4.0 out of 5 stars Nail biting stuff
"No Second Chance" is the warning on the ransom note Dr Marc Seidman was left following the shooting at his home, that left him injured, his wife dead and his daughter kidnapped. So after the ransom 'exchange' is messed up, and the killer/kidnapper gets away, these words echo in Dr Seidmans mind. However his whole life now revolves around finding his baby daughter...
Published on 17 Feb. 2004 by Philip Roberts

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as The Woods
Published on 6 Jun. 2010 by daisyrock

‹ Previous | 1 2 321 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely facinating, 16 Feb. 2004
This review is from: No Second Chance (Paperback)
It was my first time reading a book by this author, and I must say I am hooked, after reading this book, I went out and got two of his other books. I love the way he holds your attention, page after page and you could never guess the ending till you got there. A great sense of humour he has too. I found myself laughing out loud on a crowded bus. Five stars is too little. Definately my choice for Novel of the year. Way to go.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as The Woods, 6 Jun. 2010
This review is from: No Second Chance (Paperback)
I'd like to give this a 3 and a 1/2 really, as 3 seems a bit mean. It is a very good, page-turny thriller, packed with real clues and red herrings and a twisty turner plot. Its downfall is that I read it straight after The Woods by the same author which is far superior to this. No Second Chance did its job in that it kept me hooked and I couldn't really put it to one side for long without picking it up again, but it didn't have that satisfyingly neat, dovetailed ending that The Woods has and I didn't find the characters quite so engaging either. At the end of this one, I found myself slightly pulling holes in the plot. Would X a character really have done that particlar thing? Would the police really not have spotted that? That kind of thing. Good, but not the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars No Second Chance - Brilliant, 25 Feb. 2004
This review is from: No Second Chance (Paperback)
This book was absolutley brilliant, i couldn't put it down. I read it all within a day and a half. This story has so many plots and twists that it will keep you hanging on until the very end. This is the first book i've read by Harlan Coben and if any of his other books are as good as this one i will be reading many more.

4.0 out of 5 stars First Coben Book..., 5 Jan. 2004
This review is from: No Second Chance (Paperback)
I was introduced to Coben by a friend, who recommended i read any available. So i bought this one and it's my first Harlan Coben book.
It is a fantastic book and well laid out. I just wanted Dr Seidman to find his daughter. The way Coben lays out his characters throughout the book is astounding. The reader is learning more about each character. Every scene has been weel thought out and makes the reader feel like he is in 'situ'.
A truly amazing and entertaining novel, i recommend it to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldnt wait to turn the pages, 6 April 2004
This review is from: No Second Chance (Paperback)
Fantastic - this book is fantastic, the characters are truly believeable and I loved the way in which the main character narrated the story to the reader. It really felt as you were there with him on his journey to find the truth.
From the very start you are hooked and the outcome .... well you'd have to read it and see, although a complex storyline it was fairly easy reading and the different characters were introduced at just the right times - I'd love to see this story on TV. Edge of the seat stuff.
I have never read anything from this Author prior to this but I will certainly be looking for him again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!!, 22 Feb. 2004
This review is from: No Second Chance (Paperback)
What a brilliant book. First time I have read this author. I will now be searching Amazon for his other books. I am not a big reader but I couldn't put this book down. It grabs you right from page 1. Excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast moving, engaging and accessible, 29 Mar. 2004
This review is from: No Second Chance (Paperback)
Coben uses a punchy prose that sets the pace, although the plot is always one step ahead. He achieves a powerful blend of Thriller and Noire by punctuating his style with casual and occasionally voyeuristic violence. The plot twists but always stacks up - front to back and back to front. Coben compromises slightly on character development to achieve a stunning sense of momentum and a rewarding storyline depth, but he manages to ensure that all the players are engaging and meaningful.
A great weekend read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing for a Harlan Coben, 20 Jun. 2011
Ed Taylor (Lancashire England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No Second Chance (Paperback)
I have read a lot of Harlan Coben and this is the first time I have been disappointed with his work. The plot is good and the beginning explosive and I settled down to enjoy the twists and turns you usually get from Coben. The plot drifts on and then it feels as though his publisher was pushing for copy because instead of building his characters into the storyline as he is usually so adept at doing he introduces characters who make a fleeting appearance, carry out one act and disappear without explanation. The usual character entwining into the plot is missing and with that goes the coherance. Even the ending is weak and unworthy of Coben. Everyone is entitled to one bad novel - lets hope this is his and he gets back on track.

4.0 out of 5 stars A GREAT READ FOR ALL!, 6 Oct. 2014
This review is from: No Second Chance (Paperback)
No Second Chance by New York Times bestselling author Harlan Coben is a gut-wrenching story with a gripping narrative. Marc Seidman, a plastic surgeon, was standing in the kitchen of his home when an unseen assailant shot him. Twelve days later he wakes up in a hospital only to discover his wife, Monica, has been shot dead and his six-month-old daughter, Tara, kidnapped. No Second Chance, in short, is a period of 18 months in the life of the surgeon during the course of which he sets out to save his infant daughter from the clutches of the kidnappers.

Marc faces the biggest test of his life when the kidnappers demanded a ransom of $2 million, threatening that there will be "no second chance" if he informs anyone. On the other hand, there are the cops, totally clueless and fumbling, only to end up suspecting Marc of the double crime.

After a botched ransom payment, everyone believes that Tara is dead. But not Marc! Is she still alive? If so, is he able to hunt down the kidnappers and rescue his daughter?

No Second Chance is one of the best thrillers from the pen of Harlan Coben. It's amazing how Coben manages to churn out such an engrossing thriller one after another. The cast of characters is also interesting - the lawyer, the old girlfriend, the cops, the man who assisted Marc, his father-in-law, and the villains.

Masterfully weaving an explosive story of desperation and determination, helplessness and hope, indecision and decisive action, Cohen's juggling narrative in first and third person forcefully carry the story through the end.

No Second Chance is a great read and a sure treat for all fans of Harlan Coben!

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok....not his best though!, 12 Aug. 2013
col2910 (Bedfordshire,UK) - See all my reviews
Synopsis/blurb....
No Second Chance is yet another of Harlan Coben's terrifying explorations of the worst of fears--Marc Seidman wakes in hospital after narrowly surviving a shooting in which his wife died and their baby daughter went missing. The handover of a ransom from his rich in-laws goes wrong and Seidman realises that he is not only without wife and daughter--and the sister who may have been an accomplice--but he is also the principal suspect. The reader knows even more than Seidman just how much jeopardy he is in--Coben does a brilliantly disturbing job of introducing us to a pair of psychotics who are in charge of the ransom plot and who plan to take Seidman and his in-laws for another ride into insecurity and hell. Marc turns to the one person he thinks can help him--the ex-girlfriend who still has a place in his heart and used to be a senior Federal agent. The problem is that Rachel comes with baggage, and enemies, all of her own...
Coben is one of the crime writers I enjoy who is probably more mainstream than some of the authors I read. Chances are that after 24 or 25 books, you've happened on at least of couple of his titles when browsing the crime section of your local bookshop. He's written a series of 10 books featuring Myron Bolitar that has now digressed into a series of 2 so far, starring Myron's nephew, Mickey. All of his other books are standalones, including this 2003 effort, No Second Chance.
Over the past year, I have maybe read 4 or 5 Coben's as he is an author that my wife enjoys. This time around I grabbed this from her as she was struggling a bit to muddle through it. It's been on the go for a couple of months, picked-up, put down, read a chapter, leave it for a week. When the reading is that spasmodic and interrupted, it's easy to lose the thread and any interest you may have in the tale barely registers on the barometer.
Well having gained possession, I read about 200 pages on the first day, 100-odd on the second and the last 90 on the third, avoiding the pitfall that my wife had fallen into.
Verdict....... fast, interesting, enjoyable, likeable characters - including one of the rogues of the piece, a story that whilst stretching the bounds of believability didn't transgress too far into the realms of fantasy to make me hit the switch to the off button. Not the best of his I have read, but not the worst either. It was a decent enough filler, that won't probably remain long in the memory but served a purpose until hopefully the next great read, happens along. Everything was kind of wrapped up nice and neatly at the end, which ironically irritates me just a little bit. If only life turned out like a Harlan Coben book, we'd all probably sleep a lot better in our beds at night, most of the time at least.
3 from 5
My/our copy was second hand and I'm unsure where or when I acquired it, not too recently that's for sure.

‹ Previous | 1 2 321 | Next ›