5.0 out of 5 stars Pure talent.
Published on 22 May 2010 by M. Cook

3.0 out of 5 stars The Food
Katie's Voice is as haunting as Kate Bush back in the early days, Overall the Album is listenable but some of the tracks are a bit self indulgent. My favourite track which i suspect is the single is 'The Flood'.

Published on 11 July 2010 by Ian

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure talent., 22 May 2010
M. Cook (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The House (Audio CD)
Katie Melua's fourth studio album, and her first away from the guiding influence of Mike Batt, a collaboration that has produced some fabulous music over the last five years. It seems this has been something of a double-edged sword for the artist. In my humble opinion she is a supremely gifted singer and no mean songwriter either, but her critics have always used the "Batt factor" as an excuse to undermine her worth. I hope I am wrong, but it seems to me she may have felt this a little too, grateful for the mentoring, musicianship and astounding song-writing talent of Mr Batt, but feeling in latter years that she still needs to prove herself as an individual. If that was the case, then it is a testament to her ambition and dedication that somebody who has already penned such heartbreakingly beautiful songs as "Faraway Voice", "Piece By Piece" and "I Cried For You" should still feel the need to prove her writing ability.
Melua's songs don't always grab one instantly. In fact I have initially dismissed several as duds. But it is always the same - after a couple of plays they begin to haunt my brain like some strange, beautiful ghost.
The House certainly hasn't let me down. In fact I think it is superb. Lyrically clever, haunting, diverse and full of subtle melodies, there is plenty here to please the old Melua fans, but enough diversification from her past style to gain many new ones (and hopefully some younger ones!) William Orbit's production is certainly evident, and some passages wouldn't be out of place in a club. I especially liked the little vocal quirks which are dotted throughout the songs, which only someone of Melua's talent and range could pull off effectively. In fact, in places it put me in mind of Kate Bush's vocal experimentation - and that's no bad thing.
You may not enjoy Melua's particular style, and that is down to individual taste. But for me this album proves there can be no doubt about her talent as a writer of songs.
You may suspect I am a fan of Katie Melua's music, and of course you would be right.
I for one hope that she keeps producing albums as good as "The House" (and her previous three albums) for many years to come. But whatever I say won't make any difference. You will either like something or you won't, and the only way to find out is to listen to it.
But in my opinion, pure talent, with or without Mr Batt.
Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars The House, 11 Sep 2010
S. Williamson "The Quizman" (Gt. Yarmouth, Norfolk, GB) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The House (Audio CD)
If you buy this simply on the strength of being a Melua fan then play it three or four times or in other words don't jump to conclusions!

The 'girl next door' image is going if not gone, but Katie's voice still sounds great, a little more earthy on some tracks and still powerful too. I particularly like 'The Flood' which has great lyrics and a dynamic production. Many may disagree but I could hear a little 'Madonna' (at her best) style coming through on this track and others - perhaps not surprising with William Orbit producing.

Katie punches her weight on the vocals, and few of these songs will ever appear on top karaoke charts because it is clear they are difficult to sing, indeed I feel that in some cases only Katie (and perhaps Madonna) could do justice.

In short Katie will keep her existing following and earn new fans with this album, it grows on you with every play.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best yet, 28 Aug 2010
This review is from: The House (Audio CD)
Superb talent on display once again, hitting all the right notes.

Enjoyable from the first to the last second this is a truly great album, no matter how much the "BBC review" above protests.

If you like your "music" as randomesque noise, then it would be no surprise you would not enjoy this album.

On the other hand, if you like music for the things music is all about, melody, beauty of composition and voice, then add it to your basket and seize the day for indulgent enjoyment.

5.0 out of 5 stars still on top, 22 July 2010
This review is from: The House (Audio CD)
I love Katie and I do not agree with reviewers saying she has lost her soul to modern sound. She did add some new angles to her music but it remains HER style, recognizable at once. I really like this album as much as her previous ones. She is one of a kind.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Food, 11 July 2010
This review is from: The House (Audio CD)

This song has a great change in tempo half way though and is really the most exceptional song i have heard. I do not tire of hearing it and the purchase of the album was worth it for this one track,Katie keep the compositions like this coming. I am now as fan!

3.0 out of 5 stars Katie's house, 3 Oct 2010
This review is from: The House (Audio CD)
This is the first CD by Katie Melua that I've bought. I saw her a while ago on TV singing a song from this album and liked it. What a beautiful voice she has and she writes good lyrics as well as refreshingly different melodies. I'm so glad I got this album and intend to check out some of her earlier stuff now.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best CD from Katie, 27 Jun 2010
This review is from: The House (Audio CD)
This is Katie's best CD in my opinion of all four. Every song is amazing and distinctive. It definitely reminds me of the quality of Ray of Light where Madonna who worked with William Orbitz sounded great for the first time and I loved every song as well. Katie has a superior voice. i dont get why she is not a big star in the states.

5.0 out of 5 stars Katie Melua disk - The house, 24 Jun 2010
Mr. E. Bray (North-west United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The House (Audio CD)
Katie's new album is still the Katie we know and love, but at the same time it is different. A nice different, though.
If you prefer the pure folk-type of Katie's work, this may not be for you, but if you can accept and accommodate the more modern feel, then sit back and listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars A natural progression that should please her fans and interest new ones, 18 May 2010
This review is from: The House (Audio CD)
I recently heard someone say that this record will shock Katie Melua's old fans. I don't think that is true...pleasantly surprised would be a more apt reaction.

The songs still showcase her unique and beautiful voice and there are still plenty of her trademark ballads - although the lyrical content seems a bit darker.

The first single The Flood probably sums up the album well - an epic 'Bond' theme in the main, with an unexpected temp change 2/3 of the way through with William Orbit's production apparent.

The House is epic, it is definitely a "Katie Melua record" for her old fans but, with songs like Happy Place, Twisted and Plague Of Love has songs that should pique the interest of those who haven't previously bought one of her albums

Highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars A New Album, 4 Jun 2010
M. Dowden (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The House (Audio CD)
At last a new album from Katie. Her last album was just a mix of old tracks with a couple of new ones thrown in, which seemed to me a blatant cash-in for the buyer at Christmas. But now we are treated to a whole new album of songs. Katie reputedly broke with Mike Batt, but he is the executive producer here and has co-written one of the songs. Now I love Katie but I know that a lot of people don't. My mum thinks she sounds like she's singing dirges, and my dad said he felt like throwing himself under a train when he was listening to her once whilst travelling into work.

There are some songs here that are reminiscent of her older songs, but also she seems to have lost that blues feeling she had, which is a disappointment, and has gone a bit more pop, although so saying I always class Katie as easy listening anyway. Don't expect anything too edgy here, but if you like Katie Melua anyway you should love this album. All the songs here are written or co-written by Katie except for 'The One I Love Is Good', which is by Bill Monroe. If you have never listened to Katie Melua before then don't expect something edgy with deep meaningful lyrics, after all she isn't a Tracy Chapman. If you like to put your feet up and listen to something relaxing, then this album is for you.

The House
The House by Katie Melua (Audio CD - 2010)