4.0 out of 5 stars It's a grower!
I feel the reviews on Amazon are a little harsh.

For the die hards from Colin McRae 2005, Dirt, Dirt 2 & Grid - this game initially seems a little different - even strange! However compared with Blur - which really is rubbish - this game actuall grows on you.

Published on 17 May 2011 by Mr. P. Gay

2.0 out of 5 stars Another Disappointing Rally "Non" Simulation
Published on 12 Oct. 2010 by Northern Warrior

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a grower!, 17 May 2011
This review is from: WRC - FIA World Rally Championship (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I feel the reviews on Amazon are a little harsh.

Initially you have driver assists turned on - as you approach a corner the car breaks before you press that button! However - turn these assists off - THEN the game becomes rather playable.

The stages are all beautifully rendered in their countries typical flora and forna - yes - not ground breaking graphics - but well up to 2009 standards (post directX11 standards although a 2010 game).

As you progress - the stages get more difficult and actually become quite addictive. You need to stick with it to get the rewards.

I will say that it can get a liitle repetitive - when for the final challenge you have to do all the stages previously completed all end to end! However some of the quirks of doing stages perfectly (for example) and with a good time are quite a nice twist.

I've played some driving game howlers (remember Virtua Racing?!) - but this isn't one of them. For the money snap it up and get 20-30 hours of fabulous game play.

2.0 out of 5 stars Another Disappointing Rally "Non" Simulation, 12 Oct. 2010
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: WRC - FIA World Rally Championship (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Sorry to say this is still not the rally game we die hards have been looking for. The fact it got simultaneous release on the consoles raised a prickle of suspicion then on installation everything is done via keyboard, no mouse control - quick and nasty conversion. It took me a while to figure out how you set up the control options to recognise the joypad and there's no obvious way to exit back to Windows (it's actually Alt-F4 thanks to help I received on a forum).The front end UI is awful.Got it running - one bright note is the only copy protection I can see is that the disc must be in the drive.

Wasn't expecting Crysis 2 graphics, but they're not even as good as Railworks. Sound is not very good either - the Citreon sounds like a GTA SA Slamvan.

Car handling is pants, on a par with GTA Vice City if that, zero physics and no analogue feel at all. I can't see that changing the car setup makes much difference either. Hardly any car manufacturers to choose from - Ford, Citreon and a token Sub. I want to drive a Corsa!

Gameplay is arcade, career mode is little more than an imitation of the Dirt pyramid system. The AI competition makes no mistakes and even on medium level with what I regarded as a good drive, I am struggling to place in the top ten. Unfortunately that means you can't unlock any new levels and end up stuck playing the same track over and over trying to advance. None of the tracks appear to be real world, just generic 6 - 7km incarnations to cater for the 5 minute attention span of the lowest common denominator.

Think I will be loading up Rally Championship (or Richard Burns) for another go and sampling the delights of Hafren Sweetlamb or Pundershaw in all their technical 20+ mile glory. Is it too much to ask for a "proper" rally game?

1.0 out of 5 stars If you buy this game buy a book too!, 28 Oct. 2010
Mr. Adrian Gardner (UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: WRC - FIA World Rally Championship (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
A poor game, with a dreadfull "console" conversion.

Buy a book to read whilst you wait for the frequent load screens (30-45 sec!) - even when exiting back from a game to a sub menu!

The "car" is very unrealsitic, like stearing a photo of a car superimposed over a track.

Very poor controls, even when you finaly get the controller working (even my "supported" wheel has limitations!)

I have a fast PC (quad core, SLI, etc) and the graphics still has glitches, some odd triangles appearing etc

I paid £17.99 for this, would have felt robbed at 4.99

Sorry, avoid!

4.0 out of 5 stars Vastly underrated, although by no means perfect, 16 April 2013
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: WRC - FIA World Rally Championship (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I've read a lot of the one and two star reviews, and a lot of them don't make much sense to me. For example, I saw one that claimed the game only has Fords, Citroens and a "token" Subaru. That ignored all of the alternate classes, where there are many more cars available - and tell me another game, outside of this series, that offers you the Citroen BX4 TC as standard? And the fact that the only regular WRC 2010 entries were those cars (although the Xsara, 307, and 2008-spec Impreza did appear at a couple of events), so there's not much more they can do with that class. As to the physics, well, it feels more realistic to me than many rally games, with cars losing traction on wet mud fairly easily. And, yes, I've played DiRT 3 (and love it, overall, it is a superior game).

The graphics are perfectly adequate for 2010, although they don't really set any benchmarks, and it's nowhere near as beautiful as the newer DiRT 3 - and you would be naive to expect it to be. The game does have some flaws, however. Even with the Fanatec wheel patch installed, the behaviour in menus can be a bit weird, and occasionally it gets confused and the self-centering kicks out (a common theme in a lot of partially-optimized games) - I have a 911 Carrera wheel. I also haven't found a setup I'm 100% happy with yet, but that's me, not the game's fault. The game does have a weird glitch - if you switch to another tab during the game, sometimes, when you switch back, the game will start flickering regularly, which is weird for a game that should have wheel support.

The fact that rallies are longer than they are in DiRT 3 is also a very welcome thing (although I would like a new game, like Mobil 1 Rally Championship offered, that has 10-15 minute stages). At the price this game costs now, it's well worth getting. It runs smoothly, it plays well, although the co-driver's comments can be a bit annoying, the fact is this game is a lot better than many people give it credit for. Also, no idea where the rubbish about loading times came from, they seem pretty quick to me, and I'm running the game off a HDD, not an SSD, so... Another plus is this was the last year of proper rally cars, before they cut back to 1.6 litre superminis!

5.0 out of 5 stars A real bargain at this price., 6 Sept. 2011
This review is from: WRC - FIA World Rally Championship (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Bought this having been frustrated by DiRT3 which while beautiful had way too many circuit tracks and very short rally sections (plus couldn't get downloads to work despite paying for them). I missed the old WRC and Colin McRae games with their longer courses. For the £6-7 you pay here it is an absolute bargain. No, it isn't a technically accurate rally game like the Richard Burns game which made me very angry at times. Yes, I have played GTR and GT Legends (the latter I'd definitely recommend) and very much enjoyed its realism but still prefer this which has a good balance between realism and playability.

The graphics are old school compared to DiRT and the sounds are pretty poor too but when whizzing along in the stressed out, edge-of-chair state I am in when playing this game I don't care. Excellent tracks, some very long with some terrifyingly fast sections. Have stopped playing DiRT3 entirely.

The race structures are very basic and probably could have done with some more work and you are fairly slowly introduced to new cars and tracks. The cars feel and handle nicely differently and the physics seem pretty good to me (trying to brake at 187kph on shale isn't easy even when driving in a straight line).It works with my Logitech Rumble Pad 2 which is good. No problems installing.

1.0 out of 5 stars WRC 2010, 17 Oct. 2010
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: WRC - FIA World Rally Championship (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
World Rally Championship as developed by Back Bean, in my opinion what this game does stand for is Was Really Crap game. The sound is stereo at its best the exhaust sounds like someone blowing a raspberry, your co-driver is nagging all the time and the car looks as if it is floating in the air. I tried playing it for 2 hours and I could not go on any further. Try the demo first, not like me, and make your own mind up. I think Dirt 1 is twice the game this is and the graphics on that are nothing compared to Dirt 2 or Need for Speed Shift. If you want a new driving game wait a few months for the new Dirt 3 and save money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job!!!, 20 Nov. 2010
D. Dawson "daniel" (UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: WRC - FIA World Rally Championship (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I had extremely high expectations of this game having enjoyed Black Bean's previous creations "Superstars V8 Racing" and "Superstars V8 Racing - Next Challenge" touring cars racers.

In summary, this game does just enough to justify my belief that this developer knows about racing games and can deliver in every genre.

To me the "proof in the pudding" of how good a game is that which remains in the DVD-Rom tray longest and I have continuously put this game back in to have another try and don't regret it.

I am sure enough reviews have indicated what is involved in this title, e.g:

All supported WRC categories with numerous stages throughout the world,
Different activities within the game such as "Road to the WRC",
Time trials for individual tracks and the ability to customize ones own championship,
Undertaking a WRC season (or any of the supporting categories),
Various online modes also which I haven't tried because I am still involved in the main career mode.

Although I haven't yet completed this game I feel that I have progressed enough through the career mode to be able to make a worthwhile review of my experience up to now.

In my opinion, the purchase of this game is a no-brainer. Anybody that loves racing games will get something from this!

Positive points are:

1) Cars look good and handle realistically once the player gets used to the handling. At the early stages in career mode the player could get frustrated but when they move onto more powerful cars the cars handle better and the game feels faster. It might be my imagination but the game graphics also seem to improve with game progress.

2) The stages are fun and just the right length. There is no replay mode and thus the player will be redoing all stages to ensure that they complete the event and therefore unlock more features. This can be frustrating but in the long term ensures that the player learns each stage which makes subsequent revisits with different vehicles easier.

3) There are stages for all surfaces and the immersion is great once the player is used to the handling: Snow, deserts, gravel, mud, wet rain and leaves plus cobblestones are included!!

4) I am just scratching the surface, but the user can adjust the car to improve its performance on different parts of the stage, e.g. adjust brake bias to make the car handling tighter etc. Also due to the fact that Black Bean attests to "real racing", the handling can be made to approach a real rally simulation where the player can play in cockpit view. I have tried this briefly but find it easier to progress through the game in "outside car" view so that I can see the whole track. I am sure that once I have mastered this game, playing in cockpit mode will become a formality as it makes the game come to life - but you need to be able to know where you are going because one mistake can cost you in this game!!

In summary:

This game gets the job done, the player can get out there and race wherever they want, in stages that feel like real rally. There are challenges aplenty in trying to shave off seconds per stage and to progress though the game until the player is eventually recognized by a top WRC team with a manufacturer- backed ride. As I have said, once the player gets to this level, everything makes sense and somehow the graphics seem much improved.

Negative points.

I have only included these to give some indication of how the game could be improved and in my opinion, this game is one of the best racing experiences out there. Anyone who loves racing games of any genre will put the work into this game to get out of it what it so capable of delivering - immediate rally thrills. Purchase is highly recommended because there are few titles like this!

Note: This is not a Dirt or Dirt 2 game and is much more a staple "what you see is what you get" with no frills.

Unfortunately the weight of what this game tries to achieve wears down heavily on the graphics to the extent that they do the job and no more. There are some very visually appealing stages, but these are balanced by stages that are realistic but don't try to flatter the proceedings as Codemasters would do in their Dirt and Dirt 2 titles. However, to counter this fact, at no point in this game are you ever under the impression that you are not driving a rally car and the evidence of this is probably due to the fact that all eyes are on the car and not the surrounding scenery.

Due to the fact that this title supports all of the rally categories, the player needs to grind in the lower categories before actually driving the actual WRC cars as piloted by Loeb and other masters. It seems that Black Bean had to compromise their efforts to deal with all of this rather than creating a stupendous game that would have been top of the tree for the "actual pro-team" WRC championship cars.

In this generation of games, it seems that only Codemasters' Dirt series are a rival and although they are visually more appealing, in my opinion haven't addressed rallying as successfully as this title. You genuinely do remember different tricks learned on each stage which when coming back to the game, you will be impressed that you drive that stage that much better!

Please note: this review relates to the PC version of the game and I have a mid to high end PC with a very good graphics card.

I have heard some comments on long loading times and can only say that this doesn't afflict my experience of the game. There is absolutely no slowdown in this game, and the pace is like a dream!

Note: Use of the handbrake is strongly recommended!

1.0 out of 5 stars WRC - FIA World Rally Championship (PC DVD), 16 Jun. 2011
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: WRC - FIA World Rally Championship (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Worst racing game I've ever played.

Can't calibrate G27 with it properly, doesn't work in 3D Surround, awful driving model and buggy.

5.0 out of 5 stars once you get better cars its great, 10 July 2011
I. Whaley "The Truthfull Techy" (ENGLAND/YOKSHIRE) - See all my reviews
This review is from: WRC - FIA World Rally Championship (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
so many people slate this game but its really good. just got into the mitchy and its so much fun I repeat races many times . if u think its not rally enough bump game mode up to hard , its very realistic .Been waiting for this game since ps2 versions and its not an ultimate game but still very good

5.0 out of 5 stars THRILLING EXPERIENCE, 21 Jan. 2015
This review is from: WRC - FIA World Rally Championship (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Really enjoy playing this game. I'm really inexperienced in driving games
so when I started playing I found it was a really good experience.

WRC - FIA World Rally Championship (PC DVD)
WRC - FIA World Rally Championship (PC DVD) by pqube (Windows 2000 / 98 / Vista / XP)