4.0 out of 5 stars Picture (almost) Perfect
Published on 28 Jun 2011 by Carl Spencer

2.0 out of 5 stars Blu Ray Region
I purchased this boxset for delivery to Australia as it is advertised on the box as being Blu ray region B (UK, Asia and Australia). However, on receipt of this item, once we had opened it all up you will find that only the films themselves are Blu Ray. All the other extra discs (ie 26hrs worth of watching) are NOT Blu Ray, they are UK region 2 normal DVD's which dont...
Published on 19 Aug 2011 by EllenR

4.0 out of 5 stars Picture (almost) Perfect, 28 Jun 2011
Carl Spencer "Carl" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Extended Edition) [Blu-ray] [2011] [2001] (Blu-ray)
I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that everyone reading this already knows a good deal about the Lord of the Rings trilogy, so I won't discuss the quality of the movies in detail. Needless to say that there really is no competition between the theatrical and extended editions so far as the experience is concerned. The Extended Editions feel much more whole and complete and generally far more satisfying than the abridged theatrical version. Equal love and attention is put into the special features, which are immensely detailed and entertaining.

The main topic of debate over this release has been the quality of the video, the use of 2 discs per film, and the use of DVDs for special features as opposed to blu-ray discs.

VIDEO & AUDIO:

Fellowship - The discontent with the theatrical blu-ray for Fellowship is no secret, leading to the new transfer for this boxset. There have been videos showing the high green levels in the transfer, which has led many to write off buying this release. The bad news is that certain scenes do indeed look a little too green - weathertop and subsequent scene when Arwen arrives; Mines of Moria and a few others. There is also a higher level of orange than I remember in other scenes (i.e. Rivendell). The good news is that these are brief little bumps in the road for an otherwise brilliant video. The film finally looks high-definition with beautiful clarity and detail but without looking over digitised. It looks natural and impressive.

Two Towers & Return of the King - There is no major improvement in these films but one thing I did feel when watching the theatrical blu-rays was that the picture, though impressive, was flat somehow... although that may be my imagination. If it wasn't my imagination, then the issue has been addressed as the video seems to have more depth and warmth.

Audio - The unquestionable champion of this set is the audio quality. I had enormous expectations for Howard Shore's soundtrack, which has left me in tears on numerous occasions, and was not left disappointed (or dry eyed). The audio is incredibly detailed and dynamic. You can literally hear the brush of the leaves and trickle of water, along with the perfect soundtrack and crystal clear dialogue. Multi-layered sound effects are used appropriately and never overstated - they will highly reward any good surround system. Every aspect of the audio track is a great success, especially the dialogue, which I had always found difficult to understand in particular scenes but could understand perfectly here. I thoroughly enjoyed every minute spent with each of these terrific soundtracks.

2 DISCS PER FILM:

This issue never really bothered me, although I've always disliked the way in which the split was handled. It's not too bad for Fellowship, with disc 1 ending on the founding of the Fellowship of the Ring - a perfect mid-point. However, both Two Towers and Return of the King cut-offs are sudden and inappropriate, killing the mood and tension slightly. Unfortunately, this hasn't been fixed for this release, which is a shame but not lethal.

SPECIAL FEATURES DVDS:

Again, this is not something which really bothers me. Whilst it would be nice to have a complete set of blu-ray discs and enjoy the special features in high-definition, there is nothing which really suffers from being on a DVD. Considering the time and money that would have to be put into the transfers, I think it is best that they have been left on DVDs.

WHY FOUR STARS??:

Considering I have had nothing but praise for this set, you might wonder why I have only given it four stars. The reason is simple - the US release of this boxset was virtually identical, except that it also included digital copies of the films whereas ours does not. However, both sets are a similar price, or ours is a good 15-20 more expensive if you compare Amazon's prices. While this may have been acceptable before digital copies really came over to the UK, it is now commonplace for the more premium Blu-Ray releases to include digital copies of the film and, for the price tag, we should have been given the same treatment as our American counterparts.

CONCLUSION:

General opinion is that this boxset is still holding back a little and the full deal will be released in the next couple of years to support the release of The Hobbit movies. I obviously cannot predict whether or not that will happen but feel that, for now at least, this boxset is the best we are going to get and it is certainly 100% better than the theatrical blu-ray set. If you loved the extended editions, or haven't had the chance to see them yet, then this set shows them in all their audio-visual glory and should not be dismissed as a half-effort (lack of digital copies aside).

5.0 out of 5 stars WARNING: check Part 2 of Return of the King on receipt, 22 Aug 2007
Simon Dismore (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
As soon as you receive your extended-edition box set from Amazon, I suggest you check that the second disc of Return of the King plays correctly. Mine is labelled "Part 2" but actually contains the German version of the Appendices Part 6 disc. I imagine someone messed up the duplication as others have reported this problem but so far not on Amazon.co.uk.

I hope this advice helps prevent the disbelief and disappointment that I have just experienced.

POSTSCRIPT: Both Amazon and the UK distributors responded quickly and courteously to solve this for me, so no complaints there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absoluelty incredible, and stunning value., 8 Jan 2005
Amazon Customer "PEF" (Norfolk, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I bought the original two disc version of The Fellowship of the Ring and was both miffed when the extended version came out, and disappointed at the paltry extras. I resolved to wait until this version, the complete extended version, came out before buying any more. So I've been waiting nearly two years but, boy, was it worth the wait.
There's not much I can add about the films; the extended versions are incredible, SO much better than the original versions, and stunning on a good TV/surround system. The films are so moving that I've found myself moved to tears at times by the sheer power and beauty of them, and I'm not usually prone to gushing over DVD's.
However I wanted to add that the two discs of extras with each film are equally stunning. They manage to be different for each film, and I've watched, transfixed as they take you through the incredible scale of the productions and the sheer love and craftsmanship that went into making these films.
Really, forty-five quid for these 12 DVD's represents incredible (yes I know I've used that word about 5 times) value, you really will want to watch all of them. Buy it now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Colour looking fine...., 28 Jun 2011
Having been alarmed by a few claims that the Fellowship of the Ring was looking a bit green-tinged I watched the whole thing as soon as the pack arrived. Honestly can't see what all the fuss is about - this film looks even more gorgeous than it did on the the extended DVDs (I resisted the temptation to buy the theatrical blu-rays). I was fearing a sickly green hue over everything (including the snow !) but the whole thing looks fantastic to me.

A fitting - and hopefully definitive - release for a true cinematic classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Only fools would ignore this Blu-ray stunner, 4 July 2011
Forget the whining and the moaning. Forget it all.

Yes, we could have done with JUST the films on Blu-ray and not all the same extras, but we have them and that's that.
Yes some of the green-blue colour change/darkening in "Fellowship" seems overdone in in certain scenes or details, but most of the time these changes are in fact a vast improvement in picture quality and general aesthetics.

And quite frankly the most important thing is simply this...do the Blu-rays offer up a stunning looking, major upgrade from DVD, transfer?
And the answer is a huge and mighty OH YES!

All the films look truly stunning in the sheer amount of extra detail they offer up (backgrounds now pop with stunning clarity and pin sharp definition of even the smallest details) and often some of the depth is startling too, especially in many of the Gollum scenes.
Just take a look at the Rivendell scenes in "Fellowship", the rock/mountain/Gollum scenes in "The Two Towers" and the massive battle scenes and epic vistas in "Two Towers" and "King" and be amazed at the gorgeous detail, depth and clarity that is now revealed.

Play these (and many, many, many more) sequences next to their now flat, grey, blurred DVD counterparts and you will see that buying this Blu-ray set is as essential to any fan of the movies as breathing itself.
And all that's not even taking into account the mighty, thundering, crystal clear HD audio.

Utterly essential!

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth Every Penny, 2 July 2008
This Lord of The Rings Extended Edition Trilogy DVD set is the litmus test for which all other future DVD sets should be compared. As well as the longer versions of each film, there are literally dozens of hours of extras, from historical accounts of Tolkien's life, to production design, to story drafts, actor interviews, special effects, art design, you name it, it's here. This set is as epic as the movies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterful., 18 Dec 2006
To think that after only five years since its release, the quality of the Lord of the Rings is already beyond debate. The word masterpiece is a word that is bandied about too loosely in almost every form of entertainment, and film is no exclusion. If there are only a handful of modern masterpieces in the last few years, then surely the Lord of the Rings is among them.

Taking a cast that is a mixture of experienced thespians - Ian McKellen, Christopher Lee, Vigo Mortensen, Cate Blanchett - and talented youngsters - Elijah Wood, Sean Astin and Orlando Bloom to name but a few - the director, Peter Jackson, has crafted a brilliant movie that matches the novel for its sheer epic size and its sprawling storyline.

Taking his idyllic homeland of New Zealand, Jackson managed to bring the world of the books onto our screens, without resorting wholly to CGI. The vast, beautiful countryside that populates New Zealand is so spectacular that you may well question whether it even exists, but it does and Jackson knew this and brought the world of Tolkien to life where others have failed.

This is an excellent DVD that is abundant with extras, but the real pleasure is in allowing the movie to stretch out and breathe in one continuous sitting, which stretches to over 13 hours.

If you are knew to the world of Tolkien, or just coming back for more, you'll be delighted with this box-set. Not only has Jackson created an epic film, he has also put loving care into this box-set to the extent that you wish all directors could be like him.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best way to watch LOTR, 25 July 2011
Firstly - the extended films are a must for any avid LOTR fan. I can't recommend them highly enough.

Second - The films may be spread out over 2 discs, but this really isn't that big a deal, and the quality more than makes up for this(bear in mind the dvds are also split over 2 discs). With the blu ray is is possible to see the creases cracks and imperfections on the maps and faces in the films, and the cgi is glorious. It is also quite good if you don't have 4 hours to sit down and watch one of the films in its entirety.

Thirdly - The packaging is great. Glossy, made to look like a book, perfect.

Finally - over 26 hours of bonus material - 3 extra discs to accompany each film. This is going to keep me busy and entertained for a long time.

I would say if you have been stalling over buying this, just do it. I know I was, but I am really happy with the decision to go ahead and buy it. Recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars A genuine review, not a rant, 30 Jun 2011
D. Smith "myownmind" (Doncaster, S. Yorkshirs United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
The reproduction of the films in blu ray is superb. Some of the scenes are so well reproduced that there is an undoubted 3D quality about them and it is possible to see detail which was not evident before. There are scenes that I could swear that I am seeing for the first time so I am going to have to cross check with my original DVDs.
The packaging is excellent.
The films themselves are, of course, without parallel and stand in their place in film making history.
Two discs for each film? Er.......get a life. It's cup of tea time or time for a snack. I remember the time when the mark of all epics at the cinema was that they had an intermission. Don't ever remember hearing anyone say 'Ben Hur, Spartacus, Towering Inferno etc. Not for me! They have an intermission.' There are some really daft people. It's a sign of the times - I WANT IT NOW!
DVD extras - not blu ray. Oh Hum!
Of course the late release is a marketing ploy but in waiting for the release of the extended versions I wasn't taken in by the original blu ray release.

Yes, some people can moan. I'll watch the films.

By the way Amazon, thanks for the refund when the product turned out to be cheaper. Very refreshing in this day and age.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the wait! Simply stunning!, 5 July 2011
Well, what can I say?! This is the "one" we've been waiting for...... and it certainly doesn't disappoint!
The picture quality and 6.1 surround sound are simply stunning! Every detail on screen is crystal clear.
After borrowing a friend's copy of the theatrical blu ray version of the movies a while ago, I was a bit concerned that these would be of the same so-so quality.
I was wrong: they are vastly improved, and the quality is breathtaking...

Personally, I can't understand what all the fuss is over the supposed "green issue" with "Fellowship" - I couldn't notice anything strikingly different! Looks absolutely fine to me!
And as for the naysayers who are whingeing about the film being split over 2 discs: for goodness' sake - get a life will ya?!!
These movies would never look as sumptuous and gorgeous as they now are if they were compressed onto 1 little itty-bitty blu ray.
I really don't see what the problem is with changing discs over either: on average, these movies last around 2 hours per disc anyway...... so who WOULDN'T want to get up, give their bum a rest, fix a drink and give your legs a bit of exercise??!! (For the record, I timed how long it took me to get up and switch a disc over: 23 seconds). Not too much of a hardship is it?!

Anyway, just to reiterate: THIS is the box set you need. This is the best the movies have ever looked (and sounded) and this is the best you're ever going to get. Simply superb.
You won't be disappointed. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.