Format: DVDChange

Showing 1-10 of 33 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on 3 February 2011
Sean Lock must be the most underrated comedian in Britain today and deserves to be put up on a pedestal with Sam Kinison, Geroge Carlin and Stewart Lee. Yes, very different to those three - not immediately subversive or political but in terms of the way in which he manipulates and subverts his subject matter he is up there with the greats. To the comically uninitiated, Lock must look like a "clever" observational comic, yet he is much more than that. There is an underlying sense that Lock "gets" comedy and knows that on the surface, what he does can be conveyed as straight observational routine. But look further and much of what Lock does relies on the intelligence of the audience; that they have a knowledge of the mechanics of comedy and the idea that as an art form, comedy is there to be played with and poked at.
Elsewhere, he is typical of the tradition of British self-deprecation ("not funny but not boring either") while adding to the mix a dose of surrealism, deadpan and physical comedy - the latter of which he manages to pull of dressed in a middle-management suit and glasses while dancing like Madonna. No doubt the physical side of Lock's comedy is enjoyable but what Lockipedia provides is a blend of comedic styles. Added to that, Lock never offends, and there is a warmth to his routine but there is no hiding the anarchic undertone that stands Lock apart from the current crop of "TV" comedians.
Perhaps what is so refreshing is that Lock is a fearless comedian who manages to maintain a broad appeal. Add in a sublime sense of the ridiculous, and (cliche though it may be), there is something for everyone in Lockipedia. I hope it gets the recognition it deserves. Hard to believe that the first thing to come up on a google search of his name is "Sean Lock not funny". There must be a lot of people who don't understand comedy. Buy it now.
on 8 November 2010
Me and my girlfriend saw Sean Lock the other day at perth concert hall, he was absolutely hillarious. I love his sense of humour its truly unique. I,ve been to see Jimmy Carr twice live aswell and these two guys are by far my favourite comedians of all time. I just wish Sean would start doing more tours every season, his stories and jokes are amazing. Highlights of his show include how he gets revenge on his daughter when she pours ribena all over his computer and also what it would be like to win a night in bed with Madonna. Buy this dvd you will absolutely love it!!!
44 comments19 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 October 2010
Can't wait for this DVD to come out. For those of you who have been to the Lockipedia tour you'll know what you're in for. For those of you who didn't you missed Sean delivering belting stand up and super slick interaction with the audience. Not only was it extremely funny but really therapeutic too as some of lifes annoyances were dealt with in Seans inimitable way. He's a man utterly at ease with an audience and highly skilled in going off track and reacting to the crowd. Seeing him on TV I'm always impressed with how he carries the shows he appears on and that charisma and unparalleled humour will appear here. I say that because although I haven't seen the DVD yet I did witness one of the shows on the tour and I laughed til I ached. Am looking forward to reliving the memories of that great night out. Thanks Sean.
22 comments17 of 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 May 2011
This Blu Ray is a great addition to anyone's stand up collection or Blu Ray collection.

I hadn't seen any of Sean Lock's stand up at the time of purchase ,but I had seen him on various TV shows and thought he was very humorous, so I was a little skeptical when buying it. I am glad I bought this now. His weird humour appeals to me and is bang on with some of his jokes. I was laughing right through this and I was constantly entertained. It's a great buy and thoroughly recommended.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 12 February 2011
I have been a big fan of Sean Lock for quite a while now, and in anticipating 'Lockipedia' I haven't been disappointed. He maintains the laughter rate all through the show, and every couple of minutes says something that will have you laughing out loud and resulting in the type of ache that hurts but is enjoyable! He mentions all sorts of things in his humour, two of whom in this show involve Piers Morgan and Nick Griffin of the BNP. Piers gets off fairly lightly but what he said about Nick Griffin was so funny (and cruel) that if you are not Nick Griffin you will laugh until your sides hurt and if you are Nick Griffin I expect you will cry till your sides hurt!

Anyway, for my money Sean Lock is one of Britain's funniest comedians and stand-ups along with Bill Bailey and Jack Dee for sheer ability to make people laugh.
VINE VOICEon 27 November 2010
I remember feeling a teensy bit underwhelmed by his first DVD last year. After enjoying so much of his TV work, where he constantly steals the show, I found his DVD merely 'good' (though it has grown on me after repeat views).
This one, however, is right on the money. His set is sharper, the laughs come thicker and faster and he makes it all seem so effortless, with a genuine warmth to his personality.
And the whole thing runs for almost 100 minutes too, giving this real value for money. It's become a tradition in the last few years to see all the big stand-up comedians release a new DVD in November, and there is a lot of very good choice, but Sean Lock must be top of your list. Fantastic stuff.
on 1 December 2010
I've watched 7 of the stand up dvds released this christmas and this is one of the best. I chart them at... 1.Sean Lock 2.Frankie Boyle 3.Tim Vine 4.John Bishop 5.Rhod Gilbert 6.Lee Mack 7.Ricky Gervais.
Hope this helps!
0Comment8 of 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 November 2010
Watched this today and it's great.
I've seen the new DVD's for him, Frankie Boyle, Jim Jefferies and Simon Amstell this week and Sean's comes out on top for me.
Plus the show is almost 100 minutes which is much longer than most (usually 60 minutes) so is really good value.
If you're thinking about getting this for Christmas or whatever, you wont regret it.

As a sidenote Boyle's and Jefferies' are both really good also.
Amstell's not so much imo.
on 19 April 2011
what can i say he is just brilliant, when im down and feeling sad i just put this guy on and he makes me laugh. though not as good as his first but everthing is like that even the movies the sequels are never as good as the first movie.
on 21 October 2011
as always entertaining comedian as we had expected. makes a great present amongst other bits and bobs, we both enjoyed it and can use it lend to friends anytime.