4.0 out of 5 stars Even as a 5 star disregard and move on at this price
So I really wanted to find a cheaper and alternative solution to shaver cleaning fluid as they are dam expensive in the long run. Seemingly this is as good as the only one out there and while I actually have never bought these I did consider until I made some calculations (jump to summary if you like the short version).

So let's take the original 3x pack...
Published on 19 Mar 2012 by Just another user

2.0 out of 5 stars Hassle....
Does a good job of cleaning, however I'm not sure the hassle of cleaning out the old cartridge is worth it.

Published on 7 May 2011 by A R N

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Even as a 5 star disregard and move on at this price, 19 Mar 2012
This review is from: Shavercleaner Refill Fluid for cleaning cartridges | 1000ml (Personal Care)

So let's take the original 3x pack cartridges 170ml each:
Braun CCR3 Clean & Renew Refill Cartridges - 3-Pack

Total of £11.79 at £3.93 per unit of 170ml with free shipping
Total of £10.61 at £3.54 per unit of 170ml (on subscription cycle) with free shipping

Then let's take the 1000ml alternative (1000/170ml = 5.88 equal refills):

Total of £21.95 (including £5 shipping) at £3.73 per until of 170ml (21.95/5.88) all inclusive

So yes they are slightly cheaper than the plain 3 pack price, but more expensive than then subscription price. Then we need to consider the subjective views of not as good smell (which does not matter in the end too much) and the more critical hassle with cleaning and refilling.

So to sumarize the numbers:

1. £3.54 per cartridge - 3-pack 170ml original (subscription)
2. £3.73 per cartridge - Alternative cleaning fluid 1000ml
3. £3.93 per cartridge - 3-pack 170ml original (one off)

While the prices might fluctuate and even if this was a 5star product, it does not really matter due to
the way too high price. Even for £0.20 more I'd prefer to not have the hassle.

Best regards,
Just Another User

Note: The 2x 1000ml pack would come in at £36.95 total, equals 11.76 units of 170ml, which is £3.14 and at least some savings to talk about for the extra hassle. So if you do want to save at least by the 2x pack.

2.0 out of 5 stars Hassle...., 7 May 2011
A R N (Northumberland United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

The cartridge needs to be cleaned which is time consuming and not as straight forward as it sounds. Due to it's chambered design, even when rinsed out under running water, makes it almost impossible to remove all the hair/stubble so you end up having to add the cleaning solution to a dirty cartridge. Also, the smell is not as pleasant as the original lemon scent, to me it's a cross between IPA and soap.

Overall, even though it seems to clean well, I wouldn't purchase again.

1.0 out of 5 stars DIY, 7 Aug 2013
A. D. Archer - See all my reviews
I looked at this but then realized it is far cheaper and just as easy to make your own. The fluid is only denatured alcohol which you can buy cheaply plus a few drops of liquid soap, I also add a few drops of light machine oil to lubricate the blades and if you want it to smell like the original add a little lemon essence (oil NOT lemon juice) which you can buy anywhere spa stuff is sold. I reckon my refills cost 20% of the normal cost, have been doing it for some time quite successfully without any problems with my razor.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good to re-use expensive manufacturer's plastic - but why so expensive?, 28 Oct 2012
I like my Braun 7 series shaver, and I think the combined cleaning/charging station is quite useful. However, the price of the consumables for cleaning is mind boggling, and why can't you simply refill the plastic tank with the alcohol based cleaning solution? So, I was very pleased when I saw the Shavercleaner Refill Fluid, at least you can simply drain the old fluid out of the plastic tank, rinse in clean water, and add new fluid. It is a very simple process, but you still pay a lot of money for a simple alcohol solution and a bit of perfume - why do I know this? I am a professional bioscientist and have bought such solvents from chemical companies for more than 30 years, at this price for a litre of diluted alcohol you are being ripped off! It's a nice idea but lets get real on pricing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Shaver cleaner examined, 10 Jun 2011
I chose this product because of difficulty in obtaining the refill cartridges for my 8585 Braun shaver. Amazon does offer these but the fluid is much better value and greener, since you re-use the same cartridge and one bottle goes a long way. This would have justified a 5 star rating except that the smell/perfume is different and rather off-putting, whereas the original cartidges had a very pleasant smell.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pungent and unpleasant, 19 Nov 2011
This product does the job OK, and cleaning out the old cartridges is really not a problem. The issue is that the fluid stinks, especially just after the cleaning cycle. In my view this makes the product unusable. I will return to the Braun original cartridges now........

2.0 out of 5 stars Not if you are in a hurry, 22 Feb 2013
M. Flannelly - See all my reviews
It took 6 weeks before it finally arrived from Germany (normally a good thing). All communication arrived in German and I unfortunately don't speak it.

5.0 out of 5 stars ....Excellent!!, 27 April 2011
Had this product for a while and only recently used it. Have to say this will save me so much money as an alternative to buying the usual indivudial self contained units of fluid. Instead when my unit ran out yesterday i simply emptied it and flushed through to rinse then added the new liquid from the 1l container. Simples!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Braun shaver fluid refill, 2 Jun 2011
M. Farmer (Cheltenham UK) - See all my reviews
Product looks and smells just like the Braun fluid in their cartridges, but a whole lot cheaper, even taking into account the high postage costs.Shavercleaner Refill Fluid for cleaning cartridges | 1000ml Cleaning out the cartridge is a bit tricky if the old fluid is dirty, but that's the only disadvantage.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too expensive, 14 Dec 2014
70s "arrow" (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
As I wrote in a comment, this product is basically methylated spirits with an addition of perfume. Methyl alcohol has the antiseptic qualities of this product and is none corrosive. OK it is a funny purple colour, and has an intriguing smell, but just take a peek at the price you can get it for in B&Q etc. I used it in my Braun wash station. No warranty from me though, so if you dont like it or it doesn't work for you dont blame me

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›