Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

VINE VOICEon 14 August 2012
This my first SDS drill so I am unable to compare it to others, but as an amateur getting their hands on one of these for the first time I am very impressed. My drill usage is mainly drilling wood and metal, with the occasional hole or two in concrete, but I have a project that required cutting 200 or more holes in paving slabs of thicknesses from 1" to 3" (sorry I still work in imperial) and from concrete to stone, I know my collection of other drills would not cope (I know that because I burnt out an old but expensive cable Bosch drill trying to drill a single piece of thick stone).

The DeWalt drill made holes and chiseled away at the surfaces as though they were wood.

As the SDS type chuck did not take non-SDS dills I got a chuck with an SDS bit on from Amazon to fit so I could use my very large collection of non SDS drills as well. By professional terms I am a light user, but by amateur terms I use my tools very heavily. I have only had the DeWalt a few months now, but it has had several months very heavy usage by amater terms, and it hardy looks used.

I am very impressed.
on 18 December 2013
I bought this combi drill 14 months ago. Over the last 12 months I have used both the drill and the chisel function and I it has saved a great deal of time and effort. All the work I have done is DIY, chiselling cut outs for ducting and scoring wall scoring for stone cladding, as well as the occasional hole in brick and concrete.
Never having used or known what an sds drill did I was greatly impressed with the adversity of the product. The only problem was the grease that splattered out during the early days.

Then a month ago started having problems. The force of the chisel action started to get difficult to engage and the drill section started to run, quite badly, out of true. I had noticed the drills were running slightly out of true some time ago, but I thought it was the drill. NO.
The chisel action has now stopped working altogether, it makes the sound of engagement, but there is no chisel action. I have had to send the drill back to DeWalt.

IT IS AN EXCELLENT PRODUCT FOR THE MONEY, but it is not suitable for any HARD WORK. For general DIY it will probably last a life time.
on 2 September 2012
I'm doing a major renovation job on our house and also sticking an extension on the side at the same time. I needed an SDS drill, mainly for its chiselling capabilities, but also for some major drilling jobs. This drill has been fantastic. It's survived chopping out old plaster that produced so much dust it clogged up my face mask. It was spitting out dust for ages after, but it didn't fail. Its chiselling ability is impressive for what is only 650 watts. I've chiselled lots of concrete and it hasn't missed a beat. Overall this is an excellent piece of kit, especially for the bargain price. I'm well impressed and would recommend it to anyone.
on 20 August 2013
I'm actually revising my original positive review as I'm now getting a little fed up with this powertool.

I am a trade user and bought this for the rotation stop hammer action, so I could use the light chiseling feature to cut wall chases.

After a relatively little amount of use over a year, it packed in and left me with rotate only.

I contacted DeWalt and they fixed it free outside of warranty as a gesture of goodwill, which is excellent.....

But after about a week, the rotation stop (again, very little use) now fails to hold the chisel in one place. The chisel is free to turn during hammering, making it hard to cut a straight chase.

I will say it blasts through normal drilling jobs and in that respect takes some beating.

Sorry guys, but despite the good aftersales, I certainly wouldn't buy another and my next drill will be a Bosch, despite the higher outlay.
on 19 April 2014
Well, I've had it a year now and it hasn't broken. However, as many have said it is underpowered. I needed to to chisel out a channel in concrete recently and it's shortcomings became apparent. I ended up borrowing a friend's Bosch GBH2-26DRE which is in the same ball park, price wise (around £120 inc VAT). It was twice as powerful. Moreover, his drill was 7 years old and "Had been worked hard every day." My advice is to buy the Bosch, not this. I'm not exactly gutted, but if this breaks, I will be getting the Bosch, not DeWalt.
on 13 December 2013
My experience may have been unusual but the chuck would not retain the drill bits, they simply fell out, I tried several bits from different manufacturers.
on 16 December 2014
I decide to buy a drill to when we almost finish our house renovation, and now I regret that. I should get it when we started almost 2 years ago. The drill is absolutely brilliant. It's light and power full. It's goes through concrete walls with out any problems.
One of the best things is that you don't get that "first jump" when you try to start drilling a hole the whole drill stays stable.
I definitely will recomended drill for all DIY jobs. When you planning to spend for a drill 50 £ or a little bit more, I can tell you one thing add that 40£ and that will make live much, much easier.
on 7 March 2013
I'm just a DIYer, so this is from the perspective of a non-professional. This is also my first SDS drill, so can't compare to any others out there.

I was really impressed right from the start with it. Bought some SDS drill bits for cutting brickwork as well as a set of chisels.

Have now used it to chase in cables and chain drill up several walls, along with lighter use.

Smashes through brick with the drill, I think I drilled into a lintel (it was above a window) but I couldn't tell as it went in as if it were normal brick. It does take a little pressure for the hammer action to start, before that it just spins, but then it clunks down a few mm as if it were engaging and then boom, the hole is done...

When using the chisel the drill did get very hot, too hot to touch, and also leaked a bit of grease from inside. This wasn't great as I put it down on the carpet not realising. Once I realised and cleaned the drill up it was fine.

All in all a very fine piece of kit. Very impressed with it.
on 7 August 2012
Good product,value for money,pleased with it's performance,no problem with drilling or punching a hole in the brick.Long cord handy to carry the item further from power point.
on 25 October 2014
Superb drill. I've now had two. Got through an entire house renovation with the first one doing every job conceivable. It burnt out on the second house renovation while drilling through a solid stone wall to create a soil pipe fitting. I immediately bought a second I was so happy with its performance. If you are a builder I'm sure this is too light weight but for a diyer it is great. Not too heavy but plenty of power. Typical default excellence.