They really are lovely and so comfortable.

Published on 19 May 2012 by Mrs. K. Miller

2.0 out of 5 stars Painful shoes
I read the reviews and bought the shoes. I wish I hadn't! I was crippled, the blisters were enormous. The reason for the blisters, I believe, is the suede like base, so your feet are constantly moving against this suede and it is extremely painful.
The shoes are beautifully made, and very high quality, just lose the suede, please!
Published 1 month ago by L. M. Harvey

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely but double check your size on the Birkenstock website before buying, 19 May 2012
Mrs. K. Miller (Watford, UK) - See all my reviews
They really are lovely and so comfortable.

But a few words of advice, after having read a lot of comments about buying the narrow size instead and about the sizings in general in the reviews section. I went to the official Birkenstock UK website and under the tab "shop online" there is a sizing guide, and for women who are a size 7 in UK sizing, they state that you should purchase a size 40 in European sizing and the standard width. Unless you have narrow feet. Mine aren't especially wide or narrow and the regular width is perfect for me.

Usually I'm a 41 in European sizing. But I thought I'd order the size 40 and return it, if it didn't fit well. As that was the recommendation on their website. I have to say it fits perfectly.

I read the information on narrow or regular as well and this is what it said:

"Regular or narrow?
Even with foot health sandals the right fit is important. Therefore the Original Birkenstock foot bed is manufactured in two widths. When purchasing your Birkenstock sandals, ensure that you get the correct width.
Birkenstocks are designed to be roomy. When you first try your sandals they might feel big. Most people are fine with a regular fitting, but if your foot moves side to side when you walk and adjusting the strap does not help, a narrow fitting may be more suitable. If you want to check the width of a pair of Birkenstocks you already own, you can tell by inspecting the foot bed where there is a small image of a foot - if it's filled in the shoe is a narrow fitting, and if it's an outline it's regular.
Also all stock codes for narrow fittings end with 3"

So well worth looking at the sizing guides carefully before ordering in my opinion. Do not use the sizing info on Amazon as your only guide before buying, unless you want to run the risk of having to return them again. As on Amazon it said I should purchase the 41 not 40. Perhaps Birkenstock are just a little different than usual shoe sizes :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Birkenstocks, 8 April 2011
Absolutely love these the colour is great, only 1 piece of advice go a size smaller as they come quite large I also got the narrow and I would consider myself to have quite wide feet.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to choose correct size!!!, 23 Mar 2010
This review is from: Birkenstock Madrid Birko-Flor, Unisex Sandals (Shoes)
I write from continental Europe, and know very well Birkenstock, several guys said are too big...
In the past Birkenstock have 3 size:
1 Large
2 Regular
3 Narrow
And now have only 2 size:
1 Narrow
2 Reguar

Narrow is NOT Narrow, in fact it's like Regular, it's for ALL, here in my country the most common is narrow, several women style issued only in narrow.

Regular is NOT Regular, in fact it's Large, it's simple... Please choose Regular ONLY if you have very, very, large and robust/fat feet, or (the only exception) if you would to buy thong stile sandal like Gizeh, Birkenstock catalogue in my language describe the reason, thong style expand big toe during walking, and need Regular size, only women with very, very, narrow and slim feet who buy thong style sandal like Gizeh need the narrow size.

The only problem is, in some country the only size available is Regular.

I'm man i wear Birkenstock Madrid Narrow size 42, in the past i buy Regular 42 it's giant over 2 or 3 size up for me, on the big toe the space is over 5 cm, i have Regular 42 only for Gizeh, and the size is correct.

And also remember, for the correct size feet on Birkenstock need space, you have 0,5 cm on the front (big toe), and 0,5 cm on the back (heel), the reason is simple this avoid the feet ruin the border.

For the guys who said i have pain and blisters, Birkenstock are high quality shoes and foot need some days of training.

On official Birkenstock web site (.de) you found complete PDF catalogue in English/German/Netherlands.

Bye

5.0 out of 5 stars Young persons Review on Madrid Birkenstock Sandals, 3 July 2010
This review is from: Birkenstock Madrid Birko-Flor, Unisex Sandals (Shoes)
I purchased these two years ago in the summer for some comfortable sandals for my holiday. I coulden't love them more! They mould to your feet so quickly and look really good~! I'm now 16 and still love them so much, I'm thinking of purchasing more colours! Xx

5.0 out of 5 stars Regular M is to big, 16 Feb 2012
Happyfamily (Essex) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Birkenstock Madrid Birko-Flor, Unisex Sandals (Shoes)
I love Birkenstock Madrid and already have several pairs. The shop I got mines from several years ago only had them in one fitting, so I didn't know if they were regular or narrow. I then bought my regular size 38 in M from Amazon, and found out that it is to big, I have compared them to the ones I already have and it it is to wide at the space in front of the toes, and to big. I will have to return them and then buy the 38 in N, hoping that it will be the correct size. It is quite annoying as on the official Birkenstock website, they say that M is regular and N is narrow, in reality M is to wide and to big.

5.0 out of 5 stars Birkenstocks, 29 Sep 2009
Great fit and the most comfortable sandals I own, which is why I have several pairs!

5.0 out of 5 stars birkenstock, 25 Feb 2010
kaycee (edmonton, london) - See all my reviews
I bought a pair of Birkenstock Madrid and they are the best things I have purchased in a long time. Not only were they good value for money they are so so comfortable. I usally get pains in my feet and cannot walk without being in discomfort. Since I bought my birkenstocks all of that has changed. The sandals mould to your feet and it feels like you are walking on air. I will definately be ordering more colours to match my outfits.Birkenstock Women's Birkenstock Madrid

5.0 out of 5 stars Comment on Birkenstock width, 3 Aug 2011
I have to comment on Flavius review, concerning Birkenstock width:

I am a woman, petite, medium built. My feet are not particularly slim nor noticeable wide.
Contrary to what Flavius wrote, I find "Regular" Birkenstock width to be just "Regular": the right width for me.

Birkenstock mentions that the sandals are to be roomy and recommends that feet should fit completely inside the footbeds, even if they feel big on 1st try - only if your foot moves side to side when you walk and adjusting the strap does not help, you should go with narrow fitting.

If I would wear "Narrow" width, my feet would be pressed against the rim of the sandals - that would feel more similar to most of my other shoes, but the whole purpose here is to have footwear that is comfortable and can adapt to my shape, instaed of me adapting to the shoe shape. Please note that despite looking for comfortable shoes, I a am fashion conscious person and would not feel good if these would look unreasonably wide.

So, as always, your mileage may vary...

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect fit!, 29 May 2014
Love these! After reading other reviews saying the width N was regular, I ordered 39N and they are a perfect fit (I have average width feet and normally wear a size 39/6). The silver colour is fantastic, quite matt in texture and they go with everything!! Great for popping on quickly while I run around after my three children!
Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Take a while to get used to but then comfy!, 21 May 2014
This was my second attempt at getting the right size, but following the advice of other reviewers, this time, I chose a softer leather style top, which is more comfy (to me) than the patent style. I also understood that the foot outline on the base of the shoe meant medium and the closed outline meant narrow so then it was easier to pick the right size. (Medium fits my feet the best). Finally I followed the instructions on the Birkenstock site... I wore the sandals for a couple of 20 minute stints with toe spacers (for nail varnish) in between my toes, and on the third wear - they were perfect, all day! It is really worthwhile unless you are used to Birkenstocks! I would recommend them. This was also my first experience of having to send back and re-order from Amazon and it was absolutely no hassle at all.

Birkenstock Madrid Birko-Flor, Unisex Sandals