat, works well and looks good. It facinates my children and has piqued their interest in how the objects around them work and how you can make things that are simple and ordinary but beautiful. Well done again Dyson for taking us beyond the mundane.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great design but very poor build and few features, 17 July 2011
Cloud watcher (London, England) - See all my reviews
This fan is an excellent idea and works well (when it works). For the price though the build is very very cheap and simply doesn't make sense for the price it is being sold at. I can understand the circular part being as light as possible but the base should be solid aluminium or similar which may help quieten it. At the moment the oscillating feature has stopped after a week and we've no idea why and very reluctant to try anything as it is so flimsy, so will probably have to return it which is not what anyone wants for a product by Dyson. In summary, great design let down by very poor construction and a silly high price. This should be sold for less than half the price. By comparison we've also got a tower fan that cost 60, makes just as much noise, has a very useful timer and even has a remote. If Mr Dyson is serious about 'British' design making it onto the main stage then having a great design is one thing, but making it with very few features and very poor build won't do it - having it made as cheaply as possible in the far east to maximise profits is one thing but the far east are quite capable of making top quality products that can be sold for top dollars and will enhance a company's reputation - ask Apple.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too noisy and too expensive, 29 July 2011
Just bought one of these very - disappointed. The main problem is the unbearable noise - much louder than a conventional fan and it doesn't perform that much better. Yes, the buffeting is less intense but it is still noticeable and it doesn't cool any better than my old fan.

The only positive thing I can say is that it looks great - but that isn't really the reason you buy a fan. Certainly not worth the money - I will be sending mine back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good fan, quite noisy but great for white noise to allow sleeping at night!, 2 Aug 2013
Just as I expected really - I'd seen the fan in real life and it's good.

The seller sent it well packaged and overall I'm happy :)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›