on 25 April 2012
I have quite a lot of remotes cluttering up my lounge, and I've been looking at a Universal Remote for some time. After acquiring an iPad for work, I decided to give one of the many iOS remote accessories ago, and after a lot of research I decided to go for the L5. Turns out it was a great decision, it's a fantastic bit of kit for the price!

It has to learn the buttons from your remotes, so the set up can take a while if you have a lot of large remotes, but the free app that goes with the accessory allows you to completely customise the appearance and layout of your remotes, with many different types of buttons (and the option to have larger buttons, great for folks with poor eyesight). You can even have hidden button trays and customise your own icons for the buttons if you want. Once you've created your remote in the app, you have to assign the buttons, which you do by pointing the remote at the L5 and pressing the buttons, a quick and easy process.

The best part is that you can also create hybrid remotes with buttons that operate different devices, for common tasks (for example common DVD and AV amp buttons on one remote). You can also create Macros that allow you to fire many actions with one button press. For example you can set up a button that powers on your TV, DVD and AV amp, and then sets all the correct channels.

If you have multiple iOS devices, you can also create an account that allows you to copy your remotes to all of your devices, which is handy!

If you like tinkering, there's plenty of scope for that in the app as well, you can customise your remotes really heavily, which is great if you want to experiment with different layouts and setups.

I'd highly recommend this to anyone who wants a cheap way of cutting down on the number of remotes in the house!
on 3 June 2011
I have about 12 remotes in my cinema room for various different gadgets and decided to compress them down into one universal remote.

I was originally planning on getting a logitech remote for £400 but I saw this on amazon and decided to give it a go.

For £35 this adaptor is excellent. You can programme as many remotes as you want onto one interface. I currently have my 3DTV, surround sound, sky hd, ps3, xbox, blu ray player and my hifi all programmed onto a single remote which is excellent. You can also choose the layout of the remote and put the buttons wherever you want and label them individually.

This product works on iPhone / iPad and iPod touch. All you have to do is go onto the app store and download the software which is free.
on 29 December 2012
This a pretty neat little add-on for your iDevice. I had been looking to replace my clunky, 8 year old Home Theater Master MX-500 learning remote and had been tempted by a Logitech Harmony but this little dongle plus app has now more or less replaced the old thing completely. The L5 isn't perfect though and, although it has plenty of pros, there are a number of annoying cons so hence it only gets four stars for me.

Pros

- works with my iPhone 4S
- app is a free download
- some user generated remotes are available to download
- software is highly customisable
- pretty easy to set up macro buttons; I have set up one which turns on my TV, Sky Box and receiver, sets the sky box to BBC 1 HD and the right input on the receiver all with one button press
- getting the L5 to learn remote signals is pretty quick and it didn't fail once while learning

Cons

- software isn't particularly user friendly and the instructions are minimal
- there are no built in codes for remotes; you have to either hope another user has created and uploaded a remote for your device or get the L5 to learn the signals from your current remote by pointing the two remotes at each other
- there were a selection of ready made layout for my Sky HD box uploaded by users but nothing for my Panasonic TV or Sony receiver so I had to create layouts for the TV and receiver myself and get the L5 to learn the buttons
- on the "cloud" where all user remote layouts are stored, it is very difficult and slow to search; the instructions seem to imply that the remotes are stored by category (eg manufacturer, TV, DVD player etc) but this doesn't seem to be the case
- so you have to search for "Panasonic TV" and hope for the best (and also hope that the user added tags / keywords that identify the device correctly)
- searching is very slow (I have 40Mb/s broadband so it isn't due to my broadband speed)
- sometimes the screen doesn't rotate when you open the app so you have to close the app down in the app switcher (double click of the home button, hold down the L5 logo until an 'x' appears and then click the 'x') and reload to make the screen rotate
- this is a biggie, if your iDevice needs charging, you can't do this and use the L5 at the same time! My iPhone 4S won't last a day without charging so there have been plenty of times when I can't use it as a remote as it is too low on charge
- if / when I upgrade my phone I won't be able to use the L5 remote as the docking connection on an iPhone 5 is smaller than on the 4S so the L5 won't fit

So in summary, this is pretty good and once set up, works really well. It is just a shame that you can't charge the phone at the same time as using it as otherwise it would have made my current multi-remote redundant.
on 6 February 2012
This little dongle and the associated app provide exactly what i needed. Having already purchased an iPod Touch to control iTunes and my apple TV's I wanted to control more devices in my TV room.
So, after reviewing other options I went for this L5 Remote.
The dongle just does the IR transmission part, but what I really like is the way you can design just what you need. You can choose to build entire remotes, or you can just build the functions you use most.

My only problem is that I have one device this unit can't control and that's my PS3 because this uses bluetooth not IR. This is the one feature I would add, additional support for bluetooth devices.
I understand that there is an adapter made by logitech that will solve this issue. May well be my next purchase.

This in no way detracts from the fact that this device and it's app do exactly as promised. I have put 7 remotes away for safekeeping - no more clutter - and this is why my wife loves this device as well.

If you have folks in the household who find your current remotes a bit bewildering, this will solve this problem by allowing you to make simple layouts and macro's.

I would certainly suggest this is a great purchase, well worth the money.
on 21 December 2012
This is easily the best universal remote I've had: it is very reasonably priced, easy to install and straight-forward to program to control all the devices I have. Good range of pre-defined buttons & editing tools, including a 4-arrow plus OK wheel. A standard numeric keypad pre-defined would be good, but it is easy to create key by key (the pre-defined keypad is two rows of numbers). Macro creation is a bit fiddly, but that's due to the great range of ways of presenting controls. The instructions could be better, especially since there is very little indication of what a macro drawer is (it's simply a drawer - a separate pane of controls that opens, then closes to save space on the screen - where the button to open the drawer also runs a macro sequence). Each key in a macro sequence can have a delay added, which is essential when controlling a DVD recorder: each keypress on mine must be separated by a 0.2 sec delay. I haven't found anything I want that this doesn't do: highly recommended.
on 10 May 2012
This little gadgent really works,I am useing it with my Ipod touch 4th gen. I found it easy to assign button controls from original remote, I Just used the learning method button to button it's very quick to just run through all the buttons,you can set them out as you wish. I have my tv and amp on my first screen then just side swipe to my dvd play layout.You have a wide choice of button designs and numerus colour back grounds.You can move,add,delete buttons at any time.
You can have your remote displayed all the time or have it on timeout i use 20 sec.
The only draw back is that you have to plug the widget in every time you want to watch tv,so you must keep it safe,and your ipod must be fully charged every evening.
Ideally you need a spare ipod to use solely as the remote and a charger nearby. So due to this four stars
on 21 August 2011
Product works well, I have Samsung TV, Virgin +, Cyrus CD and Amp, Sony BluRay, Canon camera, MacBook and all work faultlessly. Each button must be learned separately as there are no universal codes as with other remotes, you can however download others shared remotes from the web site and modify them as well. The only thing the I would point out is the you do not have the tactile feel of the raised buttons on the original remotes which makes it more challenging to locate buttons for repeat pressing. You do have the option to space the buttons as much as you like and make them relatively large. The dongle itself seems robust and fits well, just with the size I guess that it might be easier to loose than a regular remote. Definite 5* for doing what it is advertised to do.
on 22 February 2012
This is an excellent, app. based Infra Red dongle for the iPhone/ Pad/ Touch. It is easy to understand how the design element of the remote works, and I created 7 separate remote control designs in about half an hour. Learning the codes across from the original remotes took ten minutes, if that.

The remote can perform macro functions (one press of a button will activate many devices simultaneously), and it is just so easy to add, alter or remove buttons.

Beacause of its wide compatibility the same dongle can be used on multiple devices, iTouch in the bedroom, iPad in the living room etc. Each device can have the same, or different, remote controls stored on it.

An excellent product, highly recommended.
on 18 February 2012
It does exactly what it says on the box. It is an add on for Apple devices such as Iphone or Ipod (see spec). You can download remote controls from the L5 website, you can copy your own devices for backup, and upload them to the database for others to use.
There is a dedicated bulletin board for the L5 as a forum.
I have a coffee table full of remotes, I created one new device using the L5 on my Iphone and now can control all the frequently used functions from one device. This is great because you can pick and mix remote functions for different devices and put them all together using the L5 and phone.
on 30 September 2011
I use this L5 on an iphone 4.

Works adequately, range is not brilliant.
Phone cannot be charged simultaneously when using the HW.

Ultimately it means you can hide your other myriad of RC's in the drawer, which is no bad thing.

You can program innumerable RCs into the free app, so it outstrips all other All-in-one remotes by some distance, it did take some time to design all my RCs and then each key has to be 'learned' buy the L5.....yes each key ie 1,2,3,4...etc etc.

4 stars as sometimes the phone will not recognize the L5, but generally worth it.

(obviously this will not operate a PS3)

See one answered question