4.0 out of 5 stars Creepy ghost-hunting game, with good 'jumps'.
Published on 17 Dec. 2010 by Dark Paths

3.0 out of 5 stars It's alright...
First, before I actually get into the review, I must explain three things. Firstly, I have had no previous experience with J-horror. Secondly, this is the first horror game I've ever played. And thirdly, I'm thirteen so I haven't had all too much experience with the genre horror all around.

The basic plot in Calling is that there is a website called The Black...
Published on 25 July 2010 by Claire Eriks

3.0 out of 5 stars It's alright..., 25 July 2010
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Calling (Wii) (Video Game)

The basic plot in Calling is that there is a website called The Black Page, where you can supposedly talk to the dead. However, if you visit this website, your physical body will end up in a coma, while your spirit will wander the Mnemonic Abyss, a place where ghosts live. The locations in the Mnemonic Abyss are made up of the memories of the dead, and you can't just walk out of places, because outside the buildings there is just nothing-ness. Using a mobile phone, you can transport from place to place, and try to escape the Mnemonic Abyss because, if you stay there for too long, then you will eventually become one of the ghosts that haunts it.

Good points in this game are:
*Fairly realistic looking graphics (for Wii, anyway)
*A few really good "pop-up" moments when things just jump out at you
*Some of the ghosts are quite freaky
*You can take photos using your phone and then send them to your Wii message board
*Ghosts will sometimes send you messages and pictures on your Wii message board

Neutral points in this game are:
\The whole "using your Wii remote as a mobile" idea; while it could have been really good, I can still hear the ghosts talking on the other end of the phone without putting the remote anywhere near my ear - even when the sound is on setting 1. However, I still put it against my ear to go along with it.
\The controls can be a little confusing at first. I remember when I started playing this game that I felt a little ill because it seemed much too easy to move the camera. Eventually I got the hang of it and didn't feel sick after that at all during game play.

Bad points in this game are:
x A good few of the ghosts in this game look more funny than they look scary. Quite a lot of times a ghost has made me laugh because of it's ridiculous appearance.
x It's easy to get lost; particularly in the school and the hospital. I spent a lot of my time scanning the map while I was in these two areas.
x When you "complete the game" you have to play it through all over again. A few new chapters are added, but you still have to play through the ones you have already done. Apparently you can skip the ones you have already completed, but I found no option for this at all.
x There is a lot of walking around and searching in this game. There are a few good freaky parts to make up for it, but sometimes it seems like you will be walking forever.
x If you choose to have Japanese audio, sometimes (not too often, thankfully) there aren't subtitles to translate what they are saying. I know a little bit of Japanese, so I can translate a word or two, but it's still not enough to actually understand what they are saying.
x Sometimes (in cupboards and stuff) there is Japanese writing, which, again, they do not even bother to try and translate. They could have had some kind of subtitle come up when you see the writing, but they don't. Not even if you have the English audio on.

I would recommend it to people new to the Horror concept, but not anybody who is a hard-core horror fan. It's a good little game if you are bored or just want another new Wii game to add to your collection. Don't buy it if you have other games you want to get first.

Do not get this game if you have Pediophobia (a fear of dolls). Trust me, you will get freaked out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Creepy ghost-hunting game, with good 'jumps'., 17 Dec. 2010
Dark Paths "Dark Paths" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Calling (Wii) (Video Game)
I'm a big fan of ghostly games, like Dark Fall: Lost Souls (PC DVD) and Project Zero 2: Crimson Butterfly (PS2), so The Calling was a bit of a surprise treat. Controlling the action was easy, with a creative use of the Wii remote as a flashlight. This adds a huge amount of atmosphere, suggesting you really are exploring unknown and spooky places, late at night. Playing on your own can be a spooky affair, but invite others to join you for more fun.

Pros:

- Very 'J-Horror', with spooky audio.
- Longer than expected (yes, I'm looking at you, Grudge game!)
- Scary for a 12 certificate.
- OK gfx, for the Wii.
- Complete story, with a definite end.

Lastly, watch those 'quick turns', as you're bound to spot something dark, and nasty, loitering just at the edge of your vision. I screamed with shock the first time it happened.

4.0 out of 5 stars BEST SURVIVAL HORROR GAME ON WII!, 6 Nov. 2010
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Calling (Wii) (Video Game)
Okay this review is my opinion so its what i thought of the game, the other review i would have to dissagree with, i thought the game was better than they thought.

Okay so basically the game is, about this website called "the black page" its kind of like a messageboard. People are attracted to this website because 3 school girls who went on that site, died. So the opening is basically messages and you learn about the website.

The controls are kinda weird to begin with, but once you get used to them you'll be finding it easy.
You play as a girl named rin kagura, (i think). There is many pop ups, that will make you jump. Its quite a long game aswell it will take you around 12 hours+ depending on how good you are. It's a very scary game to be honest. The cutscenes are decent, and the graphics are average but good for the wii.

A nice feature which i thought made it more scarier, was when you get "called" by the ghosts, because you can hear them through the phone, you have to put the wii remote to your ear, and you can hear them talk to you out of the wii remote. Sometimes when they talk to you, it makes it more frightening.

+ the save points are the cutest save points ever, BLACK CAT DOLL! LOL.

I would reccomend this game to anyone who likes survival horror. The controls are similar to Project zero 4/Fatal frame 4. If you are not sure if this game isnt for you, id adivse you to watch gameplay clips on youtube or watch the first few parts of a walkthrough on youtubee.

The plot line is quite good and it makes you want to carry on playing, you learn more stuff as you go on.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's not as bad as people say, 15 Jan. 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Calling (Wii) (Video Game)
Okay, so I got this game after googling 'scariest games on the wii'.
It was rated #1 on both IGN and Gamespot, so I said to myself "hey why not" and brought it. It arrived within three to four days and when I started to play it, I realised that I was playing a somewhat underated J-horror game.
I am a very, very big fan of horror and J-horror and before I played this game, I had never been scared of anything (other than Tarman from Return of The Living Dead) but when I started to play it, I eventually felt quite scared and this game had me screaming left right and centre.
I can't give any examples because that would ruin the experience of the game.
However as scary as this game is, there are still problems with it.
The voice acting is awful
You can't skip levels even though the American and Japanese ports can.
You arn't very well informed of your goals in the game. (However for me, this was a good point and added to the experience)
And the actuall ghost encounters are not as scary as the ones that are, shall I say, hidden.
The game, is, not as long as it could've been, but still is an enjoyable and scary game for any fan of horror and J-horror.

I definitly recommend buying this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant J-Horror throughout~!, 19 Aug. 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Calling (Wii) (Video Game)
I am the kind of person who hates any kind of horror no matter what it is~!
But, I needed a new Wii game and I was told that this game was really good, even though it was also very scary. But, I sometimes like to watch scary things just to give myself a good scare because...well, I'm weird like that~~
But, I enjoy playing this game a HUGE amount (even though someone needs to be in the house with me when I do~)

This game is very good at making you jump! There are many, MANY parts of the games where ghosts will jump out at you and I have screamed every time a ghost has appeared because I get so into it and when they appear, it's really quite shocking~!
I haven't completed the game yet because I do come across some parts that I struggle to pass because some locations where your character can be are really big and therefore, hard to get around.
So, I have been using cheats to get passed some parts, but I'm glad I did because I would probably still be quite near the start~!
But, because this game is originally Japanese, you come across writing in the game which unfortunately hasn't been translated into English, which is quite a bother because you struggle (obviously) to understand what they say.
But other than that, this game is very good and I recommend it to anyone, even if your one of those people who doesn't like horror (like me) because I'm the same and I find this game a lot of fun, and it's also quite funny when ghosts appear because despite is being scary, the fact they scare you is a laugh when your with people~!

So, I hope this review is helpful. Obviously, it's just my point of view, but if you are reading this debating getting the game, I recommend you do~!

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't keep my 12 year old off it !, 29 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Calling (Wii) (Video Game)
She has not stopped playing it since Christmas. So it must be good. She now informs me that she is on the secret chapters.

2.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 5 May 2010
A. Seewald (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Calling (Wii) (Video Game)
I got this game after playing Silent Hill Shattered Memories, thinking it would be in the same league - it's not. The graphics are good, but the game pretty much deals all of its cards within the first 10 minutes of the game and then you spend the rest of the time walking down corridors and escaping ghosts - so much that it becomes tedious, unfortunately.

Disappointed.

Calling (Wii)
Calling (Wii) by Konami (Nintendo Wii)
Used & New from: £49.99