4.2 out of 5 stars1,831
Flavour: Belgian Chocolate|Size: 1 kg|Change

on 19 April 2014
I've been using this product for 2 years now, and I am maintaining my weight after losing 6 stone. I have the shake as a meal replacement for either breakfast or midday meal, and sometimes use it to mix my porridge with for a much longer lasting effect.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 10 April 2014
I purchased this product despite having had some previous scepticism regarding these protein shakes.

My primary reason for finally purchasing was as a weight loss 'companion'. I am not using Phd to try and reduce my calories, but as a nutritional supplement/meal replacement, given that when you are trying to lose weight on a controlled calorie diet, it can be difficult to consume the amount of protein that you need. I use 'myfitnesspal' to count calories and to provide me with guidelines as to the amount of carbs, fat, protein which I should be consuming each day. Thanks to Phd, I am finally meeting my 'target' where protein is concerned.

My first shake I consumed with water. Big mistake (one that almost put me off having any more shakes!), it is much MUCH tastier when taken with skimmed milk (or, soy milk, possibly). With water alone I found the taste unpleasant.

For my first order, I chose the vanilla creme - a good call. I have since tried a few other flavours and below is my personal assessment of them:

1) Vanilla creme - 9/10 - the best so far - tastes like vanilla custard, or vanilla cheesecake in my husband's opinion.
2) Strawberry - 8/10 - another good one and revives childhood memories of strawberry angel delight!
3) Belgian chocolate - 5/10 - something of a disappointment, the flavour is bland, not very chocolatey and not as good as the above two flavours, in my opinion. It also appears more difficult to mix - lumps occur more frequently. I wouldn't purchase this particular flavour again.

I have yet to try the white choc and choc orange flavours.

It has to be said that ALL flavours taste sweet, having plenty of sweetener added. I notice that where negative feedback on this product is left, the majority is from those who apparently do not have a sweet tooth. If this is you then perhaps you may wish to look for unsweetened alternatives.

Others have left negative feedback claiming that the shakes are too gritty, that it is 'like drinking sand', etc. I personally have not found this to be the case, but then again I have been in the habit of giving my shakes 10 mins or so to 'settle' after mixing, before I drink them. I am convinced that this results in a thicker, smoother shake than would otherwise be the case. However, for those who can only tolerate shakes with a perfectly smooth consistency, it may be wise to bypass this particular product, as no matter how vigorous the shaking or prolonged the settling time, some small particles will remain.

The total calories of a two scoop shake with 300ml skimmed milk (I like my shakes slightly thicker than the recommended 350mls) is still only 287kcals - based on the vanilla creme.

As I said above - I use Phd as a meal replacement (for lunch), as opposed to having e.g. sandwich/salad/soup - which by and large would be approximately the same calories. The advantage (aside from the nutritional values) which Phd has over soup or sandwiches, is that it is slow to metabolise. To my surprise, this one shake keeps me going until teatime - I have no hunger or lack of energy with it ... which I could not have said in respect of any of the generic 'meal replacement' shakes on the market.

In terms of preparation, when packing for lunch in the morning, it could not be easier. I just place 2 scoops of shake powder into a small tupperware container, grab my Phd shaker, and go.

At lunch, I pour 300ml of skimmed milk into the shaker, then add the shake powder (whatever you do ... don't add powder then milk, or it will stick in clumps to the bottom of your shaker). Screw on the lid tightly, shake very vigorously for around 30secs or so (good exercise) et voila, a delicious tasting shake is yours. No more worrying about what to make for a packed lunch in the morning.

In terms of weight loss ...well as I have said above, it is helping keep hunger pangs at bay, and I have lost a stone as a result. Unexpectedly, my skin is in significantly better condition - much more so than on previous diets, so better diet alone probably does not account for that.

According to my Withings scales, I have slightly more lean mass than the last time I was at my current weight, so perhaps Phd is helping with that, but even if not, I'm sold on its other benefits.

This former sceptic has been convinced, and will return to buy more.
55 comments|242 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 August 2013
this is a great product. It tastes lovely - especially if you mix it with milk. I put a bit of extra flaxseed in it and it's a nice breakfast. Tastes like a MacDonalds vanilla milkshake. I don't have a six pack yet, but I'm guessing that's because I think about going to the gym a lot more than I actually go.
11 comment|82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 April 2015
I liked the vanilla, strawberry okay, banana good but WOW this Cherry Bakewell outshines all of them and double WOW they all work big time and the weight drops off, wonderful product - take mine with water, delicious!!
on 25 January 2015
I am am on calorie counting weight loss system using my fitness pal started using slim fast or the supermarkets own brand, but they are high in sugar (but a good place to start to see if you can so the "Shake's"), moved on to this and it tastes great and the weight keeps dropping off will be buying again
on 15 March 2016
I am a huge fan of PhD Diet Whey but cannot justify the cost of buying it in a high street health food shop so when I saw it on Amazon I jumped at the opportunity! The choice of flavours is great, my favourite being the Chocolate Peanut, Vanilla Creme and Belgium Chocolate; I use it for a combination of weight management and as I do a lot of exercise it is great for lean muscle maintenance.
I would definitely recommend this product as an addition to a healthy and energetic lifestyle!
on 28 February 2016
I've been testing out different flavours of this protein and have come up with this list to help others choose. Not only is this brand really tasty and low cal, but its also so much cheaper to get it on Amazon then it is in stores (like Holland and Barrat).

So here is my list of favourite flavours so far: (NOTE- i drink all my protein, 2 scoops, with only water so that its as low calorie as possible so these results are based on that)
1- Chocolate Orange- It tastes so good, mixes really well, and tastes like dessert.
2- Strawberry- Sweet and like a normal strawberry milkshake (no surprises).
3- Belgium Choc- Not the strongest chocolate taste but still really nice.
4- Chocolate Peanut- Whoever made this confused peanuts with coffee, cause it tastes nothing like peanuts but still a really pleasant taste.
5- Vanilla- Really odd/artificial/unpleasant smell and taste. I can imagine it could be nice with almond milk or something but personally I didn't enjoy it much.
6- White Chocolate- Tastes like eggs or some kind of batter, its weird and not good.

I have yet to try Banana, Mint chocolate and Cherry Bakewell but once I have I'll post.
on 2 March 2016
First time I have tried PHD and I have to say it works. Been having it twice a day since christmas and lost 12lb. I haven't been really strict some weeks and still
managed to lose weight. Just bought banana and strawberry. The choc mint is lovely too but gave choc up for lent! Roll on April
on 23 February 2016
I have now been using this product for nearly 4 weeks and I'm amazed with the results I have lost 19lbs in this time and although have been very strict with my diet I also feel much more refreshed and healthy. I have recommended this product to the majority of my friends and co workers and will continue to do so! Thank you very much.
on 3 February 2016
I never lie in reviews and will never take payments to lie either so consider this as truth. I had to slow down the use of this shake as i was rapidly loosing fat on all areas of my body! The taste is something like a breakfast/oatmeal kind of shake (i have the vanilla) and becomes very thick if you use more than 1 scoop so one scoop is more than enough. The scoop is small so it will last you at least 2 months. Of course i did not sit on my A** and do go to the gym at least 4 days a week so keep in mind that exercising is mandatory for any type of body sculpturing. The only way to loose fat while sitting stil is through a disease and you don't want that. Vanilla taste could be stronger in my opinion but doesn't' really bother me. Use this shake if you are CUTTING do not use this shake if you are BULKING.