1,833 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Picture (almost) Perfect
Published on 28 Jun 2011 by Carl Spencer

1,863 of 2,221 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars rampant greed
This is a joke right? People who buy Blu Ray are not yet mainstream. We are movie fans who want to see the movie in its best possible light. By the same token that means we are the same people who will buy extended or collectors editions of movies, and LotR is one movie series where the extended version makes a tremendous difference. Every Blu Ray owener who wants this...
Published on 12 Jun 2009 by Pallas

4.0 out of 5 stars Picture (almost) Perfect, 28 Jun 2011
Carl Spencer "Carl" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Extended Edition) [Blu-ray] [2011] [2001] (Blu-ray)
I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that everyone reading this already knows a good deal about the Lord of the Rings trilogy, so I won't discuss the quality of the movies in detail. Needless to say that there really is no competition between the theatrical and extended editions so far as the experience is concerned. The Extended Editions feel much more whole and complete and generally far more satisfying than the abridged theatrical version. Equal love and attention is put into the special features, which are immensely detailed and entertaining.

The main topic of debate over this release has been the quality of the video, the use of 2 discs per film, and the use of DVDs for special features as opposed to blu-ray discs.

VIDEO & AUDIO:

Fellowship - The discontent with the theatrical blu-ray for Fellowship is no secret, leading to the new transfer for this boxset. There have been videos showing the high green levels in the transfer, which has led many to write off buying this release. The bad news is that certain scenes do indeed look a little too green - weathertop and subsequent scene when Arwen arrives; Mines of Moria and a few others. There is also a higher level of orange than I remember in other scenes (i.e. Rivendell). The good news is that these are brief little bumps in the road for an otherwise brilliant video. The film finally looks high-definition with beautiful clarity and detail but without looking over digitised. It looks natural and impressive.

Two Towers & Return of the King - There is no major improvement in these films but one thing I did feel when watching the theatrical blu-rays was that the picture, though impressive, was flat somehow... although that may be my imagination. If it wasn't my imagination, then the issue has been addressed as the video seems to have more depth and warmth.

Audio - The unquestionable champion of this set is the audio quality. I had enormous expectations for Howard Shore's soundtrack, which has left me in tears on numerous occasions, and was not left disappointed (or dry eyed). The audio is incredibly detailed and dynamic. You can literally hear the brush of the leaves and trickle of water, along with the perfect soundtrack and crystal clear dialogue. Multi-layered sound effects are used appropriately and never overstated - they will highly reward any good surround system. Every aspect of the audio track is a great success, especially the dialogue, which I had always found difficult to understand in particular scenes but could understand perfectly here. I thoroughly enjoyed every minute spent with each of these terrific soundtracks.

2 DISCS PER FILM:

This issue never really bothered me, although I've always disliked the way in which the split was handled. It's not too bad for Fellowship, with disc 1 ending on the founding of the Fellowship of the Ring - a perfect mid-point. However, both Two Towers and Return of the King cut-offs are sudden and inappropriate, killing the mood and tension slightly. Unfortunately, this hasn't been fixed for this release, which is a shame but not lethal.

SPECIAL FEATURES DVDS:

Again, this is not something which really bothers me. Whilst it would be nice to have a complete set of blu-ray discs and enjoy the special features in high-definition, there is nothing which really suffers from being on a DVD. Considering the time and money that would have to be put into the transfers, I think it is best that they have been left on DVDs.

WHY FOUR STARS??:

Considering I have had nothing but praise for this set, you might wonder why I have only given it four stars. The reason is simple - the US release of this boxset was virtually identical, except that it also included digital copies of the films whereas ours does not. However, both sets are a similar price, or ours is a good £15-20 more expensive if you compare Amazon's prices. While this may have been acceptable before digital copies really came over to the UK, it is now commonplace for the more premium Blu-Ray releases to include digital copies of the film and, for the price tag, we should have been given the same treatment as our American counterparts.

CONCLUSION:

General opinion is that this boxset is still holding back a little and the full deal will be released in the next couple of years to support the release of The Hobbit movies. I obviously cannot predict whether or not that will happen but feel that, for now at least, this boxset is the best we are going to get and it is certainly 100% better than the theatrical blu-ray set. If you loved the extended editions, or haven't had the chance to see them yet, then this set shows them in all their audio-visual glory and should not be dismissed as a half-effort (lack of digital copies aside).

5.0 out of 5 stars WARNING: check Part 2 of Return of the King on receipt, 22 Aug 2007
Simon Dismore (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
As soon as you receive your extended-edition box set from Amazon, I suggest you check that the second disc of Return of the King plays correctly. Mine is labelled "Part 2" but actually contains the German version of the Appendices Part 6 disc. I imagine someone messed up the duplication as others have reported this problem but so far not on Amazon.co.uk.

I hope this advice helps prevent the disbelief and disappointment that I have just experienced.

POSTSCRIPT: Both Amazon and the UK distributors responded quickly and courteously to solve this for me, so no complaints there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absoluelty incredible, and stunning value., 8 Jan 2005
Amazon Customer "PEF" (Norfolk, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I bought the original two disc version of The Fellowship of the Ring and was both miffed when the extended version came out, and disappointed at the paltry extras. I resolved to wait until this version, the complete extended version, came out before buying any more. So I've been waiting nearly two years but, boy, was it worth the wait.
There's not much I can add about the films; the extended versions are incredible, SO much better than the original versions, and stunning on a good TV/surround system. The films are so moving that I've found myself moved to tears at times by the sheer power and beauty of them, and I'm not usually prone to gushing over DVD's.
However I wanted to add that the two discs of extras with each film are equally stunning. They manage to be different for each film, and I've watched, transfixed as they take you through the incredible scale of the productions and the sheer love and craftsmanship that went into making these films.
Really, forty-five quid for these 12 DVD's represents incredible (yes I know I've used that word about 5 times) value, you really will want to watch all of them. Buy it now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Colour looking fine...., 28 Jun 2011
Having been alarmed by a few claims that the Fellowship of the Ring was looking a bit green-tinged I watched the whole thing as soon as the pack arrived. Honestly can't see what all the fuss is about - this film looks even more gorgeous than it did on the the extended DVDs (I resisted the temptation to buy the theatrical blu-rays). I was fearing a sickly green hue over everything (including the snow !) but the whole thing looks fantastic to me.

A fitting - and hopefully definitive - release for a true cinematic classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth Every Penny, 2 July 2008
This Lord of The Rings Extended Edition Trilogy DVD set is the litmus test for which all other future DVD sets should be compared. As well as the longer versions of each film, there are literally dozens of hours of extras, from historical accounts of Tolkien's life, to production design, to story drafts, actor interviews, special effects, art design, you name it, it's here. This set is as epic as the movies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Only fools would ignore this Blu-ray stunner, 4 July 2011
Forget the whining and the moaning. Forget it all.

Yes, we could have done with JUST the films on Blu-ray and not all the same extras, but we have them and that's that.
Yes some of the green-blue colour change/darkening in "Fellowship" seems overdone in in certain scenes or details, but most of the time these changes are in fact a vast improvement in picture quality and general aesthetics.

And quite frankly the most important thing is simply this...do the Blu-rays offer up a stunning looking, major upgrade from DVD, transfer?
And the answer is a huge and mighty OH YES!

All the films look truly stunning in the sheer amount of extra detail they offer up (backgrounds now pop with stunning clarity and pin sharp definition of even the smallest details) and often some of the depth is startling too, especially in many of the Gollum scenes.
Just take a look at the Rivendell scenes in "Fellowship", the rock/mountain/Gollum scenes in "The Two Towers" and the massive battle scenes and epic vistas in "Two Towers" and "King" and be amazed at the gorgeous detail, depth and clarity that is now revealed.

Play these (and many, many, many more) sequences next to their now flat, grey, blurred DVD counterparts and you will see that buying this Blu-ray set is as essential to any fan of the movies as breathing itself.
And all that's not even taking into account the mighty, thundering, crystal clear HD audio.

Utterly essential!

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the wait! Simply stunning!, 5 July 2011
Well, what can I say?! This is the "one" we've been waiting for...... and it certainly doesn't disappoint!
The picture quality and 6.1 surround sound are simply stunning! Every detail on screen is crystal clear.
After borrowing a friend's copy of the theatrical blu ray version of the movies a while ago, I was a bit concerned that these would be of the same so-so quality.
I was wrong: they are vastly improved, and the quality is breathtaking...

Personally, I can't understand what all the fuss is over the supposed "green issue" with "Fellowship" - I couldn't notice anything strikingly different! Looks absolutely fine to me!
And as for the naysayers who are whingeing about the film being split over 2 discs: for goodness' sake - get a life will ya?!!
These movies would never look as sumptuous and gorgeous as they now are if they were compressed onto 1 little itty-bitty blu ray.
I really don't see what the problem is with changing discs over either: on average, these movies last around 2 hours per disc anyway...... so who WOULDN'T want to get up, give their bum a rest, fix a drink and give your legs a bit of exercise??!! (For the record, I timed how long it took me to get up and switch a disc over: 23 seconds). Not too much of a hardship is it?!

Anyway, just to reiterate: THIS is the box set you need. This is the best the movies have ever looked (and sounded) and this is the best you're ever going to get. Simply superb.
You won't be disappointed. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

5.0 out of 5 stars Is there an option for 6 stars?, 4 Sep 2014
For all of you who think owning the theatrical editions of The Lord of the Rings trilogy is good enough, think again. These editions are not like any other director's cuts or special editions of films that we've seen in the past. Usually, when a film has a special edition, we don't get a whole lot more added in, and it's stuff that doesn't really add anything significant to the story.

But with these editions, just the opposite is true. The extended editions of the first two Lord of the Rings films proved to enhance the plot and characters so much more than anyone ever anticipated. Characters and their journeys become so much clearer and more interesting. The story makes so much more sense. And the whole thing has been re-edited with new music for new scenes and extended musical scores for extended scenes! It's absolutely seamless! Everything that's added in really makes me wonder how I could've enjoyed the films in their original theatrical release. These extended editions make THAT MUCH of a difference. And I have no doubt that The Return of the King extended edition will prove just the same, based on previews I've seen and what's been proven with the extended editions of the first two films.

The Fellowship of the Ring has 30 minutes added in. The Two Towers has 42 minutes added in. The Return of the King has 50 minues added in. Can it get any better? Well, of course! With each movie, you get two discs of bonus features! And these are not features that are boring to watch. You really get a first hand look at the journey that many, many talented people took when making this trilogy. Everything from adaption of the books, to special effects, to the music, to the editing process, to stories that happened on set, etc. The bonus features make a whole story in and of themselves!

For some of you, you may be thinking that 3 hours was long enough for these films. I guarantee you that it was not. When you watch these extended editions, you'll seriously re-evaluate your standards for how long these films should be. And besides, it's not like your sitting for 3 1/2 to 4 hours on your butt in the theater with no break. This is DVD. It's a different medium that allows you to pause it, take a break, cook dinner, or do whatever else you want to do and then come back later to finish it. They won't seem as long, especially when you actually see how great the footage is that they added back in. Simply breath taking.

Of course I didn't wait for this box set to come out to own "The Fellowship of the Ring" and "The Two Towers" extended editions. The theatrical versions of those two films alone WERE plenty good to motivate me to buy their corresponding extended edition DVD sets. But I'll probably buy this set anyway and sell the extended editions of the first two that I bought, just so that I can have the trilogy in this nice collectors box.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still one of the greatest love stories ever told, 28 Jan 2013
DVD Boxed Set Jan-2013

The reviews seem to have becomes jumbled between DVD's and Blu_Rays.

This presentation of the standard "seen in the cinema" LOTR is most enjoyable. You can spend twice the price and see a bit more for the "directors cut". If you have the money then I guess that's a good investment.

This "cinema" release is visually excellent, sounds great and remains totally enjoyable. It's not the book. It's not the epic. It's still wonderful :) Hope you buy a copy - any copy - and enjoy it :) CW.

5.0 out of 5 stars A set for those who love LotR, blu-ray and good value, 30 Jun 2011
As probably many of you have seen, there appears to be an entire faction of people who are obsessed with discrediting this item because it is not the extended editions of the films. People have said that a blu-ray version of the theatrical editions is pointless, that the kind of people who buy blu-ray will be the kind of people who will want the extended editions, and all sorts of other comments. While this may be true for some people, or even the majority of people, I am still happy this product exists.

Why?

Because I am the kind of person who loves movies, and who loves blu-ray. The quality upgrade is just beautiful and I happen to be a sucker for it. People who love blu-ray do not always have to be die-hard Lord of the Rings fans. I myself am a Lord of the Rings fan, and I adore the books and the characters and the films; the films I saw when they first came out, the films I saw in the cinema. I recently re-watched all three theatrical editions in a rather epic all-nighter at my university's student cinema, and I can honestly say that the three films, in one go like that, were pretty much as close as it is possible to get to perfection. So why would I want to ruin my experience by adding in deleted scenes and, the worst thing for me, having to get up half-way through to change the disc? I know it only seems like a small thing, but it rather shatters the fourth wall, doesn't it? Perhaps many of the people who are complaining about this item are currently having their dreams shattered by the revelation that the extended edition blu-ray will also suffer from multiple-disc-disorder as, even though the increased capacity of the blu-ray discs should have been enough to hold one film, they've split the films again to accomodate commentaries. I personally don't want my viewing experience ruined by being rather forcibly reminded half-way through a movie that I'm in my living room, rather than Middle Earth, and so it's natural that I prefer the theatrical originals over their extended editions.

I currently own the theatrical trilogy on VHS (kickin' it old school!) and wanted to upgrade, ideally to blu-ray. This set is really good value and above all has each film on one disc only and I for one am very glad that they're releasing both theatrical and extended blu-ray boxsets. So if you're the kind of person who loved the films you saw in the cinema, and love the quality of blu-ray, but don't necessarily feel the need to watch every event in the books, buy this and don't let the rating bother you. If you're the kind of person who loves the extended editions, buy the blu-ray of that and stop complaining. Unless you really do think the theatrical editions are a waste of time, in which case you'll be contacting the Academy to tell them they should take back the 4 Oscars they gave to Fellowship of the Ring and the further 11 they dished out to Return of the King.