5.0 out of 5 stars A movie to be enjoyed by children of all ages, from 6 to 60!
Published on 7 April 2000 by brucek@tpg.com.au

1.0 out of 5 stars The Railway Children
I've always loved this film and was so pleased to purchase it as it was listed as having subtitles. To my dismay this isn't so - being deaf I can only watch with subtitles so I have wasted my money and been very disappointed as I thought I was in for such a treat.
Published on 1 Jun 2011 by Alice Emma

5.0 out of 5 stars A movie to be enjoyed by children of all ages, from 6 to 60!, 7 April 2000
brucek@tpg.com.au (Canberra, Australia) - See all my reviews
Actually, make that from 6 to infinity! When I first watched this "flick" as a first run at the local movie-theatre I was enchanted by it. (I think I immediately developed a crush for Jenny Agutter that I've never actually lost!). The story, the cast and the setting just combined to produce a beautiful production. Much later it popped up on TV and once again I thoroughly enjoyed it. Recently I spent some time searching for a VHS copy so that my children could share my experience and I was delighted to find that "The Railway Children" is still available; I immediately ordered it. This is a movie that should be seen by everybody, no matter how old we are, and one that should be forever available for purchase. I gladly recommend it without any hesitation whatsoever. (BK)

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful film, wonderful acting, 3 May 2008
This review is from: The Railway Children [DVD] (DVD)
The Railway Children is essentially a film about people who are not afraid to care about each other without expecting anything in return. The story probably seems to many people today to be an unlikely fantasy. Is it really possible that a group of children would take the time to go around town and collect birthday presents for some guy who works on the railway? Well, when you consider the film is set over 100 years ago, it's quite possible. What else did kids have to do with their time when the most advanced consumer product was the pocket watch? The day was still 24 hours long but there was no TV, mobile phones or boy bands to waste your time on. Back then, people probably had the time to be kind to each other and they could do it without fear of being scammed.

The children's acting is extraordinarily good. Jenny Agutter shines in her first major film role and Sally Thomsett is the most natural child actor I've seen to date. The adults do a good job too with Bernard Cribbins at his best as the railway guy whose pride gets the better of him.

The DVD is fine but not great; there are no extras at all and the picture is a bit smudgy in the night-time scenes. It is however quite clear in the bright daytime scenes with no noticable grain.

The film is presented in 1.66:1 format (15:9) which is not wide enough for a 16:9 screen and leaves dark bands at the left and right. However, according to the Internet Movie Database this is exactly the format the film was made in so this is more a note than a complaint.

Notwithstanding the lack of extras on the DVD, the film is so good that I'd still advise you to buy it. If I had a time machine, I'd forget the future and I'd go back there, to a time when children waved at trains and got excited by a paper-chase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite Simply, the BEST Children's Film Ever Made, 5 Aug 2000
By A Customer
The above summary says it all, really. "The Railway Children" is truly children's cinema perfection... but don't think this is one just for the kids! This film evokes an era of innocence, honesty and simplicity that maybe never actually existed, but does so without being saccharine-sweet.
The acting and the direction are first class, and the film is shot through with both extreme humour and beautifully moving moments. How hard-hearted would you need to be to fail to be moved by Roberta's birthday party, and not stifle a tear or a sob during the almost unbearable 'stop-motion' daughter and father reunion scene?
Whether "The Railway Children" can have an impact on children who have been raised on films such as "Toy Story" and "A Bug's Life" is open to debate. But to deny them the opportunity of seeing such a genuinely enchanting piece of film-making is little short of a crime.
So often, we hear the phrase, "this is one to treasure"; in this case, it truly is. Buy it... NOW!

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of the Blu-ray edition of The Railway Children (1970), 2 July 2010
Steve (Leeds) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Railway Children - 40th Anniversary Edition [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Most people know about the film itself, so I will concentrate on the actual Blu-ray edition itself.

For me, picture quality is the most important aspect of a DVD or Blu-ray issue, and this Optimum Blu-ray is of high quality, and certainly an improvement on the DVD. The main benefit is sharpness; there really is an almost 3D quality (no, not the 3D with specs stuff which is currently the latest fad) in places. A great deal of the film was shot on location and some of the scenery shots draw you into them. Grass and leaves of trees can be difficult to reproduce, but here they are crystal clear. Details are generally clearer than the DVD and railway fans may well find this an essential purchase for this reason (I did). There is a little grain but not much. Colour in the outside, location, shots seems natural, although I did wonder about the colour balance of some of the studio shots. Nothing serious though. The sound is allegedly basic stereo, although listening via my TV I couldn't notice much in the way of stereo, just good clean mono. Overall, an excellent transfer.

Much of the film was shot on the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway in West Yorkshire, and one of the Blu-ray extras, 'Now and Then- A Retrospective documentary on The Ralway Children', has some of the railway workers who appeared in the film giving their memories of the filming. The other extra, a series of interviews with some of the stars of the film, is pleasant enough, but you won't learn a great deal.

If you are interested in the making of the film, I strongly recommend the short booklet 'The Making of The Railway Children', The Making of "The Railway Children" , produced by the railway itself, which gives far more information and is well worth its modest price.

Back to the Blu-ray disc; an excellent transfer of what has now become a classic family film.

Strongly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Railway Children [Region B] [Blu-ray], 18 Aug 2012
For a very long time The Railway Children film has been one of my all time favourite British film and despite the actors are now older, it does not matter to me, as the whole film is a total delight and I know there are also a lot of other people out there who loves this film, as ALL the actors are so totally brilliant at their job and the Director Lionel Jeffries did such a professional job and shamefully this film never got an Oscar. Despite this, the film will always be a total favourite and will always falls under its magic charm.

As to this Blu-ray, well I originally had to put up with the DVD, which is quite good quality, but when I finally received my Region B Blu-ray copy, I was absolutely stunned by the highest quality images I got to view and you cannot believe how long ago this flm was made and the people who produced this Blu-ray did a fantastic job.

Finally, to those out there who have not gone the Blu-ray route, well sadly you are missing something totally unique and special and seing this film again in the Region B Blu-ray, you will not believe how beautiful this film looks and I never get tired of The Railway Children, as I have seen this film so many times, but in Blu-ray makes it a totally awesome experience.

Mr. Andrew C. Miller
Le Cinema Paradiso

5.0 out of 5 stars A true classic, 29 Jan 2009
L. Robinson (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Railway Children [DVD] (DVD)
This film is a true classic, it makes me cry every time I watch it-Big Softy I know! It takes me back to my youth and the imagination of a child. well acted and the stuff of legend the characters are believable. I recently went to Yorkshire (near Howarth) and walked the Railway Children Walk, to see the sites where the film was shot. The Three Chimneys still stand you will be glad to know!

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic evocation of childhood, with Jenny Agutter as 14-year-old Bobbie; directed by Lionel Jeffries, 29 Oct 2007
C. O. DeRiemer (San Antonio, Texas, USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Railway Children [DVD] (DVD)
The Railway Children, at least this 1970 movie version written and directed by that long-time British character actor, Lionel Jeffries, is an unmitigated...classic. It tells a childhood story with great simplicity and charm; the sentimentality is muted; the evocation of childhood adventures is involving; and Jeffries brings cleverness and style to his production.

The Waterbury family is leading an idyllic life in Edwardian London. The father is prosperous, the mother is beautiful and loving, the children are well-mannered and affectionate, their home is warm and cozy. Then one night during the Christmas holidays two men appear at the doorstep, talk quietly to the father, and then take him away. In a moment the lives of Mrs Waterbury (Dinah Sheridan) and Bobbie, 14 (Jenny Agutter), Phyllis, 12 (Sally Thomsett) and young Peter (Gary Warren), have been changed. Only their fortitude and good spirits are going to see them through. Now teetering into poverty, Mrs. Waterbury takes her children to live in a musty old brick house in the countryside near a rail-line, not too far from a small village with a train station. The children discover the rail and regularly sit on a small hill to wave at the passengers as the train chugs by. One day an old gentleman, going to his business in the city, looks up from his newspaper and finds himself waving back. It's not long before he will play an important part in the story.

As time passes, Mrs. Waterbury brings all her love and intelligence to bear on her children. She begins to write stories to earn money. She teaches them their lessons and provides a home of warmth and security for them. The story, however, is about these three children, especially Bobbie. At 14, she is old enough to want to share her mother's worries, yet young enough to enjoy the adventures she has with her sister and brother. They find a poor man at the station who cannot speak English. They discover he is a Russian refugee who no longer knows where his wife and child are. They insist he must come home with them, and their mother takes him in. Before long the children have written a large sign to the old gentlemen on the train asking for his help. They help a young man taking part in a steeplechase who breaks his leg in a train tunnel. Soon, he is at their home recuperating. They decide to have a birthday party for the station master, a man with few friends and several children who is a stickler for his dignity. It's not long before the children help him realize the difference between friendship and charity. In other words, the three children encounter all sorts of problems in their childhood adventures, and manage to be instrumental in seeing that all the problems have happy endings.

But what of their own problems? Bobbie finally learns from her mother that her father was taken away because he had been accused of treason, of giving state secrets to the Russians. Will Bobbie be able to find a way to help? Will the old gentleman be something more than simply an old gentleman on a passing train? Will their father's case be reopened? Will there be a happy ending?

Jenny Agutter was almost 18 when she filmed her part; she plays the 14-year-old Bobbie with great naturalness and charm. As important as the other players are, especially Dinah Sheridan as the mother, Agutter is the heart of the story. For me, it is Jenny Agutter's talent and Lionel Jeffries' style and restraint that make this movie so memorable. The story's problems come with no serious doubt but that they will be solved. And Jeffries does not just give us an expertly adapted and directed movie, he adds touches that are barely noticed but which charm us. This might include just a split second of a freeze frame as two people talk; or a slow close-up of a small, yellow wildflower in the grass outside Bobbie's home, then a slow pull-back from a yellow oil lamp being turned up inside; or the realization that a delightful interior shot or a view of the green countryside or a look at the train station from a hill...all suddenly recall those charming Edwardian hand-tinted drawings of a perfect by-gone time.

Perhaps this gentle story can't compete for the time kids need nowadays to perfect their Nintendo monster-splatting skills. I'm almost positive it would never capture the attention of most of their parents, especially those weaned on Batman and Leone. Still, it's a perfectly put together movie and shouldn't be forgotten. As an aside, 19 years later the story was retold as a television program. This time, Jenny Agutter played the mother.

The DVD transfer looks very good. There are no extras.

1.0 out of 5 stars The Railway Children, 1 Jun 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Best overall family film ever, 5 April 2000
M. Leblond (hayes, va USA) - See all my reviews
A wonderful family film,it will make you laugh,and cry.A great plot,and great actors.I first saw this film in 1972,and have not forgot it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Railway Children., 22 July 2009
This review is from: The Railway Children [DVD] (DVD)
Quite simply a very beautiful story of a sadly bygone innocent age when children were allowed to be simply that.... children. This is a TRUE celebration of the joy and innocence of childhood. The cast are superb, the story well written and heartwarming. I defy you not to cry as you share the emotions of these characters.A film to return to time and again. Out of the two versions. THIS is the one to have.

Railway Children - 40th Anniversary Edition [Blu-ray]
Railway Children - 40th Anniversary Edition [Blu-ray] by Lionel Jeffries (Blu-ray - 2010)
11.44