5.0 out of 5 stars The best value micro43 camera
Well firstly I bought this camera when it first came out and I paid a lot more for it and I was happy to pay that because of the features, so for this price you are getting a lot of kit for your money and I'd say snap it up!
Published on 28 Nov 2010 by Ms. J. E. Kenyon

3.0 out of 5 stars Georgeous camera - appalling instruction manual
Decided to upgrade camera from an Ixus and after doing a lot of research this Lumix G10 in so many ways ticks all the right boxes. It's very comfortable to hold, so lightweight you could easily tote it around all day, the controls are well-laid out and is an amazing camera for the price. On auto-mode it takes great pictures. However, as soon as I need to recourse to the...
Published on 31 Dec 2010 by SirenSister

5.0 out of 5 stars The best value micro43 camera, 28 Nov 2010
Ms. J. E. Kenyon "jojo" (cumbria) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Panasonic Lumix G10 12.1MP Compact System Camera Kit - Black (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
The camera body is black (unlike the G2's that come in red and blue) it is a rubberised body that is nice to the touch. The lay out of the camera controls are well thought out and are just where you want them. For beginners going up from a compact just press the dedicated AI button and all the hard work is done for you, just point and shoot. But do start experimenting with the different settings it isn't difficult and the manual is the right size to pop in the bottom of your camera bag until you get used to the settings. The different colour settings are great as well, no need for expensive sepia filters etc. For the more experienced shooters the settings are the standard MAPS, an easy to use dial rotates your f-stops and shutter speed. Shutter speed does have B (bulb), but it is only four minutes, which is a shame, but not important to everyone. F-stop depends on your lens and the kit lens is great to get you started but you will soon outgrow it as you develop. It has quite a small range but the pictures are good enough nice and sharp. The main advantage of this range of camera's is the size, not much bigger than a point and shoot. I take this camera out with me walking all day along with my rucksack and it is fine. If you really want a camera that can slip in your pocket then I'd advise investing in the 20mm pancake lens as well. That lens is tiny and the pictures are amazing.
There is no touch swivel screen and independent video recording button if this is your thing then the G2 is the one for you. As far as I could tell from reviews in camera magazines and Which? these were the main differences ( oh and about £150)

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than an Olympus PEN E-P1 or Sony NEX-3!, 12 Oct 2010
M. BERNARD (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
Now the Panasonic G10 has dropped to £335 and is available with a free copy of Photoshop Elements 9 and Premier Elements 9 (by mail-in to Panasonic) why put up with the likes of the Olympus PEN and Sony NEX-3?

The Panasonic only weighs 550g with lens so is about 50g more than the PEN or Sony but has a built in flash and more importantly a electronic viewfinder. For those who wear glasses for reading this is a great boon as all the information is clearly visible in the viewfinder. Also there is no problem with viewing your composition in bright sunlight! It still has a great 3" LCD screen when you need or want it but the EVF is great!

You can have this around your neck all day without strain, unlike a normal D-SLR, and fits in as compact a case as the Olympus E-P1 or Sony NEX-3. It is considerably easier to hold due to the size and shape of the grip and with such a good selection of controls (buttons and dials) it is better to use than the Sony NEX.

Why compromise when their is little to gain from the alternatives? Anyone looking at a bridge camera like the FZ45 that does not need the long zoom would be better with this as both size and weight are comparable.

At the current low price just buy one as it is an ideal camera for those stepping up from a compact. Press the iA button and it's just like having a point and shoot!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Compact Camera, 26 Dec 2010
Just what I wanted - a compact camera where I could change lenses and try new photographic challenges. The camera can be set on automatic as you get used to it, but it allows you to try all sorts of new shooting possibilities as you gain confidence. It is easy to handle and easy to use - excellent!

4.0 out of 5 stars very compact, 8 Feb 2012
It is a very compact, small, lightweight and good looking camera. I like that it has easy operating system for a beginner, Intelligent auto helps a lot and if you wish to swicth programmes manually, you can just turn it off. Hd video has good quality as well, although G10 camera seems to be missing good/better zoom. For a beginner it is a good starting point to begin.

5.0 out of 5 stars great DSLR, 23 Jan 2011
A Kid's Review
Got camera for Xmas,
Great little thing, really light, up to 4 minutes exposure (still not sure EXACTLY how to use it...) and great picture quality. This is great for amateurs like me as pretty much everything can be set to 'AUTOMATIC', and if you are a pro you can adjust all the settings. You will be surprised by the quality of the pictures. As for videos, not great for light, but generally 720p HD does its job, but personally, I got this camera for the images, which are amazing for the price. The lens included is great, and the free Adobe package is a great extra (long time to get here though!)
I would recommend this camera for amateur who really likes photography!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lumix G10 with kit lens, 16 Mar 2012
I bought this camera to be able to take flash TTL with a Metz flash gun as I needed something a little more powerful than the inbuilt flash. The results have been most satisfying. I have also been pleasantly surprised by the quality of the kit lens. Much sharper than I expected.

Most surprising was the quality of the high ISO shots with only a f3.5 maximum lens. Even ISO6400 produced a passable picture with the aid of noise reduction software.

Another pleasant surprise was the quality of the x4 digital zoom photos, enabling the camera to produce an acceptable result at the equivalent of a 336mm lens on a 35mm camera. Makes me wonder whether I need to bother about getting a longer reach lens.

Definitely a camera I would recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Light, easy and cheap - but not quite SLR quality, 17 Jun 2012
I chose the G10 having read excellent specialist reviews of Olympus and Panasonic's Micro Four Thirds system. These suggested that by removing the DSLR's mirror system, but retaining the high quality sensor and lenses usually only found in DSLRs, Panasonic had produced a camera that was far smaller than a DSLR - and cheaper than most - while offering near DSLR quality. I already had a small Panasonic Lumix, which was easy to use, so liked the brand. I chose the G10 version, which is cheaper mostly because it offers a poorer quality viewfinder than other models.

The pluses are very strong. First, as a not particularly good photographer, it is extremely easy to use. I take most photos using the Intelligent Auto setting, which selects aperture and shutter speed, and rarely makes a poor choice. You really can point and shoot. Face recognition, multiple focus etc included. Second, it's far smaller than an SLR, so I take it more places, and feel much less intrusive - it's too big for a pocket, but very easy to sling into a backpack. Third, the picture quality is strong - consistently better than other compacts I have used. The standard lens and build quality are strong. Fourth, if you want to take more serious pictures, you can. There is wide range of options, including manual shutterspeed and/or aperture. And the lens is changeable, with both the pancake 20mm fixed lens and the telephoto lens in the series getting excellent reviews.

I have two slight disappointments, hence 4 stars. First, the viewfinder is significantly worse than on the G1 or G2. You may not mind this if you prefer using the screen, but I find it a little frustrating. Second, the picture quality, particularly depth of field, seems not quite up to DSLR standards (perhaps I am just a bad photographer ?), particularly in flat light.

So I highly recommend the G10 for a mix of value for money, ease of use, picture quality and size. But if you really care about quality, perhaps either try the top of the G range, or go for the full DSLR.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb value, 3 Oct 2010
G. N. Burton (cumbria uk) - See all my reviews
Not only a superb camera, but a strap, lenshood,charger none of which are mentioned in the advert

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect step up from my digital camera, 26 May 2011
I bought this camera as a step up from my small compact digital camera as I wanted something with a bit more backbone when I go away. It is very light and takes wonderful photos. I don't think this is a camera for professionals but makes a great inbetween product. I'm till trying to get the hang off all the buttons and I ersonally don't think the instruction manual is more complicated than anything else i've seen before. plus, the whole point is to go out and work these things out yourself. I feel the price is especially good for what you get, and now my partner also wants one. Highy recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Mix of SLR and Pint-and-Shoot, 2 Jan 2014
KC Gustafson (Uxbridge, UK) - See all my reviews
Wonderful camera. The M 4/3 system is great, and achieves just what I want when I want serious photography, with good usable manual controls. I have put some old manual legacy lenses on and achieved great results, adapters were easy and inexpensive. You get used to the electronic view-finder, which can be focused to suit your eye. More lenses are coming on the market for this now too, and the used market is improving. For my wife, the intelligent auto button makes things simple. Videos are of good quality. My only quibble is the built in flash, which is pretty lackluster.