5.0 out of 5 stars Noooooooo tweaking on this Blu-ray!
If ever there was a must have Blu-ray box set this is it. With the exception of Star Wars , this box set is quite possibly the most sort after Blu-rays out there and I wasted absolutely no time at all when this dropped through my letter box and was in my Blu-ray player in under a minute!
Published 24 months ago by Julian

1.0 out of 5 stars Drastic image manipulation destroys Douglas Slocombe's original vision
First things first. The Indiana Jones trilogy comprises my three top films of all time, and there are none that I have held in greater anticipation on Blu-Ray. The prospect of seeing veteran cinematographer Douglas Slocombe's beautiful, lush, detailed, atmospheric cinematography in high definition as it was originally MEANT to be seen was irresistible.

It is...
Published 24 months ago by Martin Thomson

5.0 out of 5 stars Noooooooo tweaking on this Blu-ray!, 11 Oct 2012
This review is from: Indiana Jones The Complete Adventures [Blu-ray] [1981] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
Can never decide which is my favourite Spielberg movie , Raiders or Jaws , but just glad that I now finally own them both on Blu-ray.

Picture transfer is once again just breathtaking. Crisp , clear although the first thing that I noticed on Raiders was that the whole film seemed to have what can only be described as a "gold filter" over the camera lens , which has a noticeable effect with the colour compared to the VHS and DVD releases.
This is by no means a bad thing , but I have read numerous (although somewhat exaggerated) complaints about it , but for me , it just makes the film feel more like the old action serials that it intended to be like , and the colours warm and more pleasing to the eye...For me anyway.
Only have the one minor gripe about the transfer which is , ever since the introduction of Hi-Def images , particularly on older films , they do tend to show up flaws in camera work. Notably in Raiders , the scene where the tarantula runs across Alfred Molina's chest appears to be completely out of focus , and the scene where Indy is hiding behind some wooden crates before he steals the undersized uniform is really quite grainy (or speckling effect) , but these are the only flaws I've noticed with the first three films and if you blinked , you'd miss them , so will quite happily let it go.
Truth be told , my real apprehension of this transfer was with Mr Lucas's itchy fingers attached to the films.
Have to say , I was a little nervous about buying this box set before reading any reviews about it , but his involvement in the restoration is not apparent.
Absolutely "Nooooooo" tweaking here , apart from the deleted reflection on the glass from Indy's encounter with the cobra that was done a few years ago , which I think is universally agreed is a good use of CGI tinkering and can't possibly believe anyone , not even a hardline purist would complain about it.

The sound is presented in 5.1 DTS master audio and sounds fantastic. John Williams , with yet another iconic score just sounds staggering and the gunfight in Marion's bar sounds like Indy's firing a cannon with every gunshot.
The almost cartoon-like "THWACK" with every punch , which was always purposely exaggerated , sounds even more so with the new sound and is definitely more satisfying to hear.
Although I do find a little too much use of the subwoofer with this transfer which seems to be used on everything , which is more unusual rather than a complaint , but hey! Thats the neighbours problem !

The extras are excellent and most die hard fans would have already seen the majority of the 7 hours worth , most of which have been transferred straight from the VHS and DVD releases , which again is not a bad thing as I like to have them all in one place rather than having to keep older formats just for a particular feature.
The only new addition to the features that I've noticed is the "On set with Raiders of the Lost Ark" documentary with some rarely seen gag reels , deleted and alternative scenes which was an absolute joy to watch , and even though I consider myself a die hard fan of these films , I must have missed these over the years as I'd never seen them before.
If , like me , you ever wondered how Indy survived the long journey atop of a submarine without drowning , then one of the deleted scenes gives you the answer... Kind of.

I could waffle on about the other movies but will just say , ALL of them are beautifully transferred , and Temple of Doom is fully uncut for the first time on UK shores with a minute or so of extra gore and violence... And swinging through trees with monkeys aside , I like all the films.

Not quite as good a transfer as Jaws or the Alien Anthology box set , which has set the bar very high indeed for quality in older movies on Blu-ray , but I really am talking about minuscule differences here and its very difficult to select the best quality out of the three.
Its a shame that Paramount hadn't stuck to their guns as they had announced that all their films released on Blu-ray would be in 7.1 sound , and to be fair , every film from them that I've bought has been... this being the only exception so far.
Still , in my humble view its perfectly fine and definitely deserves a very worthy 5 star rating for an outstanding transfer to Blu-ray , and think you'll be very impressed with this box set nonetheless , and for me... DEFINITELY , A MUST BUY !

5.0 out of 5 stars The Greatest Action Films of All Time, 27 Aug 2008
'Raiders of the Lost Ark'

For all the criticisms George Lucas has received in recent times, we must remember that he did manage to come up with this gem of an idea for a perfect action movie, and in doing so he created one of the most iconic action hero's that cinema has ever seen. A role perfectly played by its star, Harrison Ford.

The script, written by Lawrence Kasdan, is expertly directed by Steven Spielberg, who by this stage of his career was firing on all cylinders. He takes Kasdan's script and perfectly balances the dialogue with the action creating a finely tuned fast paced action film.
The opening scene and the `Truck Scene' showcase Spielberg's uncanny ability to create stunning set-pieces within his movies. This is something that really sets him apart from other directors, and makes 'Raiders' not just one of the best action films of the 80s but one of the defining action films of all time. 5/5

'Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom'

Second time round for Indy and in my opinion the third best movie.
At the request of George Lucas, scriptwriters Willard Huyck & Gloria Katz turned in a far darker and more foreboding script than the previous movie. George felt that the second film should be a lot darker, following in a similar vein to the second Star Wars film, `The Empire Strikes Back'.

With a lot of script ideas left over from `Raiders' the film certainly wasn't short on creativity or action set pieces. But, it seems Spielberg wasn't entirely comfortable with the "dark" direction George had decided to take the franchise. Spielberg wisely injects a lot more humour into the script, which is handled very well by Harrison Ford and Ke Huy Quan, creating some highly amusing scenes. Kate Capshaw's performance as Willie Scott is routinely criticised, and admittedly there is a lot of screaming to contend with, but in my opinion I feel it's a well balanced performance that doesn't detract from the other actors, or from the actual film.

My main criticism is that a great deal of the movie is spent within the Temple itself and I felt the film could have benefited had they made more out our hero's escape. I'm every bit as grateful as our intrepid action hero to see daylight after so many hours spent in the doom and gloom.

Although this is one of the weaker films in the cannon, it still remains a thoroughly enjoyable, extremely fast-paced, exciting action epic, knocking spots of any imitators. Thus proving that, even Spielberg on a bad day is better than most directors on a good day. 4/5

'Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade'

A perfectly balanced sequel, with some fine comedic chemistry from Ford and Connery.

This remains my favourite Indy sequel/prequel. Spielberg gets a firm grip on the reins and delivers, arguably, the finest of the Indiana Jones movies.
The real genius lies in the addition of Sean Connery, who plays Indy's Father. It works well and provides some great on screen chemistry between him and Ford, thus creating some laugh out loud comedic moments. Ford routinely pulls faces and shrugs shoulders as his Dad continually undermines him. I have always felt that Ford's comic ability is greatly underappreciated, and it should also be noted that Ford is one of cinema's finest physical actors, reacting to kicks and punches like no other actor, and in doing so, adds tension and excitement to the films most exciting set-piece, the `Tank Scene'. 5/5

'Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull'

Nineteen years in the making, and numerous screenwriters that all had Ford, Spielberg and Lucas banging heads over the films overall direction. The question is, was it worth the wait...?

Well, I found the opening sequence thoroughly exciting, and after Raiders, I consider it the best opening sequence of the franchise. There have been criticisms of the flying fridge scene, and although it is 'over the top', it is by no means anymore unrealistic than Indy leaping out of a plane on a life raft, or a mine cart jumping thirty foot over the breaks in the tracks. I think the problem with this scene is that it shows Indy as an indestructable super-hero, and that is not what Indiana Jones is about.

Harrison Ford, although obviously older, delivers a decent performance as the ageing Indiana, and Shia LaBeouf tries to make the best out of an underwritten written character. But where the film really fails is with the other supporting characters; Ray Winstone's Mac, is badly written and underdeveloped. The film misses out on what could have been a great performance. Karen Allen reprises her role as Marion Ravenwood, she lights up the screen upon her arrival, but sadly doesn't have much else to do for the rest of the movie. The wonderful John Hurt is utterly wasted, and the likeable Cate Blanchett delivers one of the worst and most ineffective villians to ever step in front of the camera.

My biggest criticism is that the `Jungle Chase' lacks any tension whatsoever, and the blame has to lie with Hollywood's current fascination with CGI. It doesn't look real, and makes it impossible for your brain to immerse itself into the action. You have no belief that the characters are in any peril. However, negatives aside, parts of this film are very enjoyable.

This films faliure pretty much lies within the script, and Spielberg's lacklustre direction. David Koepp's script lacks intrigue and character motivation, only an amateur script writer would have a double agent reveal himself in the first five minutes of the film, and having read Frank Darabont's `City of Gods' script, there is no doubt it would have made the better movie, and it is a terrible shame it wasn't the script they decided to go with. 2/5

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Entertainment, 20 Oct 2012
I shall start with the films first. The picture quality is great but not perfect as there is slight graining but nothing to worry about. The sound has been improved and does make for more involved viewing. The only extra's to be found on each film disc are trailer's used to advertise themselves at their release, hardly pushing the boat out. The bonuses have been kept for the 5th disc where you will find alot of documentary footage galleries and not much else. The Collector's set I am actually pleased with unlike other reviewer's. I really like the notebook which is really well put together although the writing is like a truelife doctor's and need's a little time to read. I was rather hoping that they were going to include the South Park episode which would have been fantastic. I had never seen the 4th film untill this release and have to say I am still in two minds, It's not horrifically bad as the other film's are'nt perfect but can't understand why Alien's are involved. Would have been just as happy with the trilogy collectors edition but perhaps in time we will all get used to the 4th film. Would also have been nice to have the box in wood just as Rome season 2 was released in dvd. Instead you get cardboard which unfortunately will not close properly. Again LOTR box has a hidden magnet mechanism to ensure this and so it can be arqued that this release was designed as a money making exercise. 5 Star's because of the origional trilogy and the notebook just don't pay too much for this set, I paid £60 as I pre-ordered and therefore am not at the mercy of cynical seller's. There are rumour's that there will be another film in the future as the 4th is considered abismal by so many so you may want to hold off for a few years, I am more than happy with this set and see no reason on buying (if there is a 5th film) as it will mean nothing to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic set, 14 Oct 2012
Ever since the launch of Blu-ray there has been one set of films I've been waiting to see and now it's here at last. It's easy to understand the delay in releasing it when you see all the effort that has gone into remastering both the picture and the sound. If you want to know more about the picture or sound quality read the review here as it says much more than I could -[...]

Now this is the limited edition set which as of now costs about extra £20 over the regular set. What you get for the money is a larger cardboard book styled box which contains the regular release inside it as well as the art cards, film cell, grail rubbing, matchbook, menu, tickets and diary. All nice little bits but unless you are a die hard fan I'd have to say you're better off saving that money for something else.

Value for money on this set is fine at £40 for the regular set that's £10 per movie with a free bonus disc to keep you happy too. Those saying it's rubbish mostly seem to be people moaning about the 4th film and yeah it's not as good as Raiders or the Last Crusade but it is what it is and I'd rather have it than not and have the individual releases which will come out at about £15 each so it won't be saving you money (if you're expecting a trilogy only release then don't kid your self, it won't be coming)

The only real gripe I have with the set is that despite all the extra features on the bonus disc there is no audio commentary on the films themselves which is a shame but I think that almost everything they would talk about is hidden away in that extra disc, just need to find it all!

So all in all I think this is one of the best sets I've ever bought, yes it could have been in a more luxurious box but you'd be paying more for the privilege, yes Crystal Skull isn't as good as the originals but it's still a good film (nuclear proof fridge aside) but if you're an Indiana Jones fan these films haven't looked any better than this and the set is a must have!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great collection of the greatest adventure films ever made., 25 Sep 2012
Lasse Pettersson "Señor Montalban" (Pueblo de Los Angeles) - See all my reviews
This box set came out here in Denmark today. I love it. I have also ordered this Limited Edition because of the memorabilia. The movies look amazing. Simply stunning. If you have any doubts, don't. The video and audio everything it should be. I personally don't mind the fourth movie, but the ones I will be seeing are "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and "Last Crusade." The second movie never appealed to me (never liked the Willie Scott character) and I will even go as far as saying that I like the fourth one better. The bonus features will take me about a year to see, I reckon, even though I have seen a lot of it before. I don't think the price is bad for the amount of quality and contents you get, so I see no reason to hold out for individual releases. I guess it's a matter of taste.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant movies, excellent box-set, 4 Mar 2014
J. Richards "The Icon" (Caldicot, South Wales) - See all my reviews
What can i say that hasn't been said before. Having owned the 2 previous Indiana Jones DVD sets (the first containing the first 3 movies, the 2nd with the addition of "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull") i was more than happy to pick-up the Blu-ray set. Films themselves are excellent, the transition to Blu-ray is stunning. Lucas Arts have done a similar job as they did with the Star Wars set, took each scene and gave it a frame-by-frame remaster. Upping the sound, picture and colours to something that can easily match modern movies. This set contains all 4 movies (Raiders of the Lost Ark, Temple of Doom, Last Cruisade + Kingdom of the Crystal Skull). All of which are re-mastered beautifully. And for the first time, the set contains extras that are worth watching.

Moving onto the packaging, a well designed boxset with individual slots for each disk. Which folds away nicely into the sleeve, none of them separate cases of old (i always dislike that, not exactly a box-set if there are separate boxes for each movie/program.)

Recommended to all.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Own Blu-ray Collection, 9 Oct 2012
Pantheon (Boston, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Quite simply one of the best motion picture series' ever made, the Indiana Jones films are finally on blu-ray. And, boy, was it worth the wait.
The frame-by-frame restoration of Raiders pays of superbly with the picture being stunning and looking like it was made last week. The other three films are equally as impressive.
The sound on all three films is DTS and varies from brilliant to very good. Some of the sound effects seem overly enhanced (gun shots seem overly lound compared to explosions for example) - but, nonetheless, a vast improvement over the DVDS.
I haven't watched the extras yet, but at first glance there are multiple featurettes and trailers for each film. Nothing else in the way of extras though - no galleries, outtakes, deleted scenes etc.
As for the memorabilia in this release (the Limited Edition release); I have to admit to being a little disappointed. In the pictures these things look amazing, and, while they're lovingly produced they seem small and inconsequential when taken out of the box. Also, the lack of a Crystal Skull piece is noticeable. I would have like a small glass skull paperweight or something like that.
Anyway, this set is a must-own for any lover of the series or blu-ray collector. Personally, I like all four films and wouldn't want this set to have any missing.
Lastly - for the first time ever Temple of Doom IS uncut!!! I'd never seen this version before and it is great to finally own it.

A note on the sound - the ONLY language in DTS is English, the other languages (German, French, Spanish) are only in Dolby Digital 5.1

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful transition to Blu Ray, 6 Sep 2013
SBno1 - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Why is this box set so expensive when trilogies, quadrilogies and antholgies of other film franchises are so much cheaper?
I think the answer to that is that the films are still so popular and watchable time and time again.

Indy Has become such a heroic figure over the years. Whilst the character of an adventurer was nothing new, the idea of a nerdy professor turning into a dashing gun-totting whip-cracking hero was totally different. Harrison Ford played the part perfectly and deserves a lot of credit for bringing the character to life.

I don't think many would argue that the original film was the best, but there are a lot of arguments over the next few films. I didn't particularly rate the Crystal Skull, but at the same time it was a fix that the Indy fans needed, myself included.

I took the plunge and paid out for the Blu-Ray versions and I am so glad I did. I have many films on DVD and I just know that they would be equally good/bad if they were on BR, but this set is so much better because of the higher resolution. There are many films that have had such a wow factor when they came out on BR and this is one of them. If you were to advertise the advantages of BR this film set would be in the top set. It is visually stunning, vibrant, bursting from the screen. Clarity of the characters faces and their expressions add life to the films.

This really is a showcase set. If you are a fan of Indy and are contemplating DVD or BR, go BR you will be so much happier that you did.

I don't comment on audio as I only have TV speakers and whilst the sound was clear and good, I am not in a position to say how much better it is than DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have collection!!!, 3 Sep 2014
May contain *spoilers*
Where to start??

I know a lot of people are still whinging about Kingdom of the Crystal skull, but really time to get over it. So what if there were aliens, there was supernatural and various religious powers in the 3 previous films. Its Indiana Jones, its about adventure and fun. So sit back, chill out and just enjoy.
Anyway back to the set.
This is without doubt the best these movies have ever looked and sounded.
It contains full versions of all four movies including all the scenes that were cut out of Temple of Doom.
Also included is a bonus disc with over 7 hours of extras.
My opinion?? Every film in this set is 5 stars, enjoyment from beginning to end.
Bit pricey on here but can be found cheaper elsewhere

5.0 out of 5 stars Hardcore collection for hardcore Indy fans, 7 Feb 2014
Fantastic collection. There's a ton of stuff in here so I'll divide it up into the films and the accessories.

Films: The transfer quality of all 4 films is very good, pretty much what you'd expect from blu-rays that had some decent effort put into their production. The special features are generally kept on a separate blu-ray because there's so many of them - featurettes from both the and now, fascinating shorts on specific elements of production, the works. The blu-rays are kept on a separate box folder.

Accessories: Oh wow. Postcards, film print replica celluloid, other stuff - stuff you'd normally see in special edition sets. What sets this apart is the replica diary of Dr. Jones Sr, it's an awesome novelty :)

Indiana Jones  The Complete Adventures [Blu-ray] [1981] [Region Free]