5.0 out of 5 stars Whet your appetite for sharp knives
There are so many gadgets for putting sharp edge on kitchen knives these days that it's often hard to pick a good one. In my experience, most of the "easy to use" approaches are easy because they don't do a very good job. When it comes down to it, if you want a really decent edge on a knife you should be using a whetstone.

This one is a reasonable choice, being...
Published on 29 Jun 2011 by LegendaryMrDude

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice quality stone, but technique is key
Published 6 months ago by D barton

5.0 out of 5 stars Whet your appetite for sharp knives, 29 Jun 2011
LegendaryMrDude (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Kitchen Craft Master Class Combination Sharpening Stone (Kitchen & Home)

This one is a reasonable choice, being very competitively priced, of a decent enough size to cope with an 8" cooks knife and offering two levels of coarseness to first get an edge and then really hone it sharp.

It's supplied with a plastic/rubber "foot" to stop it from slipping which is very useful as you've got to soak it in water for a few minutes before you use it. Simply hold it on the bottom of a basin full of water and once the bubbles have stopped, you're good to go. It's the slurry of water, grit and metal that gives a whetstone it's sharpening action so a good soak is essential. This does mean that it's a bit messier and more time consuming than other methods but it's worth it.

Sure there are coarser/finer/more expensive whetstones available and if you've got REALLY expensive knives you might benefit from them but if you've got a set of reasonable kitchen knives then this will do a good job of sharpening them. My "supermarkets own premium knives" sharpened up a treat using this stone and the edge was good enough that they stay sharp with a few occasional strokes along a steel so I leave the whetstone and it's wet, slushy paste for periodic reinstatement of the edge.

At this price, I can't think of anything I could usefully improve - for that it gets 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 8 Aug 2010
I bought this product because I didn't want to spend 50 on a more expensive stone, this stone is good value and you get what you pay for. You can acheive a razor sharp edge if your technique is good. If you are looking for a really polished finish you are not going to get it with a 1000 grit, you will need a 3000 or higher I would guess.

Whether this product lasts 5 years + remains to be seen. At this price if it only lasts 5 I will be happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars What more could you want?, 4 Nov 2011
Simply put it's a good sized Whetstone, two useful grit rating (400/1000), a useful plastic base and isn't over priced like some. Perfect :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect whetstone for the Nakiri knife I purchased., 2 July 2013
To be honest, along with some excitement, I was a little awed by the knife I bought and anxious about how I would fair sharpening it.
I was looking at Japanese dual whetstones, 1000/6000 grit and 3000/8000 grit, as an ideal honing package but could not pull the trigger because of the price.

I ended up buying a dual carborundum stone for 2 or 3 pounds; to practice my technique. An old yellow handled dinner knife ended up becoming scarily sharp during a long session where I basically ground the knife into a blade.

With this experience in hand I started looking at whetstones again. I'd seen this one before but put it to one side due to the grit range. I was looking at a Japanese dual whetstone ,1000/3000 grit, for around 35; The cheapest I found thus far. I was weighing buying it when I looked again at this one and reread the reviews.

Along with the price this tipped me into taking a chance on The Master Class stone.

I got it and soaked it and then re-honed the dinner knife as a test. Fantastic. It didn't take me long to get the feel and rhythm of it. The size of the stone is great along with the simple rubber foot. When I came to sharpen the Nakiri I was pleasantly surprised to find that the larger blade seemed to fit the stone really well and if anything was easier to sharpen that my practice knife.

I'm assuming the stone is made of ceramic or is some kind of carborundum and will last a very long time. All in all I'm very please with the purchase and although I can't review the product in comparison to other stones, given my experience, I'd be happy to recommend this stone to any one. Especially anyone taking their first dip into the world of professionally sharp metal.
B;~)

4.0 out of 5 stars Value for money - a great first whetstone, 14 Sep 2011
The price of this whetstone makes it ideal if it is your first stone.

As anyone who has been honing with such stones for a long time will tell you, technique is FAR more important than the quality of your stone... Indeed, a quick look on Youtube will show you experts honing knives to razor-sharpness on the edges of clay cups, fine grit sandpaper or even concrete blocks. Spending a lot of money on a top quality honing stone (or even an expensive array of stones) for a beginner, then, is going to be pointless.

Many beginners are of the mindset that an expensive stone(s) will make it easier to learn on, but this is just not true. A novice can actually damage a stone with prolonged poor technique, so you are better off starting with a cheaper stone.

Get your honing skills up to par on a stone like this, THEN decide if you need or want a top of the range (and more expensive) stone or set of stones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best, 18 Feb 2013
Mr. Shane Smith (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This is one of the best buys, my knives (as with all) loose their edge after some use. I did use two guys who sharpened them but the job was average. I spoke with a chef friend and he recommended this whet stone.

You want sharp knives, buy this. It's as simple as that!

5.0 out of 5 stars A change in life style perhaps..., 16 May 2014
This isn't about sharpening your knives. This is about the ultimate chill. This is real beer. Possibly Morris Dancing. It's all about yin and yan, even finding hom, finding your inner most what ever it is in there. You cannot hurry the process, outside in the garden, preferably under the sun. Here in the UK the green wheelie bin is the correct height and the lid with all gunk attached provides an ideal surface for the ridiculed rubber mat to grip. It does work. Suitably wetted, you begin. Transfixed in a hopeless stare, dribbling. I have viewed all the clips on youtube so I am already an expert. The action is all yours to acquire, the angle is subjective and just happens by itself. You must not hurry but slowly drift into a state of hypnotism, back and forth up and down. I once got into a real brown study that the stone turned pink, with blood from my finger tip! I couldn't feel it happening, the stone slowly took away a tiny amount of skin, my fault.
My finger too close to the grit, but that's how it gets you, you become one with your stone!

All I wanted was a sharp knife, but now my quest has gone beyond. I had never heard of 'scary sharp' until I read the reviews on here. Now I understand. You can hear every stoke doing it's job, It's amazing. The rough grit (pink) produces an edge, the fine grit takes it into the silly range of sharpness, you start to carve shapes out of newspaper! I have a horrible cyst on my chest which I'm sure my knife would carve out without me feeling a thing. It is so addictive, I have spent ages honing just one knife. Even cheapo knives yield to the relentless to'ing and fro'ing
If you find it slipping while in the rubber cradle, take it out and place on a wet kitchen paper or dishcloth, better still, place a wooden chopping board on a wet dishcloth onto of the work top, then on top of that a wet cloth then the stone.
You simply must buy one. No regrets at all.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice quality stone, but technique is key, 9 Feb 2014
The stone is of nice quality and grain however as I found technique is key when using sharpening stones of this type. After some time and effort and searching the internet for technique videos I managed to get a sharp edge on my camping knife blade. The rubber seal base is a little problematic in that it can be difficult to keep the stone still.. The stone is a little large to be portable enough to take with you on a mobile hiking/camping trip.
Probably not the stone to use if you have a very blunt damaged edge. I will keep practicing periodically (but I personally now prefer to take my knife to my local friendly butcher for sharpening) but as you do require a certain level of skill to use this product and potentially a lot of time I have rated the product 3 stars, however I am sure if you had the necessary 'ancient' skills in blade preparation I am sure that this stone could be a fully functioning part of your home kit.

4.0 out of 5 stars driveme, 4 Oct 2012
very good sharpening stone have looked for a long time to find a wetstone, just remember to keep the angle of the knife for a realy good edge.I have been sharpening tools for a very long time.and found this stone very good for othe tools as wells

5.0 out of 5 stars "On a knife edge", 13 Nov 2011
Gianfranco Spolverato (Brighouse, England.) - See all my reviews
I have thrashed about aimlessly over several years buying ineffectual mass market knife sharpeners. My quest to achieve a good sharp safe knife for the kitchen is over.
Safe to use, brilliant results. No kitchen should be without one.[ASIN:B003ASDAGU Master Class Sharpening Stone / Dual Whetstone, 18cm / 7"]