4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but not perfect
I was 17 in 1990; I remember Italia 90 with more fondness than any tournament before or since. I watched virtually every match and it came at a perfect time in my life. And I loved Pete Davies' book, All Played Out (although that now appears to have changed its name to One Night in Turin as well). This, then, is the film of the book.

And the archive footage...
Published on 9 Feb. 2011 by Chris Widgery

1.0 out of 5 stars Not enough real footage, too many shots of actors legs
I was a kid during during this World Cup, barely in my teens. And frankly I wasn't really that in to football before. But I did watch England play in this tournament. And I was hooked.

Published 17 months ago by Pri

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but not perfect, 9 Feb. 2011
Chris Widgery (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: One Night In Turin [DVD] [2010] (DVD)

And the archive footage is put together very well. But why the intrusive and (let's be honest, not very well done) reconstructions? The footage is supplemented by close up shots of feet kicking footballs, snappers taking pictures and, most bizarrely, a pervy reporter leering through a door at a footballer in bed with a page 3 lovely. It's just weird. Gary Oldman's commentary is also strangely laddish when it doesn't need to be. In places it was halfway towards Danny Dyers bosh bosh bosh.

And that is not to say that, overall, it's not highly enjoyable. Particularly if, like me, you are the right age to remember all of this. But the film makers made some really odd choices along the way

1.0 out of 5 stars Not enough real footage, too many shots of actors legs, 25 Aug. 2013
Pri (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

The drama twisted my stomach. The players played their hearts out, and they played damn good football too in the games that mattered. The manager, Bobby Robson, was as brilliant and as decent a bloke as I would like to be myself. He was a man I could look up to, and so were many of the players. These people really cared.

Both the players and the manager did the country proud, and made us feel good.

But it is what was achieved on the pitch which was great, and there is very little footage of actual play. I'd guess about ten minutes of England playing in total- could be wrong but that's what it felt like. There's more footage of actors feet reenacting England players than actual footage of the tournament. It's as though they only had a fiver to pay FIFA for footage and had to make up the rest with actors legs.

And this movie is quite political too for some reason, quite left wing in parts. And this makes no sense because England supporters are a mix of people who have their own individual political opinions.

There is far too much description of the football and not nearly enough actual football.

Very, very disappointing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Reconstructions ruin nostalgia trip, 1 Jun. 2010
This review is from: One Night In Turin [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
Ultimately I felt let down after seeing this. A lot of it is good, there is some great archive footage in addition to the stuff you'll see replayed every few years on TV. There are some good interviews from during Italia 90 with Bobby Robson and the players, some good footage of training sessions and players relaxing by the pool or playing golf. The scene is also quite nicely set against the backdrop of the so called hooligan problem which includes some enlightening interviews from the time with fans and police.

What ruined it for me mostly was that they felt the need to intersperse their footage with reconstructions of some of the incidents. As if the drama isn't compelling enough from watching action from the game we are subjected to watching close ups of actors legs as they mimic some of the action. It's almost like the director is trying to copy the 1986 FIFA film, Hero. Against Cameroon in the quarter final, Lineker is brought down for a penalty, but rather than see the actual footage the moment is poorly recreated by some actors! It's Baddiel and Skinner "Phoenix From the Flames" stuff. In the semi final, Chris Waddle hits a shot from near the halfway line which is tipped onto the bar by German keeper Bodo Illgner, at which point the action cuts to treat us to a replica ball hitting a replica post.

During the scenes of rioting on the streets it is felt that the viewer needs a close up reconstruction of a glass smashing on the ground and, just to be doubly sure we feel the aggression, there are some actors pretending to be hooligans waving their arms round and gesticulating. Oh and of course there are some actors pretending to be journalists rubbing their hands together in smoky rooms at their next evil plot. One even manages to spy at the door of a player (an actor) in bed with a woman we presume he shouldn't be.

If you can't quite grasp the tension that would have been felt watching the games at the time, then you will love watching some actors pretending to relive watching the action in a bar.

If only the reconstructed scenes weren't in it, it would be reasonable. The narration from Gary Oldman isn't bad but his script is pretty uninspiring.

There are some niggling errors in it too, the stuff that should have been easily spotted before it was released. For example the date of England's first game is given as 21st June which left me surprised the tournament started so late - until they gave the date of the second game as 16th June. Oh, and Lineker is spelt as "Linekar" on the back cover. Am I being picky? How was that not spotted?

"The definitive story of Italia 90"? Not a chance. It's not even the "inside story" it claims to be as there are only interviews from the time which were in the public domain. Don't expect any new insight. It's entertaining but only for the nostalgia; it could have been a lot better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top notch nostalgia!, 2 Jun. 2010
This review is from: One Night In Turin [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
I thoroughly enjoyed One Night in Turin. Sentimental in places, perhaps, but for a just turned 30 something who's first memories of a football tournament come from Italia '90, it brought back some great memories. I particularly enjoyed the behind the scenes excerpts, which give a fascinating insight into the culture of the squad and team management. Also to see Bobby Robson in his prime, full of fight and gusto, just like we all want to remember him, was great! The reconstructions may grate some, but they only truly form a very small part of an overall excellent documentary. In summary, Gazza's fallen brilliance, Robson's plucky pride and just a single kick away from the Word Cup Final. For me, this was the perfect way to get in the mood for South Africa!

4.0 out of 5 stars Italia 90, 7 Aug. 2014
This review is from: One Night In Turin [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
The 90 World Cup was special for me. It was the first World Cup that I watched live on TV. Of course the fact that England did well helped immensely. I found the tie in between the social issues and the England national team fascination. The documentary keys on the relationship between England's national team and the hooligans who followed them around. The music chosen for the soundtrack is fabulous and takes me right back to summer 1990. A few people have mentioned the new footage produced to add to the archived footage is weak. I didn't find it weak there was just to much of it. How many times do you need to see a glass broken. And some of the "new" football footage is annoying. There are a couple times when the new footage is edited in the middle of a save or a goal and it is plain that just seeing the full archival clip would be best. For example Lineker's goal that tied the Germany game. That was clutch and I wanted to see the full goal and celebration. Flawed but still really good stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best sporting docu so far, 9 May 2011
This review is from: One Night In Turin [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
1982 was the earliest world cup I can remember watching but 1990 was when the worlds greatest sporting tournament really hit home for me and its cultural meaning of the times. I had just left school, finished my last exam and the tournament started - I think I watched every match every team played during those 30+days of football.

I cheered, cried and celebrated with every kick of the ball from our boys in white - where it all reaches a head with that 'One night in Turin'. This documentary is quite possibly the best sporting documentary I've ever seen - following England team, key players and Bobby Robson, through the pre-tournament, their build-up, each match too their return home - it used excellent social references of music of the year (Happy Mondays and The Farm to name but two), archive footage of games, interviews, press clippings, news reports, focusing not just on the football matches of England but the treatment of the fans whom were still looked unfairly upon during this era as trouble with a capital T.

This DVD brings all these elements to the forefront to amazing effect - bringing back memories and emotions - it perfectly recreates the feeling, the era, the cultural surroundings and problems faced of 1990 England and the sport which is our favourite past-time. I cant wait for 'From the Ashes' from the same director following the famous 1981 series. Simply superb work from director James Erskine - if you ever get to read this I hope you do a Euro 1996 documentary film as well - where football came home, Britpop was at his height and El Tel nearly led a Gazza inspired England on one final crusade!

PS: Rest in peace Sir Bobby Robson - a true gentleman and such an under rated national manager.

4.0 out of 5 stars Football, the rebirth of a nation, and a tearjerking, historical drama - something for everyone, 13 Jun. 2010
Fraser the Frank Fish "paul m" (Benfleet) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: One Night In Turin [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
One Night in Turin covers the weeks leading up to Italia 90 and the tournament itself as it crescendoes to the Night in Turin which has now been etched into national folklore.

For 90% of the male population between 35 & 40 years old the memory will be of one of the most emotional experiences of their lives, up there with the birth of their children and their wedding days. This was our World Cup, this was football before it became the bloated gravy train of today, this was us against the world.

The film itself is a documentary, released in conjunction with and supposed based on the re-release of Pete Davies' All Played, now retitled as One Night in Turin. As a documentary it is okay, although I was disappointed to find that a World Cup Video Diary, which I think was also done by Pete Davies, did not feature. This diary captured the atmosphere in the campsites and the streets, the excitement and the fear, where as this film can be rather dry.

On the plus side, the subject matter cannot help but emotionally impact on anyone who watched Italia 90, and there is a bleak if sadly realistic picture painted of England in 1990, with Thatcher and her lapdog, Moynihan, railling at football supporters, the last great Church of the Unwashed, those who believed in society and not just the individual.

On the downside, a film could never compete which Davies' book, an analysis of how a nation redefined its identity through football, faced down its braying naysayers in government and in the press, and emerged from the yoke of Thatcherism. Indeed, the original title of All Played Out refers to a comparison between the England team and the country, and indeed the film does reflect this by looking at the Poll Tax riots and the disconnect of the political elite from the people.

Gary Oldman as narrator can be a bit irritating, but on the bright side it isn't Ray Winstone, and the use of actors feet for close ups and players feet seems a bit cliched and unnecessary. However, the soundtrack is pulsating with music of the era and surprisingly Nessun Dorma doesn't really feature until the climatic penalty kick - I'm in two minds as to whether this should have been used more as it still brings a tear to the eye and lump to the throat.

Also, initially I wasn't sure whether the makers would have been better just to end in silence at the end of Nessun Dorma following England's exit rather than go on to the final between Germany and Argentina, and then England's homecoming, although in retrospect I guess the homecoming was to show how football galvanised the people and restored the pride of nation that had been eroded throughout the 80s.

Overall this is a good documentary, looking at a turning point not only in sport but in the English national identity - you'll not see many St George's crosses in the crowd here, that came later as a result, but the reawakening of Englishness as distinct from Britishness is a lasting legacy of England's Italian odyssey at the last great World Cup.

5.0 out of 5 stars Revives great memories..........., 21 Jun. 2010
A. Thorpe "crossan8" (Cheadle Cheshire.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Night In Turin [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
I thought that it was an excellent documentary,yes there was the odd bit of reenactment but it did not detract from the film,it was a well balanced critique of an actual event,I could watch it again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very moving, great soundtrack!, 10 Jun. 2010
This review is from: One Night In Turin [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
I'll be honest, I'm not exactly a massive football fan, but i love nostalgia and I found the documentary film "One Night in Turin" very moving in its portrayal of the 1990 world cup. You could certainly feel the tension and emotion around that time, not just with the football players and Bobby Robson, but also socially, let's not forget how difficult it was for a lot of people around that time, hence the poll tax riots! Was also great to reminisce with the film musically, as had some massive hits of the time, such as Stone Roses, The Happy Monday's etc. It also made me fall back in love with "Gazza", I had quite forgotton what a happy, funny and quite innocent kid he was back then, and with the Nessun Dorma pounding in my ears, i am sorry to say i welled up!

5.0 out of 5 stars One Night Turin - the definitive story of Italia '90, 2 Jun. 2010
Gary (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Night In Turin [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
One Night In Turin is a `must-watch' as it pairs iconic football footage that hasn't been seen before with sympathetic reconstructions, enabling the viewer to enjoy the whole of Italia '90 all over again.

Not only in One Night In Turin a documentary for football fans, focus being on Sir Bobby Robson and Gazza, it is also a documentary for anyone who remembers the hype and controversy that accompanied football in the 90s and also for anyone who has an interest in what England went through on and off the football pitch.

Narrated by the unmistakable (and enviable) voice of Gary Oldman, One Night In Turin rekindles all the emotions, both good and bad, ever felt about football. The pride at success and the shame at the underhanded tactics both in football and politics.

It was truly enlightening to see the archived footage from off the pitch and shows how one group of men were, for a while at least, the centre of the country's interest and how football should be played, supported and admired.

A truly impressive documentary about a subject that you think you know everything about until a piece of work like this comes a long and you realise there is still so much more to see!

A definite 5/5 and strongly recommended - will undoubtedly get you in that 'World Cup mood'!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

One Night In Turin [DVD] [2010]
One Night In Turin [DVD] [2010] by James Erskine (DVD - 2010)