5.0 out of 5 stars Be Aware!!
Published 16 months ago by Josh N

3.0 out of 5 stars Not much chance of being led into the dark side
I picked this up because I thought that Lucas was finally allowing people to choose whether they wanted to watch the original versions of these movies or the so-called enhanced versions. From the outer box it would seem so. However, this box contains a nasty and mean spirited surprise.
Yes- the new versions of the film are in Dolby Digital sound, anamorphically...
Published on 13 Dec 2009 by J. M. Greer

5.0 out of 5 stars Be Aware!!, 14 Dec 2012
This review is from: Star Wars: The Original Trilogy (Episodes IV-VI) [Blu-ray] [1977] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
Please be aware that several product pages lead to this strain of reviews. I have seen reviews claiming that there set did not contain the original unaltered versions as they had read in reviews and as such were dissapointed. Multiple versions of the original trilogy lead to this string of reviews, the Blu Ray set released in 2011 does not contain the unaltered versions. The DVD trilogy release from 2004 does not contain them either it is only the remastered copies. If you are looking for a trilogy that contains the untampered originals then insure that the eproduct you are buying was released in 2008, and that the picture on the front cover is one of Luke and Darth Vader with lightsabres clashed with a blue light coming from behind them. All other versions do not include the originals, that for any die hard fan are must owns! However there are plenty of reviews here on the content, I just wanted to clear up that issue.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not much chance of being led into the dark side, 13 Dec 2009
J. M. Greer (Hexham, Northumberland United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Yes- the new versions of the film are in Dolby Digital sound, anamorphically enhanced picture and THX mastering. However,the original versions are in a matted 4:3 format (ie not enhanced for a widescreen tv)and are in basic (and I do mean basic) stereo soundtrack. It looks like somebody filmed it in the cinema on a camcorder.
This is a bit like a photography book which has one half printed on high quality colour paper stock and the other half printed on yellowing newsprint.
There is absolutely no reason that the original versions cannot be displyed with the same level of picture and sound as the new versions and even if Lucas cannot be bothered bringing the sound up to 5.1 there is absolutely no excuse for not making the dvds anamorphic for widescreen tvs.
The only conclusion is that Lucas does not trust the public to make their own mind up. He wants to ensure that people think 'Gee they have really improved these clunky old movies' rather than 'Why did they ruin the simplicity of these films by jamming them up with lots of unnecessary CGI effects'. The way he is doing this is by making the discs of the old stuff as bad as possible.
Lucas deserves a rasperry for this. I am sure I will enjoy watching the new versions despite myself but this is a bad way to treat your fans and customers.

5.0 out of 5 stars At Last!!, 23 Jan 2007
Peter Cole "Pongo Smythe" (England) - See all my reviews
Well it's taken long enough but for all of those waiting to see the version of the Star Wars trilogy that they remember from the cinema, before Mr. Lucas decided to make an extra buck or two by 'improving' them, the wait is over. Contrary to the statement made by another reviewer these are the original theatrical releases (two of the three scenes he says are now 'missing' were cut before Star Wars was ever released and although stills do exist of those scenes they were never part of the film as seen at cinemas. The third he mentions is still there, though he is remembering it incorrectly.) Don't expect 5.1 Dolby, cleaned negatives or anything other than the films as they were thirty years ago (and yes, it looks like 30 year old film stock), and that's exactly as it should be. If you want the cleaned, enhanced, 'special' editions they are here as well but for me they just serve as a reminder of why George should have left the originals alone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good basic set, 20 Nov 2005
By A Customer
These are as far as we know the same versions of the Original Star Wars Trilogy that were released last September but this set is without the 4th extra features disc. This is meant as a basic set for people who just want to see the films and dont want any extra features, this is shown in the reduced price compared to the 4 disc Boxset.
A good buy for the family.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Force is still with us, 2 Jan 2006
D. I. Shipley "David Shipley" (KENT United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I saw Star Wars in the cinema on its original release in 1977 and I was not slow to buy a ticket for an encore. The sheer experience of that film was exhilarating at a time when movie SFX were still a fair distance away from the quality we know and expect today. Few cinemas had stereo sound then because Dolby Stereo was in its infancy, and to actually be in a cinema so equipped at that time was a rarity. If you were really lucky, in addition to Dolby stereo, it might have a 70mm facility which would give you an enhanced picture, plus a 6 channel stereo split instead of the normal 4 channel of standard Dolby. Nowadays digital stereo in the cinema and home makes that sort of differentiating pretty irrelevent.
Seeing Star Wars in stereo and with its incredible effects really was an experience . After that sound and SFX were never going to be the same, and neither have looked back since.

Of the three films Return Of The Jedi is in 3rd place, a great film but is simply bettered by the two that came before it. In second place sits Star Wars itself. The film remains one of those viewing experiences which just remains in your mind as a milestone. What effects, what imagination, the ability to lift you out of every day life and take you to a galaxy, far, far away. Who can forget seeing that opening shot of the huge Star Destroyer bearing down on Princess Leia's fleeing vessel?
No audiences had seen spaceships of those looks and dimensions on the big screen before...
The pride of place by a whisker is taken by The Empire Strikes Back. Of the three films, this is the one that has stood up to more repeat viewings than the others. When I first saw it it did not have the effect that seeing the first did, absorbing though it still was. The passage of time has seen it establish itself as my fave of the trilogy though. I always felt that the plot for Star Wars drew on the Arthurian Legend and nowhere is this more apparent than in The Empire Strikes Back, particularly when the true identity of Darth Vader is revealed for the first time.
There is a moodiness about Empire that runs through the film from start to finish, and I often wonder what Jedi would have been like if George Lucas had let the director of Empire Strikes Back - Irvin Kershner helm that film too....

As to the controversy of the editing that Lucas has made to the dvd releases, my feelings are as follows:
I loved the originals and have the vhs versions of all three. However, with nearly 20 years between Jedi and The Phantom Menace there were always going to be continuity issues concerning casting and SFX. Play an original vhs version of Star Wars, and you will soon see that the mattes have not aged well and stand out visibly. Yet did we notice them at the the time of the films release? No of course not because the SFX then were state of the art. Now with the passage of time and SFX having come on in leaps and bounds, George Lucas decided to update the former films.In my opinion he has done a good job too SFX wise. The casting editing is more to link with the newer editions of the franchise than to improve the quality of the originals, so my thoughts on that are mixed though. I can see the reason for doing it but I simply prefer the original actors in their roles. Clive Revill's Emperor in Empire Strikes Back I think is the deletion that was most unnecessary.
Overall though I am glad that I have a choice and can either watch the originals on vhs or put on the updated versions on dvd.
I have looked forward to the dvd release of these films for years and am delighted with finally being able to blast them across my home cinema set up. The picture on 16:9 anamorphic is great on a widescreen tv. All sound channels are crisp and totally clear of any distortion. Laser blasts and Tie Fighters shoot across the room to varying degrees...Such is the effect of being able to do that, it has returned me to the awe struck kid seeing Star Wars for the first time in a cinema. Thanks for the dvds, George, it may have taken a while but at least they are here now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not the original versions nor the SE's but something else..., 19 April 2004
By A Customer
I pretty much agree with Amazon's editorial review except for the uncritical praise lavished on The Empire Strikes Back. It's a good sequel but it's not without flaws. That said, it's worth pointing out that these three movies will feature even more enhancements and newly shot footage designed to ensure both trilogies fit together as one story (which was after all Lucas's original intention).
Lucasfilm won't say anything until the official press launch but to judge by some of the more informed comments being made around the net it does look as though the Obi-wan/Vader fight onboard the Death Star (from A New Hope) has been redone to bring it more into line with the pace and zip of the lightsabre battles of the prequels. The CGI Jabba The Hut from ANH has almost certainly been redone and many of the effects from all three films have either been replaced or cleaned up. Additionally, in The Empire Strikes Back, Ian McDiarmid as the Emperor may have been digitally added into the scene where Darth Vader communicates with the Emperor. But most controversially of all (at least for the fans) actor Hayden Christenson - who plays Anakin Skywalker (Luke's father and Darth Vader to-be) in the prequels - may also feature as the aged and horribly scarred Vader in the scene from Return of the Jedi where he is finally unmasked by Luke.
Now whether this and numerous other rumours (such as the one about the Han/Greedo scene having been properly restored) turn out to be true or false, well, we'll just have to wait and see. One thing I do know, this DVD release is NOT the 1997 Special Edition. No way. I know that 100%. I'm not saying the above changes are definitely going to be in there either but that's increasingly what it looks like. So if you're a fan brace yourself for some major surprises because George hasn't quite finished tinkering with his story just yet.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sorry George, Han shot first, 26 May 2013
Clearly the old adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" means nothing to Lucas. Despite the sales figures of the 2006 DVDs (which included the theatrical versions) apparently surpassing the 2004 box sets, including many people buying them again just to get the originals on DVD, again he insists on messing around with a classic.

Yet more changes over the 2004 DVDs (although the colour timing errors seem to be fixed, Darth Vader really didn't look good with a pink lightsabre!). Greedo still shoots first (boo!), Jabba still appears in Ep IV (boo!), and now the Ewoks blink (like, whatever?) and Darth Vader shouts "noooooo!" at the end of Ep VI. A line of dialogue that was lifted from Ep III.

So sorry George, but until you release the original 1977/80/83 versions on Blu-Ray my money will be staying firmly in my pocket and I shall continue to watch my self-restored versions I created from the 2006 theatrical discs.

(As an added note, one wonders if now that Disney have bought the rights to Star Wars whether they'll release the originals?)

4.0 out of 5 stars A* for the transfer, but Mr Lucas gets an F, 18 Sep 2011
Pretty much all of the review material here revolves around George Lucas' continuing tinkering with our most beloved sci-fi classics. What we have here for this release is essentially the Special Editions with a few changes here and there, and a couple of scenes in particular (which I see no need to describe again) which have most fans in an unholy uproar. These `tweaks' are undoubtedly unnecessary and do nothing to improve the films whatsoever. Lucas would do very well to remember the old adage; `If it ain't broke, don't fix it'. We've been here before of course, in 1997. Whether or not we'll ever see a blu-ray edition of the original films is anybody's guess. Lucas himself has been quoted as saying that the original versions are gone forever.

Thus with all the talk of Mr Lucas, crazed and demented by power, hacking his classics to pieces, I had deepest concerns prior to watching the trilogy this weekend. But any doubts quickly slipped away as I watched the quite incredible Empire Strikes Back. This is my favourite by a country mile, and the only one of the trilogy that is quite brilliant on every level, but the blu-ray transfer for all three films is superb, in terms of both picture and sound quality, and among the very best I've seen. It took me back 25 years, as if I was watching again for the first time. We may have our gripes, but let them not rob you of the opportunity of watching these great family films in utterly astonishing detail and clarity.

Plaudits then, go not to Lucas but to the team responsible for the work to upgrade these films to HD. These are the folk who have rescued this most anticipated of releases from becoming a total car crash. It's a remarkable job, and makes it well worth the upgrade, despite the tinkering.

And at least we don't have to purchase the abominable prequel trilogy.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointed, 20 Feb 2014
Its is a pitty that the trail of feedback is very misleading regarding the contents og the DVD set. This is the remastered versions of Episodes IV, V and VI. These are not the original theatrical versions so do not buy this is you are looking for original series as released in the 70.s and 80.s

4.0 out of 5 stars They aren't the originals!, 31 Dec 2013
D. Bloomfield "a music fan" (coventry) - See all my reviews
PLEASE BE AWARE I AM REVIEWING 'STAR WARS: THE ORIGINAL TRILOGY' (THE THREE DISC SET WITH THE TORSO OF DARTH VADER WITH A RED LIT LIGHTSABER)

Call me a sentimental fool, or just a fool - as I'm sure many of you will after reading my review - but I truly believed that this three disc set held the 'original' trilogy i.e. the three original cinematic cuts viewed in 1977, 1980 and 1983.
It doesn't. They are the Special Edition (from 1997) with further added footage by George Lucas.

I was hopeful that he would one day release the original feature films cleaned up and ready for the HD market. I was wrong and should have read the reviews here.

The original films were classics - I have them all in their original form on VHS - and I still love these films but I feel a little bit of sick rise up into my mouth every time I see Han Solo with Jabba in the 'new' Star Wars...it doesn't feel right. Part of the excitement (for me) as a child was not knowing what these characters looked like or where they came from. A computer generated image of Jabba never quite worked in 1997 and with further tinkering it still doesn't work. Further added scenes like Luke meeting with Dak at the rebel base doesn't work - the scene is wooden and weak in my opinion and would surely have been one of the original reasons to leave it out. The long drive through Mos Eisley is pointless and looks computer generated. The computer generated 'extra' x-wing and y-wing fighters make the Death Star battle look more 'even' when surely the battle was about good overcoming evil through sheer will, not numbers.

As I say, I love the films and Star Wars is a 5 star film as is The Empire Strikes Back. The Return of the Jedi still doesn't know what it wants to be - a continuation of the darkness visited in Empire or a childrens comedy with the Ewoks, so I give it 3 stars.

I still keep my fingers crossed that Disney/Lucas may release the originals clean and crisp...

ARRAY(0xad8214c8)