Top positive review
50 people found this helpful
on 7 February 2012
Original review Feb 2012:
Bought this chair in Dec for our daughter, in anticipation of starting weaning. (Note that at least towards the end of last year the price fluctuated - from something like £199 then £165 then £150 and finally £125 for the Orange/birch colour on Amazon - albeit way cheaper than anyone else, and with free delivery)
Aesthetically it is a very nice design, and the small footprint means it can be easily accommodated in our fairly small kitchen. In general we find the design to be practical and our daughter seems to really enjoy the chair and find it comfortable.
Two drawbacks encountered so far (week 2 of weaning):
1. As mentioned in other reviews, the tray is not a solid piece, but rather two main parts clipped together, containing a spring mechanism that is part of the adjustment mechanism (enables you to adjust how near to your child the tray is - 3 positions - or easily remove it, all one handed). The adjustability is great. What isn't is that the tray is not sealed, so I can envisage water and food seeping in. You cannot dunk the tray in the sink as doing so would flood the internals with water, which I can imagine would take forever to properly dry out. So cleaning has to be limited to wiping with a cloth.
2. It turns out that the white plastic of the tray easily stains - in our case, with a butternut squash puree. I contacted Oxo UK, and their reply suggests that this is well known. They said that their tests (by the 'US design team') showed that fairy liquid and a scourer would eventually remove staining - but that results would not be 'instantaneous'. I have tried this approach without success so far.
So, all in all a bit of a mixed bag. Looks great, lots of great design features, but has a couple of drawbacks related to the tray that might be a deal breaker for some.
Edited July 2013, to add:
- With our daughter about to turn 2 the tray (no problems in practice) and straps (easily removed) have long since been removed and the chair is simply pulled up to the table, where it fits very nicely. She can climb into the chair by herself (still needs supervision getting down).
- We really love this seat, which has served us very well, is easy to clean and still looks great. Compared to chairs used by friends' children etc it has a very small footprint and does not dominate the room it is used in (kitchen).
- The staining issue with the tray wasn't as permanent as it seemed, certainly not a deal breaker.
- Don't forget to occasionally check the screws are tight.
I originally gave this 3 stars, but reckon 4.5 is more like it. Very happy.