4.0 out of 5 stars Great bag for travel !
Published on 1 Dec 2010 by Camgirl

2.0 out of 5 stars Gave me a hunchback
Bought this for six months travelling around South America. Developed deep love /hate relationship with it.

Published on 7 Dec 2012 by Rosie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great bag for travel !, 1 Dec 2010
This review is from: Berghaus Jalan 65 + 15 Women's Rucksack (Sports)
I spent 3 weeks in Asia, getting on buses, planes and boats, but also hanging off the back of moto-taxis and tuk-tuks. I had orginally hesitated about getting this rucksack with wheels -but I have absolutely NO regrets. I really like the 2 comparments, the day bag is just the right size (although it could have an extra pocket inside the main part), and the rucksack is very comfortable to carry.
If you don't plan to trek up a mountain, I highly recommend this rucksack... i was completely in love with it from the first day of my trip - the wheels were really great for saving my back !

Negatives:
- the day bag could have an extra zipped section inside it
- if you're over 1m80 then you might have to bend down to roll the suitcase

Positives:
- removable day bag, which is not only zipped, but can also be clipped onto the bag, and has 2 little hooks that can be used to hang off the front of the rucksack when you're in busy/crowded streets.
- 2 sections: 1 lowersection, the main part has a mesh zip ideal for travel towel, sarong, flip flops, silk sleeping sheet, etc.., and there is a super secret little pocket which I used to keep my "home" wallet" and it has an extra pocket that rests on top of the inner compression straps (ideal for dirty laundry and wet bathing suit).
- confortable fit
- several handles to carry it upright or on side
- great compression straps

2.0 out of 5 stars Gave me a hunchback, 7 Dec 2012

Loved that it was big enough to easily carry all my gear. Loved that it zipped all the way around so packing and unpacking was easy. Loved the separate compartment at the bottom. Loved that the zips never once acted up under the strain of use and slid easily together to be locked. Loved the storm flap that covered the zips. Respected the fact that it was invincible.

Believe me, I really tested its durability. My preferred method for getting it down big flights of stairs was to just wait until nobody was in the way and then push it off the top step. I actually kind of wanted it to burst open and fall apart.

Bringing me to the hate side of the relationship.

I absolutely, deeply, profoundly hated that it didn't have a proper handle.

Not only does it not have a telescopic handle to allow you to drag it behind you - which means you have to develop a hunchback walk to lean down, sideways and backwards while dragging it (6 months of this really, really, really took its toll) - but the grip which it does have at the top is just a strip of tough reinforced nylon. Which means if you're dragging it for any length of time, or having to use it regularly (like every day for 6 months) it cuts into your hand and gives you blisters and whimpers-disease until you build up the raw callus on your palms to withstand it.

As a result of this one obvious and unforgivable failing, I hated this bag. Passionately.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy and lightweight, 19 Mar 2013
This review is from: Berghaus Jalan 65 + 15 Women's Rucksack (Sports)
I bought this for my daughter to go travelling around South America. She has a bad shoulder so the fact it had wheels and was lightweight seemed a good idea. She has been travelling for 3 months now and so far she is very pleased with it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings..., 2 Mar 2014
This review is from: Berghaus Jalan 65 + 15 Women's Rucksack (Sports)
This bag has been with me throughout the last 19 months of world travel. It is made of good solid robust fabrics and has reliable zips however there is a major flaw with this bag.... It is in dire need of an extendable handle. I am 5"6 and I had trouble dragging this bag as it is just not designed to be dragged. You have to contort your body sideways else it constantly catches up with you hits you in the back of the legs which means you drop it and in turn it damages the fabric on the bottom of the bag and on the corners.

All this bag needs is a little more thought to add an extendable handle, more comfortable handles in general and a rain cover and it would without doubt be the market leader. Until then, I am going to be looking for a new bag for my next 19 months of travels as I have had it with this one!!

As much as I would like to sadly I don't recommend this bag.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 4 Aug 2014
This review is from: Berghaus Jalan 65 + 15 Women's Rucksack (Sports)
I travelled a lot back in the nineties, but now it's my kids turn. I picked this one as the reviews seemed pretty good , the only down side is the height of the handle when using the wheels, but my daughter is only 5ft so I can't see it being a problem. Several times while I travelled having wheels would of been brilliant so one of the big reasons I picked this one.It's got the smaller Pac as well which is really handy to have big enough for drinks food and your documents, doesn't have separate pockets , which one at least would be good.. Once we worked out the straps (as she's so small )we loaded her up and off she went. It's not to heavy to start with which is good., having the bottom for sleeping bags worked well. The material is hard wearing, so the airport staff can throw it about and it seems to cope well., also you can pack the straps away so they won't get court up in any machinery. She is really pleased with it, works well for her. A great rucksack ..

4.0 out of 5 stars ms, 3 April 2011
i was a little unsure about using a wheeleed rucksack but having travelled 1 month in Thailand i found it fantastic. i didn't have it on my back very often though but found the wheeled part of it invaluable. Because i was on and off boats lots it was nice and compact. my only complaint would be that when you don't have the day pack on your rucksack the there is nowhere for the straps to go so they drag on the ground and can get frayed and damaged. overall i would never travel without wheels on my rucksack ever again a great product

4.0 out of 5 stars Adaptable and Brilliant luggage for a traveller, 23 Jan 2012
This review is from: Berghaus Jalan 65 + 15 Women's Rucksack (Sports)
Bought this for my daughter to use in Norway and Australia. Perfect size and comfortable, even when full. The wheels make it easy to drag round airports and are a brilliant addition. All the straps neatly fold away behind a zipped panel, which actually could be a little thicker as ours got a small tear on it's first flight.
Reason it didn't get 5 stars: It has all the loops on the detachable backpack for an elasticated bootlace for that additional bit of last minute storage, magazine etc. but no bootlace supplied. We had to buy one from an outdoor camping shop. Cost very little, so it should be supplied considering the overall price of the luggage. Still a great deal from Amazon and it was delivered within 48hrs of ordering.

4.0 out of 5 stars 4 stars backpack, 29 July 2012
This review is from: Berghaus Jalan 65 + 15 Women's Rucksack (Sports)
Great backpack with a lot of adjustments which allow to customise the product according to your needs. Big advantage- the wheels which make a life of each lady much easier ;) Unfortunately, one star lost due to the poor day-backpack. Not enough of compartments and the regulations don't work properly. But as it's only the addition to the real stuff (backpack), can't refuse to give 4 fully deserved stars!

4.0 out of 5 stars Berghaus W Jalan 65+15 Womens Large Capacity Luggage - Black/Thunder, 80Lt, 5 Jan 2011
This review is from: Berghaus Jalan 65 + 15 Women's Rucksack (Sports)
I am really happy with this product but I was lucky that it was the perfect size for me as if you are a bit taller(1.68m) it can be a bit unconfortable not having an extendible handle to use the wheels. Really useful and spacious.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 17 Feb 2012
I bought this on the basis of the Amazon reviews and was really quite disappointed. First, although it has wheels, it doesn't have an extendable handle with which to pull it along. This means that (a) unless you're really quite small, you have to lean over and down to reach the fabric handle at the top of the bag and (b) more importantly, it bashes against your ankles and twists off its wheels. I found this incredibly frustrating when wheeling it around airports.

The other annoyance is that the detachable daypack (which was the other reason I chose it) has no internal zip pockets or organiser. So if you're using it for your daypack on a long flight, there's nowhere to put your passport, keys, wallet, boarding pass, pen etc except in the general melee with all your other stuff. There's a tiny zip pocket on the outside, but that's hardly secure for valuables.

Other than that, it's perfectly OK. But I wouldn't recommend it, particularly for long periods of travel. It will only annoy you.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›