Size: Printer + Start Up Toner|Change

on 1 January 2011
We had an old HP1002 at work which got broken after about 7 years, so for speed of replacement, I bought this and claimed it back on expenses. The purchase was based on it being very similar, as the old one had been so reliable, much more so than a complicated large colour printer/copier/scanner in the main office. This so far has been exactly what the user wanted, small, efficient and good quality black and white prints. It will be heavily used as the old one was, and so far its ticking all the boxes.
Would recommend as long as you don't want colour at all.
on 26 November 2010
A simple honest laser printer that plods on without fuss or ceremony. If you're looking for a reliable black printer look no further.

I've had mine for over a year with no issues and have just bought a second one for a friend who's also delighted with it.
on 25 October 2010
I've made use of this family of printer for the last seven years and have not been disappointed. Its great for personal and small business use. No frequent ink-jet cartridge changes and better quality print. Duplexing is available, which saves on paper! I use one at home for me and the kids and at work in various areas for workgroup printing. A practical, well designed workhorse. No problem recommending it.
on 22 March 2011
I have found none of the problems reported by some other people - certainly no smoke appears!. It is a quiet efficient little machine and it is easy to swap from A4 paper to envelopes and back.
I found it paid to use the CD that comes with the unit rather than letting Vista try to set it up. If your previous laser printer used a USB port make sure you remove it, as Vista tried to assign the new printer to the same port as the old one
Another advantage of this printer, is you can buy perfectly acceptable replacement toner cartridges which are cheaper than the official HP ones. Have a look at the Amazon site for suppliers and prices.
For me, in my small Home Office this is a perfect mono laser printer
on 5 June 2012
I bought this very quickly on the spur of the moment to replace an HP 1320 which packed up suddenly after about 6 years. I bought it for its duplex capability which I use often and which was an excellent feature of the 1320. Set-up was very easy and build and print quality are excellent. AND, it was cheap -- as cheap as the spare HP cartridge I bought at the same time.

There are 2 cons for me:-

1. Duplex printing. This is manual but it doesn't say so in the up-front specs. You have to take the first printed sides out of the tray and put them back in the paper tray. This is no big deal BUT on the 1102 the paper doesn't alwys feed back into the paper path straight, resulting in a slanting second page. This was not a problem on the 1320 which fed the paper back in automatically for printing the second side. I should also say that I can feed paper back into my inkjet printer for second side printing with no registration problems and have been able to do so with other non-duplex printers. It is all to do with how the paper is held in the paper tray.

2. The print cartridges are low capacity, only 1600 pages compared with 6,000 on a high capacity replacement for the 1320. Compatible cartridges can be bought for around £20 on the internet (HP brand cost around £60).

I was tempted to only give this printer 3 stars because of my 2 cons but, to be fair, I should have looked more closely and paid a bit more for a "proper" duplex printer.
on 13 July 2010
I will start by saying that this is an excellent printer which I fully recommend.

However what I tried to order was a P1006 which was unavailable. I have a P1006 on another computer.

This means that I have lost the versatility of having the same cartridges and results in my having both a 35a and a 85a in stock at all times.

On the other hand the P1102 is much quicker and has never jammed

I do fear that the toner will be very expensive. For that reason I am printing two pages per side of A4 for many of the documents that I print for my own use.

I have noticed a cloud of chemicals emerges from the printer after it has been used. I avoid using it when the window is closed.

But yes it is a very efficient product
on 26 May 2011
As others have described this printer before me, I would just like to point out that the cheapest toner that one can get for this printer starts at around £50 and this seriously needs to be weighed in when buying the printer - my toner ran out of juice after printing a few hundred pages. All in all, the trend that printers are cheap, but cartridges cost as much seems to have entered the laser market (but has been common practice among inkjet manufacturers).
44 comments|45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 May 2016
So far so good. Few months of using and quite heavy load. Toner lasted quite a lot 800 pages of regular density. Annoying pop up messages with non original toner. Massive flaw - lack of single paper loading tray which is VISIBLE on one of the pictures, but indeed is NOT available in non wifi version. It was disappointment when it arrived, as this function is what I use often and was one of the criteria of picking up printer. However regular tray is ok for manual loading on top sheet, vs not as good in other printers, so compensates. Now will see how long will HP last vs my old printer which is 7+ years old and still in working condition. Cheap replacement toner (not original). But. Will see if it won't damage the printer. Massive flaw, no reset button. After any error - classic, switch off and on and RESEND job to the printer. Was laughing when that happened. 10 years ago it did work auto. Now, I have to do it prehistoric way, switch off and resend the job to the printer, which, if you have large print, is ANNOYING. To find right page, etc. And if you are printing 'booklets' - nightmare. Loading tray could fit more paper, since, there is no single tray use, could fit easily another 100% of paper.
on 14 February 2012
had an epsom sx 515w printer all right at the start,then kept missing lines
so thought look around and try a laser printer only wanted a black and white
printer read the reviews on amazon and sent off for this one arrived v.quick.
well packaged but no usb lead still used one off other printer, set up was very easy
on windows 7, tried printing something, wow that was quick and not very loud
2 seconds to print brilliant, paper feels warm excellent on a cold day
345 mm wide x 260 mm deep including plug at back and 195 mm high
best bit was the price £ 66.20p the toner cartridges are pricy but also read the review
on here about the lower priced toners and no problems so if you want a black and white laser printer
this is brilliant AAAAAAA+++++++++
11 months on just replaced toner cartridge excellent value for money
on 30 November 2010
I bought this for home use...Print bulk of notes and references related to my studies.
They deliver within one day as promised (which is really nice specially when you have just one week left for exams)
Package contains everything but what I didn't notice is it didn't include the USB cable.
So I have to buy one separately. So keep that in mind when you make the purchase.

When it comes to printing I'm really happy with the product. It print fast, can print duplex and got real good response time as well.
I would recommend this product for anyone to buy...