Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Paperwhite Shop now Shop Now Shop now

In The Still Of Night
Format: MP3 DownloadChange
Price:£8.49

on 17 May 2010
I am not always a fan of everything this singer does; her bel canto singing leaves something to be desired and her diction in some languages isn't great. But what I DO admire is her refusal to rest on her laurels, and instead explores a wide repertoire. This is what makes her an exciting performer: she takes risks (a rare thing today).

I was sad when she said, some time ago, that she was turning her back on Russian repertoire. Her Russian Album is one of her finest recordings. Happily she has relented and returned to her homeland (spiritually at least) for this recording.

Not all is perfect. Her voice often sounded a bit too unwieldy for the niceties of coloratura. On this evidence it has got larger and darker too, with the beginning of some vibrato problems. Nevertheless, no one since Vishnevskaya has sung these songs so convincingly (and Netrebko is sweeter toned than the magnificent Galina).

The Rimsky-Korsakov songs are the least well known. What a shame - they are enchanting and not without depth. The famous Rose and Nightingale has been recorded by Netrebko before - on her Sounvenirs album (with soupy orchestration). I prefer the original piano here (Barenboim no less). The Tchaikovsky songs have a different flavour and make this a really worthwhile and interesting disc.

To conclude: not as mellifluous or sheerly beautiful as one might expect, but nevertheless a really fascinating disc with some unjustly neglected music suitably and passionately revived.
on 24 December 2010
This is Anna Netrebko performing her home country's art songs, mainly songs by Rimsky-Korsakov, and Tchaikovsky.
I have had Galina Vishnevskaya and Rostropovich's 1978 version on EMI for quite some time, and this 2009 concert version by Netrebko and Barenboim is in more respects than one the finest release on these repertoire since that 1978 recording.
Anna Netrebko has progressed from a cream-voiced bland vocal idol to a flesh and blood singer. Her earlier release 'Souvenir' represents a giant artistic step forward for this much-hyped, stage-animal sort of superstar.
Netrebko's timbre suits these works well, as was Vishnevskaya's. The major differences between the two sets of recordings are that Barenboim is a trifle less involved than Rostropovich at the piano, and in some pieces, Netrebko is being left all on her own in the dynamics and emotional out-pouring of the songs. Also, Netrebko, though much younger in age than Galina was in that 1978 recording, has more of a vocal problem than Galina, though younger of voice. The breathing is all too evident and causes quite an amount of distraction. In 'The Rose and the Nightingale' one immediately discerns the difference in terms of age between Galina and Anna, but otherwise, Netrebko's voice isn't quite able to dip into the depths of the songs' emtional involvements, with her rather limited vibrato and much-subdued nuances.
True that these songs call for an overall lyrical mood, but while Vishneveskaya was fully capable in painting differing vocal pictures in each individual piece, Netrebko's approach is much more generalised, and the differentiation in the various songs' moods no where as vivid as Vishnevskaya's.
It may still take some time for our star soprano to reach the same artistic maturity as her elder compatriot.
For the time being, this album is perhaps the finest one could find on the current market.
on 27 October 2010
This is a nice disc, no doubt, and I agree with the comments of "lionheart". However I cannot understand why it doesn't include the libretto. It is not a cheap CD and songs are not "standards". This is a lack of compromise of DG with their clients. Can anyone blame against piracy in the sector if the majors sell a product in these conditions?
I would like to remark also against amazon. In my understanding a better information of the product they are selling should be part of their service.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 13 February 2013
I saw this concert on Sky Arts and enjoyed it very much however I would strongly suggest listening to the sample clips before buying this album. I see no point in covering what the other reviewers have said. The recording quality is good enough and the actual performances by the two artists are very good indeed.

However if you are a fan of Anna Netrebko and found this doing a random search on amazon you may find this repertoire more challenging to listen to than some of her more popular mainstream work.

However if you enjoy Russian recital music then this is about as good a recording of these songs that has been made in the past 3 decades and shows she has more strings to her bow than the big operas.
on 2 December 2010
Well performed yes, but such flimsy liner notes and the absence of texts are just not acceptable. What a pity to waste such singing with a cheaply produced proudt
on 21 February 2011
I normally thoroughly enjoy the performances of both these proven world class performers- but not here.
Daniel Barenboim the maestro plays in a warmm, thoughtful, langorous style ideal for a small venue. Anna Netrebko aounds as though she is singing to the back of a major concert hall but has had her volume reduced by someone during the recording process.
Anyway the result is, for me, is that this particular voice/piano combination does not work
on 9 July 2010
Music absolutely wonderful. Really enjoyed it.
One big flaw was when I tried to copy the CD to my MP3 player I was dismayed to find that I had a Japanese version of the CD so Volume and Track information is useless as I do not read Japanese.
on 23 April 2010
I have to admit that the piano/voice combination doesn't really appeal. The performers are skilled artistes and I'm sure the result is good. The cover photo does not impress.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...