on 19 November 2011
This product was delivered within 24 hours and performs really well. The price was astonishingly reasonable for a fast 1200dpi network laser printer with a duplex printing capability. Setting up was a breeze on Mac OS X Tiger or Leopard. But to achieve the price there have been some compromises: the display is extremely basic (though adequate for normal use), and the toner cartridge provided has a very limited capacity of around 1000 pages compared with 4000 or so for the recommended HP part number. The surprise was that, though the toner cartridge is supplied with the machine by HP, when setting up the machine using the web browser interface, it was not recognised as an authorised HP component in the printer configuration pages. Duplex printing works well and is easily set up from the Layout option in the Mac OS X print dialog box. Again, no doubt in order to build the device to the price, the machine feels flimsier than one might expect of an HP product, but is plenty robust enough for home/home office use. Postscript, or a Postscript emulator would be an unrealistic expectation at this price point, but I have experienced no difficulty in printing InDesign and other graphic documents from the Mac. Duplex printing is a real bonus when printing long documents. I would have no hesitation in recommending this printer to anyone who finds inkjet printing too expensive, or needs to produce professional-looking black and white documents on a wide range of paper or card stock.
on 9 July 2011
Connected this to the network as I didn't have a USB cable and it doesn't come with one (it doesn't come with a network cable either, but I had one spare). Prefer printers connected to the network anyway as its easy to share them between machines.

Setup a new network printer under Ubuntu (10.04), it didn't find the printer driver and the HP 1606DN wasn't on the list and there where no PPD drivers on the CD supplied. First attempt at selecting a similar model failed with a load of characters on the first line of printout, so selected "Generic PCL 6/PCL XL Printer - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.5 Simplified" and got a Ubuntu test page printout working fine, went into printer options and enabled long edge 2-sided printing and was able to printout a 2 page document from OpenOffice which used both sides of the printout.

Happy so far, but have only been using this for a few hours so can't comment on long term printer usage.
on 9 November 2010
We find this an excellent Printer.
It is fast and convenient.
It is easy to set up as a Network Printer, as the Driver is downloaded from the Printer itself. Simply 'point' the Browser to the given IP address, and installation takes place.
on 19 October 2011
After much research and review reading I settled on their HP 1606dn. I run an iMac, so was interested to find it was easy to install and get running. I chose not to get a built-in wireless laser printer given how many people seemed to struggle connecting. I do however connect this wirelessly but using Apple's own Airport Extreme. I have that running as a slave to my BtHomehub router, and it seems to be up to the task and took no effort what so ever to connect.

The only problem I have had is printing from another computer. I used my laptop last night and was able to join it wirelessly, but sometimes the printer goes to sleep and doesn't appear 'in view' for the laptop to see. This doesn't appear to be an issue when printing from the desktop iMac, that managed to wake it up straight away and print in seconds. the problem with the laptop was solved by turning the printer on and off using the front button. At which point the lap top seemed to spot it and print away fine.

Seems perfectly acceptable for my home/student usage, printing back to back Duplex, quickly and efficiently.

All in all, I am very happy with the purchase and would recommend it to a similar user.
on 2 February 2011
So far so good, the printer has performed all tasks asked of it including 50 sheet printing back to back. If black and white volume printing is what your after it suits.
on 29 October 2011
I bough this printer primarily because of its duplex and network function, and it hasn't let me down since.

The printer has a great value itself, and the toner replacements are cheap enough, making this a value for money package. If you include duplex printing and network support, its a thumps up for almost every situation.

One downside is, perhaps, that on duplex printing the speed is much much lower.

Excellent little printer!
on 2 August 2013
I had being baulking for a long time at the cost of inkjet cartridges and thought that supplementing my HP Inkjet with a LaserJet for heavy duty B&W printing tasks was long overdue. After hours on Amazon I plumped for this model and do not regret it for a moment. Outstanding features are:
- SPEED - it is SO fast, hit print and lean across and lift a duplex page off the printer.
- PRINT QUALITY - text quality is perfect down to 4pt.
- ECONOMY - on track to get over 1,200 pages with the supplied toner cartridge

I'm sold on home office laser printers now and this combines all the best attributes in a small footprint and at a great price. For the rare time I need to print in colour there is still my Photosmart 6520 but for B&W I've halved my print costs.
on 15 December 2011
We have 3 people in an office here and our old beast of an HP4100 Laserjet, which we printed envelopes on, finally gave up the ghost after many years. We needed a networked Mono Laser printer to print around 1000-2000 envelopes per month. This printer was dead easy to set up on the network, prints beautifully clearly and handles envelopes with no problem at all.
Thoroughly recommended.
on 8 July 2011
This is a great printer at this affordable price. The printing speed is relatively fast and print quality is good. The best feature is the automatic duplex printing. It also comes with auto sleep to save power, as well as network printing. So far I'm very satisfied with it.
on 10 July 2014
Arrived well within the stated delivery bracket. Took almost as long to get out of the box as to set up! Set-up as a network printer was simplicity itself and worked like a dream. One thing that is not clear on the minimalist instructions included with printer is that the set-up has to be run on every pc on the network accessing the printer.

Print speed and quality excellent in a SOHO environment - did get a bit hot towards the end of printing a 152 page document double sided.

Doesn't fell very robust after the HP LJ 2200D it replaced but, then again, that was s substantial beast. I wonder if this will last as long? (Some 8 years sterling service and only abandoned as too expensive to fix the duplex unit).