Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 6 August 2007
OK, Nirvana's "Nevermind" killed-off most of the so-called "Hair Metal" bands of the 80s, only the strongest survived. Bon Jovi re-invented themselves as a standard Rock 'n' Roll band with 1992s "Keep the Faith" (not to mention the famous "hair cut", widely atributed to have saved their career!), whereas some struggled in the post-grunge world and went the more "alternative metal" route such as Motley Crue and Skid Row. Whereas Motley Crue managed to keep some reminants of melody with Bob Rock producing their 1994 self titled effort, Skid Row went for a more brute-force approach when enlisting the same Mr Rock on production duties.

To be fair, the first time I heard this one I had been playing their first album and "Slave to the Grind" (especially the later) almost non-stop for a couple of years and like many was foaming at the mouth for "Slave to the Grind 2". That'll be why when I borrowed this from a friend when first released I listened to it once, judged it a complete din, failed to buy it and lumped Skid Row in the long list of bands Nirvana killed-off.

OK, 12 years later thought it was worth re-visiting (via a second-hand purchase) and I'm glad to say that time has been kinder to it than some other albums, possibly due to in part me getting into some heavier stuff like Megadeth, early Metallica, etc in the meantime.

"My enemy", "Firesign", "Eileen", "Into another", "Face against my soul" and "Medicine jar" would stand aside to some of the heavier tracks on STTG if they contained a tiny bit more of a tune, and "Breakin' down" wouldn't have sounded out of place as it is.

On reflection, glad I gave it a second chance, turned out to be a good album to drive to. Oh, and for anyone driving along the A272 around Cowfold, West Sussex most weekday mornings at around 7:45am, this would explain a rather sad 30-something bloke headbanging in his biege 1.6 VW Golf ;-)
on 1 February 2013
This album was slated when it came out, and wasn't particularly well received by the fan base. I've never understood why.

It came out around the time that the John Corabi Motley Crue album was released, another album that bombed because it wasn't what the fans were expecting. Much like the Crue album, Subhuman Race still sounds current, I suggest both will go down in history as being "ahead of their time". This remains a hardcore favourite amongst my friends and I, and always features along with Slave when the beers are open.

To my ears (which I confess have been relatively abused over the years) it sounds like a further step on from the previous two albums. There was uproar when Slave To The Grind came out. The first album was a grittier, dirtier Bon Jovi type record, and Slave was full on metal. Subhuman Race pushes that further, moving into territory occupied by the Metallica Black album, but retaining the sleaze and groove we'd come to love from Seb and Co.

I had the pleasure of seeing them on the tour they did after this album was released. That they'd gone from Docklands with GnR to the Cambridge Corn Exchange based on the sales of this album was a shame for them, but a bonus for the audience. They were awesome close up!
on 9 November 2001
If you played this album to a music fan, the chances are they won't know that it is Skid Row churning out these awesome riffs until a few songs in. For the simple reason that they have completely changed their style of music.
Die-hard Row fans might be disappointed with the lack of 80's style hard hitting rock that Skid Row helped move into the mainstream, but this all goes to show how talented Bach, Snake and the boys really are.
They have evolved to create an album that any lover of Rock music should have in their collection. Bonehead instantly grabs you with its awesome power and Bachs vocals bear a similarity with James Hetfield of Metallica, being gruff and evil whilst still reaching those trademark high notes with huge effect. Bob Rock produces the album which perhaps explains the resemblence between Row and 'tallica.(Bob Rock has produced with Metallica since '91).
In amongst this rocking album lies the beautiful Breakin' Down which is possibly the best display of Bachs brilliant vocals using his newfound gruffness to break up the high notes and make this track one of the best on the album.
All in all, if you are looking to purchase a good all round rock album, this has got just about everything.
on 17 July 2000
Skid Row's "Subhuman Race" received very mixed reactions from the fans. I have to say that this is understandable. The album is more aggressive than their previous two albums, "SKID ROW" and "Slave to the Grind". The album has some beautiful and brilliant moments. I think the problem with it was it kept veering toward negativity in the lyrics and occasionally launched a full frontal assault with the guitars in a way Skid fans were not used to. It may have helped some if the songs had been presented in a different order. The album starts with "My Enemy" in which both the guitars and the Sebastian Bach (Skid's vocalist) growl relentlessly. The lyrics are somewhat aggressive, for example, "You can be my enemy and I don't care". It may have been wise to ease folks in to the more aggressive songs by starting with something like "Firesign", which has a more familiar Skid Row sound to it. Some interesting highlights to this album include "Beat Yourself Blind", in which Sebastian Bach is given the opportunity to show his vocal diversity (although it is again not the typical "Skid Row" sound) and Dave "The Snake" Sabo's beautiful ballad "Breakin' Down". "Eileen", "Face Against My Soul" , "Into Another", and "Medicine Jar" are more like the style the Skid's fans were used to. "Frozen" is interesting nonsense. "Bonehead", "Remains To Be Seen", "Subhuman Race", and "Ironwill" are bending towards negativity again. I still rate the album an above average four stars. It is a very good album, I think it just takes a little getting used to. The vocals and presentation are wonderful. I think any Skid Row fan who gives the album a chance will end up loving it. In addition to "SKID ROW" and "Slave to the Grind", fans of Sebastian Bach's vocals can hear him sing two of these songs plus a whole lot of others on his new solo album "Bring 'Em Bach Alive", live and better than ever! If you're a fan of this end of the rock genre, you may be pleasantly surprised to learn that many of the bands have 1999-2000 releases! Check out some of your favorites today! "Don't wait for a better day. Or you won't get there at all."-Kane Roberts-(Used with his kind permission)
on 11 November 2015
Good album but not a patch on Slave to the Grind.
Arrived within delivery parameters and condition as described
on 1 March 2016
Would never live up to slave to the grind but it is still a good album that will be in my playlists.
on 27 April 2016
Recently 'rediscovered' Skid Row (not that I ever truly removed them from my playlists) and fell in love with the original line up all over again. STTG was a masterpiece in my eyes, a very tough act to follow but I love this album and how heavy it is. I love that they changed their sound a little. So many bands, no matter how good their sound, sound the same across multiple albums. Greatly underrated in my view.
on 14 August 2006
Listen to what 'very classy lady' has to say. This album is the sh*t. It is easily one of my favourite rock albums. Moments of brutal riffing and old Seb singing his heart out. I was gutted on seeing them in Bradford in 2004(?) and they didn't play ONE song from this, their best effort - in my humble...

In fact I am going to put it on again now. I feel threatened by how violently heavy Beat yourself Blind is. Do not mess.

Don't be a pussy. Buy it. NOW!
on 25 February 2004
This has to be one of the best albums that i have heard. Nice and heavy with some very good guitaring. I would recomend this album to anyone.
on 5 July 2015